Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sea watching sites.

Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 18:01   #1
Owene

Sea watching sites.

I’m coming down on Friday to do the Penzance pelagic on Saturday morning but dependent on traffic might have some birding time on Friday afternoon. Hopefully someone can help me with some info

I’ve been to Porthgwarra before but never to pendeen or the lizard. What is the situation for parking and optimum spots like at those places.

On my visit to Porthgwarra there were birders around the whole time. I’d that likely to be the case at pendeen or the lizard. It’s nice to get confirmation of stuff on sea-watches

Edit. Oh it’s probably the wrong time of year but is there anywhere I’d be likely to see divers at this time of year. Still Need all of them for the year

Last edited by Owene : Sunday 18th August 2019 at 18:03.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 09:47   #2
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Owene. I'm not really a sea-watcher but I'd say it depends very much on the wind direction that Friday.
Parking at Pendeen is OK, just head for the lighthouse (Pendeen Watch) - not a huge parking area but you should be OK.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th August 2019, 12:54   #3
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

If there is any south in the wind head for PG or The Lizard. At the latter you just park in the big carpark and walk south to watch from the end.
If the wind is west or north of that go to Pendeen. Small carpark in front of the lighthouse or park alongside the approach road with care. Or there is a lower carpark down to the right of the lighthouse. Most people go around the right side of the lighthouse compound and watch from the north side. Others drop lower down the slope, and some watch from the lower carpark. All depends how high you like to be and how many people you want to sit with.
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 08:22   #4
Owene

Thanks guys that just what I wanted to know . Will pay attention to the wind direction. I guess the biggest thing will be what the traffic is like on the way down but hopefully I will get some time somewhere
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: