Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Adaptor #3 ...almost.

Old Friday 2nd March 2018, 20:58   #1
Wetstuff

Adaptor #3 ...almost.

I have gone thru two that there was no way to jury-rig or modify to work. A third came: the 'Mobile Device Holder'. However, its jaw only opens to 53mm.

With a Dremel tool, I defeated the stop and was able to gain the few mm to open the jaws - now out-of-round.

You'd better be taking pictures of Civil War statues for how long it takes to position it. A suction cup works very well to hold a camera but you would almost need it to be pre-marked with tape as the range of position is too wide with the small available adjustments.

I only had an old phone at the shop, and I may be wrong, but would it not be better if the camera or holder blocked backlighting?

The wood/dowell holder one of you crafted is looking very good about now.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clunky1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	655277  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clunky2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	655278  Click image for larger version

Name:	Adaptors.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	655279  
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 13:30   #2
Wetstuff

Update... PhoneSkope makes two universal adaptors - all the ones I had seen were the smaller version. One of the large version popped up on Amazon - used. This one came without the typical second piece that is the 'phone case' portion but was cheap.

With some trusty self-adhesive Velcro I am able to mate my wife's old iPhone 6 case with the eyepiece grip. I have yet to use it in earnest, but the proof-of-concept is validated. Next, I adapt a case for my wife's, newer +model.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSA1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	656313  Click image for larger version

Name:	PSA3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	656314  Click image for larger version

Name:	PSA4.jpg