Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden Tick Rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2018, 07:49   #51
h14nha

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14nha View Post
We have another house, it has a very very small garden, about 6m long by 4m wide. The birds we get in there, is amazing for its size. Backing onto a stream very close to farmland it's alive with birds and hard to keep the feeders full. Typically, 1330 and the feeders are empty
Thought I'd revive this old thread. The purpose of starting it was I was laid up after an operation and wanted to occupy my hours alone in the house. My last thread stated we had another house, well about 7 weeks ago we moved in temporarily whilst waiting for another house to come up for sale in the area we want to live in. The garden is 6mx 4m ( 20ft x 12ft for the oldies and our American friends).

Its a bit unruly as we haven't been here for nearly 2 years, I filled the feeders up, Sunflower hearts, Peanuts and Niger seeds and within minutes we were counting birds. So far, since 10 January ( I've counted the most birds seen at any given time like the Big Garden Birdwatch )

1. Blackbird m&f
2. Robin x 2
3. Great Tit x 7
4. Blue Tit x 7
5. Coal Tit x 4
6. Long Tailed Tit x 12
7. Greenfinch 2m & 2f
8. Goldfinch x 5
9. Chaffinch 2m 7 2f
10. Bullfinch 2m & 2f
11. Wren x1.
12. Siskin 4m & 2f
13. Magpie x 2
14. Jay x1
15. Nuthatch x3
16. Great Spotted Woodpecker 1m & 1f
17. Collard Dove x2
18. Tawney Owl 1m & 1f ( heard calling in the night regularly )
19. Redpoll 1m & 1f
20. Redwing x4
21. Starling x2
22. House Sparrow x2
23. Dunnock x2

Since my original post I now have 3 children under 5. The older two are up running about at the moment in front of our French doors with all lights blazing scaring off the birds every now and again.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 11:50   #52
Isurus

Realise this is well old but since its resurfaced I have continued to apply "Fugl's Law" as regards things which could have been seen from the garden but weren't (only current difference is Osprey) - stops one "needing" to turn round and go back up the drive in a rush when something good flies over a car, the back of which is full of toddlers who do not wish to do that.

I've also instituted a rule that says escapes etc which wouldn't go on the big list can be counted; rationale being this is a list of avifauna using the garden and its airspace irrespective of their ongoing populations. This means I have both the feral red junglefowl which turned up to join our own chooks and, less obviously, red-legged partridge, both on the garden list but not on the Guernsey list
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 13:25   #53
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
I've also instituted a rule that says escapes etc which wouldn't go on the big list can be counted; rationale being this is a list of avifauna using the garden and its airspace irrespective of their ongoing populations. This means I have both the feral red junglefowl which turned up to join our own chooks and, less obviously, red-legged partridge, both on the garden list but not on the Guernsey list
OK... so are the feral chickens on all the islands then? Michael Howard (something of the night about him still) covered them being a menace on Jersey on Radio 2 this lunchtime, and a load of rubbish was talked by all, as usual, from introducing foxes to setting up old chickens' homes. Is yours a migrant/vagrant from Jersey?

Cheers

John
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 16:02   #54
Isurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
OK... so are the feral chickens on all the islands then? Michael Howard (something of the night about him still) covered them being a menace on Jersey on Radio 2 this lunchtime, and a load of rubbish was talked by all, as usual, from introducing foxes to setting up old chickens' homes. Is yours a migrant/vagrant from Jersey?

Cheers

John
Well they're definitely not as prevalent as they were in BVI (where I like to think of them as an accidental rewilding substitute for de Booy's rail). We don't have so so many but there are a few little colonies that have appeared. Most of them are males (unsurprisingly) but a few hens around too. Our feral was a hen and she has successfully produced some rather fantastic looking chicks with one of our cockerels (we've taken them back into captivity). Perhaps more interesting to you is the alleged colony of feral guinea pigs I was talking to the visiting small mammal researchers about!
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 16:41   #55
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
Well they're definitely not as prevalent as they were in BVI (where I like to think of them as an accidental rewilding substitute for de Booy's rail). We don't have so so many but there are a few little colonies that have appeared. Most of them are males (unsurprisingly) but a few hens around too. Our feral was a hen and she has successfully produced some rather fantastic looking chicks with one of our cockerels (we've taken them back into captivity). Perhaps more interesting to you is the alleged colony of feral guinea pigs I was talking to the visiting small mammal researchers about!
Thank you, interesting stuff. Our foxes go mad for chicken (roasted) but the halfwit contributing to the radio programme clearly had no idea about the history of introducing biological control agents to islands or indeed anywhere.... they might well eat the chickens but then they'd start on everything else.

I heard a rumour about feral guinea pigs on Tresco a few years ago as well. What is it about island life????!

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: