Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Snake ID, Kaziranga, India

Old Thursday 11th February 2016, 18:46   #1
Ben88

Snake ID, Kaziranga, India

Jeppe Bundgaard photographed this snake while we were birding/mammal-watching at Kaziranga NP in Assam, India. The local guide called it a King Cobra, but he also said every flying Thick-billed Warbler was a Slender-billed Babbler and every singing one was a Marsh Babbler. Is this a King Cobra, or another species of snake, and why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5646.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	790.1 KB
ID:	573564  
Old Thursday 11th February 2016, 20:00   #2
Biancone
to err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben88 View Post
Is this a King Cobra, or another species of snake, and why?
Hi. I suspect this is a Naja rather than King Cobra Ophiophagus because I cannot make out the large paired occipital scales (behind the parietals) typical of King Cobra. But...I'm really out of touch so suggest you wait for other views! Regards,
Brian
Old Thursday 11th February 2016, 20:47   #3
Mike Richardson
Formerly known as Skink1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancone View Post
Hi. I suspect this is a Naja rather than King Cobra Ophiophagus because I cannot make out the large paired occipital scales (behind the parietals) typical of King Cobra. But...I'm really out of touch so suggest you wait for other views! Regards,
Brian
Without access to any field guides these were my exact thoughts. I think the Indian Cobra is also known as 'King Cobra' in parts of India along with various other common names. True King Cobras are much rarer and less likely to be encountered.

Last edited by Mike Richardson : Thursday 11th February 2016 at 21:00.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th February 2016, 04:09   #4
Ben88

I asked Vivek Sharma from IndianSnakes.org who identified it as a Monocle Cobra:

Quote:
King Cobra has 15 body rows while monocled has more than 20 in most of the body parts. On the posteriormost side of frame where mod body exists you can count scales are more than 10, so total dorsal scales rounding that body section will be some 19-21. Second thing i can see is presence of hood mark on the place where it should be present. In the same part of neck you can see black spot on the edge of ventrals. These black spots appear best when snake is displaying hood.
Old Saturday 20th February 2016, 08:44   #5
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben88 View Post
I asked Vivek Sharma from IndianSnakes.org who identified it as a Monocle Cobra:
Surely it's Spectacled rather than Monacled?

The black mark from what would be the opened hood which can bee seen, would not be there on Monacled but is in the perefect position for Spectacled?

It's harder than birding!

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 20th February 2016 at 10:00.
Old Tuesday 29th March 2016, 14:11   #6
SteveTS

Not a King cobra, just visible in this specimen is the small triangular scale on the margin of the mouth between the 4th and 5th lower labials, absent in Ophiophagus hannah and definitive for Naja naja.

Best wishes,
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: