Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Middleton Lakes,

Old Monday 11th August 2008, 11:56   #1
George Garner

Middleton Lakes,

Hi Everyone,
Last year one of the speakers at our indoor meetings was the education officer at Middleton lakes.
So sensing a golden oppertunity, we knobbled him to give us a guided walk, and I must say this was most interesting, to see at first hand what they were doing and hearing what they intended to do in the future.
The last time I was at Middleton was for an evening twitch when the gravel extracters had finished for the day, did see a Broad Billed Sandpiper, ( a lifer)
It is all very different now and looks like being a great reserve in the future.
The birds seen, in no particular order were, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Coot, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Blackbird, Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.
I understand that they have a Herony there, that is well worth a visit in the spring.
Altogether a most informative, and pleasant day out.

George
Old Monday 11th August 2008, 13:29   #2
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2019

Sounds like a lovely selection of birds, George, and a very good day out. I am glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th August 2008, 14:07   #3
Ruth Daniel

Glad you enjoyed your day out George!
Sounds like a good reserve for a future visit!!
Old Monday 11th August 2008, 14:19   #4
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Garner View Post
Hi Everyone,
Last year one of the speakers at our indoor meetings was the education officer at Middleton lakes.
So sensing a golden oppertunity, we knobbled him to give us a guided walk, and I must say this was most interesting, to see at first hand what they were doing and hearing what they intended to do in the future.
The last time I was at Middleton was for an evening twitch when the gravel extracters had finished for the day, did see a Broad Billed Sandpiper, ( a lifer)
It is all very different now and looks like being a great reserve in the future.
The birds seen, in no particular order were, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pheasant, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Coot, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Blackbird, Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.
I understand that they have a Herony there, that is well worth a visit in the spring.
Altogether a most informative, and pleasant day out.

George
Hi George

I loved hearing about your report and your experiences of your day out. That is one impressive list of birds

As a for the lifer that you have got 'Broad Billed Sandpiper' - never heard of the name before.

That goes without saying. Well done to you

Kathy
x

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th August 2008, 15:57   #5
palval147

It sounds like a lovely place to go, George. Too far friom me, but I enjoyed reading your report. You saw some good birds too, specially the 'lifer'.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th August 2008, 21:00   #6
pie

Hi George,
Sounds like your guided tour of the lakes produced a nice variety of Birds.

Ah! so you are one of the lucky one who gets to see these Spring gems aye George.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: