Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Super High Pitched Whistle at Night?

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 16:21   #1
hoosierquilt

Question Super High Pitched Whistle at Night?

Okay. I am not even sure if it's a bird or maybe a bat? I am hearing this super high pitched whistle that sounds like a taxi or dog whistle at night. Sometimes it's repeated twice, most times it's a single: Fee-oh-WEE Sound. Just like you were calling your dog or a taxi. Three toned whistle: medium-low-high whistle. NOT a person, way way too high pitched, very thin and clear, almost at the non-hearing threshold (which is what made me think of a bat). NOT a frog or toad. Know all of their calls quite well. Any ideas in the birding world what bird this could possibly be? I'll try to record it if I can catch it. May not be loud enough to capture from my bedroom window in the middle of the night, but it's just started up over the last few weeks. I'm in N. San Diego county, about 7 miles from the ocean, in the very rural hilly area of Vista. Lots and lots of open land, scrub, trees. So puzzled. Have never head anything like this, and definitely NOT a human whistle.

Last edited by hoosierquilt : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 16:25.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 23:06   #2
wimvdam

Could it be the flight display of an early morning (Costa's) Hummingbird?

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA

Last edited by wimvdam : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 23:38.
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 23:57   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

My guess would be Killdeer as I have them fly over my yard at night. Check Cornell's page for sounds of the Killdeer

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Killdeer/sounds

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 01:43   #4
hoosierquilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimvdam View Post
Could it be the flight display of an early morning (Costa's) Hummingbird?

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA
Doubt it. This is in the middle of the night. Hearing it after 10:00 pm. Hummingbirds are roosted for the night. I'm not hearing it early in the morning, but more around 10:00 pm to maybe 1:00 am. But, that's the pitch. It's that high. Almost beyond our hearing, I'm surprised I can hear it. And, it's always the same 3 notes, just like you were calling your dog. Or whistling to get a taxi.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 01:45   #5
hoosierquilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin View Post
My guess would be Killdeer as I have them fly over my yard at night. Check Cornell's page for sounds of the Killdeer

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Killdeer/sounds
Nope, for sure not a Killdeer. We had tons of Killdeer on our property when I lived in Indiana. Their song pitch is much lower than this 3 note whistle I'm hearing, and I've never heard a Killdeer has this very specific 3 tone whistle.
Old Thursday 4th July 2019, 15:44   #6
hoosierquilt

I now have a recording of this whistle call, hope someone can ID the bird for me. Wondering if it's possible it could be a Hooded Oriole? Have lots of them here in my yard, but if that's the case, this is the first time I've ever heard one in 10 years have this sort of unusual call. It's a bird that has the lung power of an oriole, which is what's making me wonder if it could be the Hooded Oriol.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Whistle Bird Call.mp3 (186.0 KB, 19 views)
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 23:04   #7
hoosierquilt

Mystery solved thanks to Song Sleuth app: Pacific-slope Flycatcher.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: