Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 eBird/Clements taxonomy update - convergence with IOC/HBW mentioned

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 13:34   #1
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 799
2019 eBird/Clements taxonomy update - convergence with IOC/HBW mentioned

From https://ebird.org/news/2019-ebird-taxonomy-update

"This year’s taxonomy update will be a “big one”, although changes in North America and Western Europe are relatively few. The large number of changes is the result of a comprehensive review of African, Asian, and Australasian species to reflect the best available information. After about 20 species are lumped, the global species total in eBird will increase from 10585 to 10721, including 3 newly-described species, 48 extinct species previously not included, and ~107 species added due to splits. A couple groups, including drongos (genus Dicrurus) and white-eyes (Zosterops) have some major shuffles that reflect new information. We assess each case independently for each update, but we are also pleased that this year’s update will make strides to better match other global checklists (e.g., IOC World Bird List and Handbook of Birds of the World). This will help reduce confusion globally."
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 15:50   #2
gusasp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
From https://ebird.org/news/2019-ebird-taxonomy-update

"This year’s taxonomy update will be a “big one”, although changes in North America and Western Europe are relatively few. The large number of changes is the result of a comprehensive review of African, Asian, and Australasian species to reflect the best available information. After about 20 species are lumped, the global species total in eBird will increase from 10585 to 10721, including 3 newly-described species, 48 extinct species previously not included, and ~107 species added due to splits. A couple groups, including drongos (genus Dicrurus) and white-eyes (Zosterops) have some major shuffles that reflect new information. We assess each case independently for each update, but we are also pleased that this year’s update will make strides to better match other global checklists (e.g., IOC World Bird List and Handbook of Birds of the World). This will help reduce confusion globally."
About 20 lumps, interesting! Let's start the guessing game. I'm placing a bet on the following 20 old Clements-only splits and/or results from new studies:

Nothura chacoensis
Megapodius forsteni
Schoutedenapus schoutedeni
Hemiphaga spadicea
Chroicocephalus scopulinus
Nisaetus limnaeetus
Trogon aurantiiventris
Formicivora littoralis
Sylvia margelanica
Zosterops montanus
Zosterops salvadorii
Zosterops tephropleurus
Geokichla tanganjicae
Cercotrichas minor
Lonchura nigerrima
Ortygospiza fuscocrissa
Ortygospiza gabonensis
Anthus latistriatus
Serinus leucolaemus
Emberiza vincenti

Also Bogota Sunangel is not a lump, but surely should be scratched from the list. The other Clements-only species are late additions which I suspect will remain on the list:

Psilopogon chrysopsis
Amytornis whitei
Amytornis oweni
Amytornis rowleyi
Myzomela nigriventris
Zosterops anjuanensis
Zosterops comorensis
Aethopyga tibolii

Last edited by gusasp : Monday 15th July 2019 at 16:16.
gusasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 17:07   #3
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 799
Assuming Clements continues to follow SACC, I don't think Formicivora littoralis/serrana will be lumped as there has been no SACC action on this, though it is a "proposal needed" species pair that presumably will be lumped at some point barring new publications.
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 17:59   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,949
A list in English would probably have been more practical?
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 18:29   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 22,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
A list in English would probably have been more practical?
And no matter which list is produced, it will be superseded by the real thing in another couple of weeks

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Just moved to Barbados
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th July 2019, 18:34   #6
lewis20126
Registered User
 
lewis20126's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusasp View Post
About 20 lumps, interesting! Let's start the guessing game. I'm placing a bet on the following 20 old Clements-only splits and/or results from new studies:

Nothura chacoensis
Megapodius forsteni
Schoutedenapus schoutedeni
Hemiphaga spadicea
Chroicocephalus scopulinus
Nisaetus limnaeetus
Trogon aurantiiventris
Formicivora littoralis
Sylvia margelanica
Zosterops montanus
Zosterops salvadorii
Zosterops tephropleurus
Geokichla tanganjicae
Cercotrichas minor
Lonchura nigerrima
Ortygospiza fuscocrissa
Ortygospiza gabonensis
Anthus latistriatus
Serinus leucolaemus
Emberiza vincenti
I reckon you'll get at least 75% of those right, not sure of the White-eye lumps (direction of travel normally the other way) or the Munia status, but all of the others are pretty thin - the tinamou aligns with SACC deletion so a gimme I think.

cheers, alan
lewis20126 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 19:58   #7
Jeff hopkins
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
A list in English would probably have been more practical?
Your wish is my command!

Chaco Nothura
Forsten's Scrubfowl
Schouteden's Swift
Norfolk Island Pigeon
Red-billed Gull
Changeable Hawk-Eagle
Orange-bellied Trogon
Restinga Antwren
Margelanic Whitethroat
Mountain White-eye
Enggano White-eye
Lord Howe Island White-eye
Kivu Ground-Thrush
African Scrub-Robin
New Hanover Munia
African Quailfinch
Black-chinned Quailfinch
Jackson's Pipit
Damara Canary
Vincent's Bunting

The trogon also was lumped by AOU, so that's also a gimme.

Also, last week I saw "Cliff Swallow" listed as "American Cliff Swallow" in eBird though it's back to normal now. I also saw a record for Bank Swallow that was changed to "Sand Martin" though it's back to Bank Swallow this week. So I suspect some of the changes will be in the hirundines.

Last edited by Jeff hopkins : Monday 15th July 2019 at 20:15.
Jeff hopkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 15th July 2019, 20:27   #8
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 22,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff hopkins View Post

Also, last week I saw "Cliff Swallow" listed as "American Cliff Swallow" in eBird though it's back to normal now. I also saw a record for Bank Swallow that was changed to "Sand Martin" though it's back to Bank Swallow this week. So I suspect some of the changes will be in the hirundines.
Is it possible that one of these times you were viewing on a device where you were not logged in, so that your preference for use of name (British vs US) was recognized on one viewing but not the other?

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Just moved to Barbados
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th July 2019, 20:54   #9
Jeff hopkins
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Is it possible that one of these times you were viewing on a device where you were not logged in, so that your preference for use of name (British vs US) was recognized on one viewing but not the other?

Niels
I didn't know it did that.

I'm usually logged in but I just downloaded a new browser, so it could be what you say.

I withdraw the conclusion about the hirundines

Last edited by Jeff hopkins : Monday 15th July 2019 at 20:57.
Jeff hopkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 06:59   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,949
Thanks Jeff.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 16:26   #11
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean
 
aythya_hybrid's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leeds
Posts: 743
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, as a relative newcomer to ebird, I'd be curious to know why ebird doesn't simply adopt IOC taxonomy? I've recently been transferring my entire life list onto ebird which, while useful in terms of list management, has meant I've "lost" a handful of species (Green-winged Teal, Scopoli's Shearwater are two that spring to mind). The ebird taxonomy has struck me as a little conservative, at least in terms of Neararctic and European species. Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things but it did pique my curiosity.
aythya_hybrid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 16:41   #12
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by aythya_hybrid View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, as a relative newcomer to ebird, I'd be curious to know why ebird doesn't simply adopt IOC taxonomy? I've recently been transferring my entire life list onto ebird which, while useful in terms of list management, has meant I've "lost" a handful of species (Green-winged Teal, Scopoli's Shearwater are two that spring to mind). The ebird taxonomy has struck me as a little conservative, at least in terms of Neararctic and European species. Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things but it did pique my curiosity.
The simple answer is that eBird is run by Cornell University who also happen to be responsible for the 'Clements' world list.

And being a little conservative in taxonomy is no bad thing.

Steve
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 19:55   #13
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean
 
aythya_hybrid's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Leeds
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
The simple answer is that eBird is run by Cornell University who also happen to be responsible for the 'Clements' world list.

And being a little conservative in taxonomy is no bad thing.

Steve
OK, thank you, understood. Was not aware of the connection between Cornell and Clements but that makes sense now.
aythya_hybrid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 21:28   #14
Paul Clapham
Registered User
 
Paul Clapham's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
.. not sure of the White-eye lumps (direction of travel normally the other way)...
What IOC did with the white-eyes doesn't really count as "lumps". Some species have been combined, but parts of them have been hived off into new species, and other species have been split into new species with help from some of those hived-off parts, and some subspecies have been moved into a different species. Maybe "reorganization" would be a good name for this; IOC doesn't try to give the whole business a name.
__________________
Life list:
2016 (Clements v2019 -- 18.8% of 10721); 2002 (Howard & Moore 4.1 -- 19.7% of 10175)
2038 (IOC 9.2 -- 18.7% of 10916)
2021 (HBW (Dec 2018 snapshot) -- 18.4% of 10967); 2021 (BLI Version 3 -- 18.2% of 11126)
Paul Clapham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th July 2019, 14:21   #15
MJB
Registered User
 
MJB's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Holt
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clapham View Post
What IOC did with the white-eyes doesn't really count as "lumps". Some species have been combined, but parts of them have been hived off into new species, and other species have been split into new species with help from some of those hived-off parts, and some subspecies have been moved into a different species. Maybe "reorganization" would be a good name for this; IOC doesn't try to give the whole business a name.
"Reassessment" is possibly more applicable, but in the case of white-eyes, maybe "Reassessment 1" is probably prudent...
MJB
__________________
The fuzziness of all supposedly absolute taxonomic distinctions - Stephen Jay Gould (1977) "Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History".
Species and subspecies are but a convenient fiction - Kees van Deemter (2010), "In praise of vagueness". Biology is messy
MJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 18th July 2019, 12:40   #16
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 14,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
"Reassessment" is possibly more applicable, but in the case of white-eyes, maybe "Reassessment 1" is probably prudent...
MJB
I really don't like the sound of that, one little bit!!!!
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 07:38   #17
mb1848
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Santa Maria, California USA
Posts: 2,104
Happy eBird Taxonomy Day!
I have not seen anything yet on eBird or Clement's checklist sites. Off to purchase an armchair.
https://ebird.org/home .
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist .
__________________
Mark Brown, Esq.
mb1848 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 15:35   #18
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. James, Barbados
Posts: 22,638
They are working on the database at the moment, and they are warning that for a few days, the reports you get from ebird may contain slashes where you expect a full species etc. This will work itself out during the next few days.

They also say the full story will be published "soon"

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean

Just moved to Barbados
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 17:35   #19
Jeff hopkins
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 6,487
Based on my eBird lists I can find a few potential splits that may be coming:

Brown-throated/Grey-throated Sunbird
Indian/Indochinese Roller
African/Madagascar Black-headed Ibis
Fork-tailed/Glossy-backed Drongo

At least these are ones that I entered as the current Clements species that have changed to a multiple name species (i.e two names with a slash) or the name has changed to a new species.

I suspect Burmese Bushtit and a split of Lesser Whitethroat is also coming, since those didn't include a subspecies when I entered them, but they do now.

Last edited by Jeff hopkins : Wednesday 7th August 2019 at 18:00.
Jeff hopkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 17:54   #20
AlexJB497
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: England
Posts: 8
Jerdon's Minivet has been split...better late than never
AlexJB497 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 17:58   #21
AlexJB497
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: England
Posts: 8
Cream-eyed Bulbul P. pseudosimplex & Blue-throated Hillstar O. cyanolaemus have been added...this could be a very long process...best wait for the spreadsheet!
AlexJB497 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 18:21   #22
lewis20126
Registered User
 
lewis20126's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 9,452
If somebody spots the spreadsheet online, please let us now on this thread - thanks

cheers, alan
lewis20126 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 18:28   #23
Jim M.
Choose Civility

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by aythya_hybrid View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, as a relative newcomer to ebird, I'd be curious to know why ebird doesn't simply adopt IOC taxonomy? I've recently been transferring my entire life list onto ebird which, while useful in terms of list management, has meant I've "lost" a handful of species (Green-winged Teal, Scopoli's Shearwater are two that spring to mind). The ebird taxonomy has struck me as a little conservative, at least in terms of Neararctic and European species. Not a big problem in the grand scheme of things but it did pique my curiosity.
IOC doesn't follow or consider itself bound by taxonomic decisions of local authorities, such as the AOS (formerly AOU), in the US. Virtually all US birders and field guides follow the latter for nearctic birds, so eBird needs to as well to avoid confusion. That is the reason they have given in the past for following Clements rather than any of the other checklists.
__________________
My Micro 4/3 birds, insects, & other wildlife photo gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums
Jim M. is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 04:28   #24
gusasp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff hopkins View Post
Your wish is my command!

Chaco Nothura
Forsten's Scrubfowl
Schouteden's Swift
Norfolk Island Pigeon
Red-billed Gull
Changeable Hawk-Eagle
Orange-bellied Trogon
Restinga Antwren
Margelanic Whitethroat
Mountain White-eye
Enggano White-eye
Lord Howe Island White-eye
Kivu Ground-Thrush
African Scrub-Robin
New Hanover Munia
African Quailfinch
Black-chinned Quailfinch
Jackson's Pipit
Damara Canary
Vincent's Bunting

.
Of the lumps, the scrubfowl, swift, antwren, munia and bunting seem to remain, while the others are out.
gusasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 04:35   #25
gusasp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusasp View Post

Psilopogon chrysopsis
Amytornis whitei
Amytornis oweni
Amytornis rowleyi
Myzomela nigriventris
Zosterops anjuanensis
Zosterops comorensis
Aethopyga tibolii
And among the above, only the barbet is deleted.
gusasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The eBird/Clements checklist v2018 Peter Kovalik Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 9 Thursday 16th August 2018 11:05
eBird/Clements Checklist: 2016 update Peter Kovalik Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 23 Thursday 11th August 2016 14:11
eBird/Clements Checklist: 2014 update Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 76 Tuesday 19th May 2015 20:29
The eBird/Clements checklist v 6.8 Peter Kovalik Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 28 Monday 5th May 2014 07:32
Clements/eBird 2012 update Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 56 Wednesday 3rd October 2012 10:49

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.18509197 seconds with 39 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14.