• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Sandpipers - how many? (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
A quick trawl of RBA suggests well over 200 today, including 110 at Cley. Unprecedented or have I just missed these influxes before?

I seem to recall a flock of 20 at the now defunct Ramney Marsh Sewage Works when I ticked it in 1987. There will have been influxes. I'll check the usual references tomorrow to judge the scale.

All the best

Lee Evans on Twitter says 350+ for Sunday, and that does not include 110 at Cley, just 40 I think.

Just one in Leics/Rutland.

Steve

I've failed to find the article but there was a large influx in 1952 written up in British Birds by Nisbet in 1956. Anyone able to access that? How many?

All the best

Just to put it into perspective:

Finland: 250,000 pairs
Sweden: 100,000 pairs

What we've had in Britain is a slightly-higher-than-usual rate of vagrancy. Under 0.05% of the Scandinavian population coming our way.

Just to put it into perspective:

Finland: 250,000 pairs
Sweden: 100,000 pairs

What we've had in Britain is a slightly-higher-than-usual rate of vagrancy. Under 0.05% of the Scandinavian population coming our way.

Isn't the magnitude of the event, the proportion of the normal number not the proportion of the breeding population?

All the best

I've failed to find the article but there was a large influx in 1952 written up in British Birds by Nisbet in 1956. Anyone able to access that? How many?

All the best

British Birds 49:2 49-62. I don't have the wherewithal to copy it here or the time read it just yet but looks very detailed. I didn't see a figure jump out at me in my very brief scan of the conclusions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back