Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 05:51   #826
Mike Montier

I haven’t heard back from Carlota yet but I did ask about where the Bonelli’s Eagle chicks had come from for the re-introduction scheme.
The general feeling was that the majority came from mainland Spain with a few sourced from France.
If I get further information, I will post.
Mike
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 10:14   #827
honeym

Further details of the project are here: http://www.lifebonelli.org/index.php/en/
Martin
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 13:18   #828
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin.
I have just heard back from Carlota who tells me that the chicks introduced to Mallorca came from Andalucía.
The article Martin posted is well worth a read though.
The great news is that the pair who appear sometimes in the south have raised two young. Brilliant news.
Mike
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 13:55   #829
Simon Wates

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Further details of the project are here: http://www.lifebonelli.org/index.php/en/
Martin
Just as a matter of interest, there was a long running LIFE Bonelli project in Portugal (2011-16?), centered on the rather unique tree nesting population here (c.70 pairs?). It was a celebrated project that achieved many of its objectives. The Bonellis here are still monitored within other projects.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 14:48   #830
Mike Montier

There seems some doubt about my record of Larus fuscus on the 5th August.
I was at the Cap as usual before first light. I have never seen another birder there at this time and I go about three times a week.
The gulls begin to pass through, nearly all going east, from first light. Dozens of Audouin’s and Yellow-legged gulls go through so there is plenty of time to get your eye in and adjust to the light conditions so when one Gull goes through which is so obviously different and several shades darker, it is clearly a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
I know the date is very early but so many other species have been logged this year at very odd times.
Mike
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 16:32   #831
Simon Wates

Mike, the first returning LBBGs come down western Portugal through July and are in force through August. Maybe these are not your birds though.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 17:16   #832
Mike Montier

Thanks Simon, not sure if they are the same birds but that’s very helpful knowing they are around for you in July.
I think some of our recognized dates need reviewing, many birds are turning up at “odd” times but I believe they have always been there, it’s just that Mallorca is thankfully now getting better coverage.
Mike
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 18:40   #833
hughm

Sorry to gatecrash the forum but I have just landed at the other end of the Med on a last minute break to Cyprus- never been here before so am reporting on the Cyprus section of this forum as a novice if you want some blog type reports of a newcomer (as I was on Mallorca in 2000) Hugh Matthews Northampton
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 19:58   #834
StewB

Mrs B and I are going to visit Palma when we’re on the Island in September (20+ visits to Mallorca and never been to Palma!). I seem to recall reports of feral parrots/parakeets in Palma or am I imagining things? If anyone can point me at anything in/around the city centre I’d be grateful. (Once we’ve seen the sights I have a feeling that Mrs B’s agenda will shift to shopping..).

Stew
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 20:50   #835
Mike Montier

Hi Stew.
Palma is a glorious city, we love it and go a couple of times every month, a day walking round, shopping and always ending with a trip to the cinema. It depends what you want but some tree-lined avenues are a joy with small courtyards here and there.
The area around the Borne is particularly nice with stops for coffee or lunch.
A walk along the front is also lovely. Don’t tell Tess but there are often good birds to see as well.
I don’t know the current status of Parakeets, I’ve never seen any. I believe there are some around Santa Ponça but the Palma ones were culled I think.
Perhaps anybody who knows more could help us out.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Tuesday 20th August 2019 at 13:38.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 20:53   #836
Mike Montier

Oops. Just spoken to Jane and she says we have seen Parakeets around the Hard Rock Cafe, along the front, towards Cala Pi.
I must say, I don’t remember it but I’m sure she is right....she nearly always is.
Mike
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 20:56   #837
Mike Montier

Hi Hugh.
I will read your reports with interest.
Good luck and have a great holiday.
Mike
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 10:39   #838
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Hello!
Here you have the birds seen in la Gola from 1st to 15th of August.
Regards,
Cristina.
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-l...llistat-d-aus/
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 11:16   #839
rollingthunder

Thanks for the Bonelli’s stuff and links

Always a pulse-racing species for me - i last saw one as i was watching my still only first Tristram’s Warbler in Morocco and one shot through within a Cat’s whisker of catching the thing

A pity that initial birds fell foul of the utilities I remember a documentary about Golden Eagles in Colorado in the 70’s that had taken to nesting on pylons and their number increased but so did electrocutions. The utility company increasd the gap between the cables to stop the birds forming a circuit and hey presto no more fried Goldies - they even started trimming nests with loppers! This information got passed to similiar scenarios in Utah, Montana and Wyoming

A far cry from when they were hunted in light aircraft by ranchers in the 60’s.
You would have thought that Electric utilities the World over would have the raptor-friendly design uppermost when erecting them? Now we have the Tarifa ‘Eagle choppers’ to contend with.....

Laurie
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 13:42   #840
Barmingbirder

Well I got to Mortix this morning, first light. Parking was better than expected,
I parked on the dusty pull in just down from the vineyard entrance. Low cloud persisted throughout my visit but I managed 4 sightings of Bonelli's in the 3 hours I was on site. Certainly 3 different individuals which to my untrained eye looked to be 2x juveniles (1 rufous underparts, other very washed out, very pale) and an adult bird (high, very white body, dark under wing and tail) They were up above the bluffs, just beyond the bridge by the first resorvoir. 1 bird was also seen at the seaward end of the valley an hour after sunrise. Black & Griffin Vulture were all relatively low down, coming in and out of cloud and offering some excellent views. Other birds included Hoopoe, Cirl Bunting, Woodchat Shrike, many Spot Flycatchers including an albino bird in the olives along the vineyard track to the reserve gate. Thanks to everyone who replied to my original posts, they all helped,
and it was a fantastic morning in a fantastic site. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmingbirder View Post
Thanks for all replies.

I tried Mortix last September but could find where to park (a couple of already taken laybys) or find entrance to reserve...any help/map that can shared? Do you need a permit too? Any particular time of day best? Thanks again, much appreciated
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 13:47   #841
Mike Montier

Thanks Laurie, very interesting especially the stuff in the USA, good to know. We go there a lot and we have three trips planned for next year.
I think most electricity companies are getting their act together.
I know the focus of bird persecution mostly concentrates on the Mediterranean but some pretty bad stuff still goes on in the UK. It is shocking to read about such mindless destruction.
Hunting from light aircraft? Unbelievable.
I still haven’t seen a Tristram’s Warbler.
Thanks for posting.
Mike
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 13:49   #842
Mike Montier

Cristina.
Many thanks for posting sightings from your wonderful reserve, it’s such an oasis right in town too.
Very impressive, especially as it’s in four languages!
Thanks for going to so much trouble, it’s very much appreciated by us birders.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Tuesday 20th August 2019 at 17:53.
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 15:38   #843
rollingthunder

Re Tristram’s.....i nearly didn’t see one

I believe at one stage due to their Federal system there was actually a bounty scheme in operation whereby they were classed as vermin and could be shot on sight and the claws/feet handed in - beggars belief really

The situation here has now become a laughing paradox with most raptor numbers at historical highs and the landed gentry that indulge in gamebird rearing doing what the like without any fear of the consequences because there isn’t any We need vicarious liability where people actually go to jail but as we do not send people who commit violent crimes against others to jail there is no hope. Add to that a Judiciary that is thick with landowners and Plods who are as useful as a Chocolate fire-grate and the situation is a farce. The perpetrators just laugh at us as they toast another dead Harrier down the pub - it doesn’t help when they are shot on Sandringham by the Royal Family but hey 50 years ago they were shooting Tigers in India

The recent sight of a Golden Eagle flying off with a pole-trap hanging off of it is a national disgrace - these people are taking the piss and some of us have had enough.....

Laurie
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 15:56   #844
Mike Montier

Totally agree Laurie.
On a brighter note, I’m glad you had a good day at Mortitx Barmingbirder.
Mike
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 16:16   #845
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmingbirder View Post
Well I got to Mortix this morning, first light. Parking was better than expected,
I parked on the dusty pull in just down from the vineyard entrance. Low cloud persisted throughout my visit but I managed 4 sightings of Bonelli's in the 3 hours I was on site. Certainly 3 different individuals which to my untrained eye looked to be 2x juveniles (1 rufous underparts, other very washed out, very pale) and an adult bird (high, very white body, dark under wing and tail) They were up above the bluffs, just beyond the bridge by the first resorvoir. 1 bird was also seen at the seaward end of the valley an hour after sunrise. Black & Griffin Vulture were all relatively low down, coming in and out of cloud and offering some excellent views. Other birds included Hoopoe, Cirl Bunting, Woodchat Shrike, many Spot Flycatchers including an albino bird in the olives along the vineyard track to the reserve gate. Thanks to everyone who replied to my original posts, they all helped,
and it was a fantastic morning in a fantastic site. Thanks again.
How far down the trail were you before your first sighting?
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 18:09   #846
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Cristina.
Many thanks for posting sightings from your wonderful reserve, it’s such an oasis right in town too.
Very impressive, especially as it’s in four languages!
Thanks for going to so much trouble, it’s very much appreciated by us birders.
Mike
I agree with Mike,with regards to thanking Cristina. You do a fabulous job and I enjoyed my early morning walks around La Gola,while on holiday In Puerto Pollenca last month.
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 08:59   #847
Phil Andrews

Visited Mortitx for the first time this morning - absolutely stunning location. Birdwise I had a Bonelli's Eagle, Peregrine, 2 each of Black and Griffon Vulture, Crossbill, Woodchat Shrike, Firecrest, several Wrynecks and the novelty of Crag Martins feeding low over the vineyards
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 20:19   #848
Mike Montier

A very brief visit to the Cap this morning saw three Marsh harriers and a Black Kite leave the Island.
Also, on the drive back up the road a raptor flashed very low over the car.
I don’t know what it was but I know it was something special. Jane got a better view than me but she’s tired of my constant questions and field guides being thrust in front of her.
I will have to let it go but it’s just one of the many frustrations of being a birder I guess.
All she remembers was it’s size and blazing white rump. Hmm..
Mike
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 11:32   #849
Phil Andrews

Highlights from this morning at Son Bosc:

8 Glossy Ibis, 10 Wood Sandpiper, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 11 Little Stint, Greenshank, 7 Green Sandpiper, 7 Common Sandpiper, Marbled Duck, Pochard, 4 Shelduck, 4 Shoveler, 2 Stone Curlew, Marsh Harrier, Bee-eater, Woodchat, Sand Martin, Nightingale, Lesser Emperor dragonfly. Unfortunately the most productive tank (the south-eastern) is tricky to view - the chained gates at the fork in the track being the best spot.
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 11:35   #850
Phil Andrews

After Son Bosc it was on to Tucan Marsh which is now virtually dried out. As a result birding was poor - 3 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, Garganey, a showy Squacco Heron and 2 Purple Gallinule. The session was saved by a beautiful Roller barreling through the site heading northwest.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: