Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Four Orchids in one day

Old Monday 18th May 2009, 08:22   #1
robhope

Four Orchids in one day

Went down to Chappett's Copse yesterday to see the Sword-leaved Helleborines and try and find some Bird's-nest Orchids (on the advice of Patton's Tiger). Hundreds of beautiful spikes of the Sword-leaved carpeting the woodland floor - almost too easy. Just as I was going to give up finding the Bird's Nest Orchids I found a group of 10+ in good condition, so a very successful outing.

Decided to pop to West Dean Woods afterwards to carry on the orchid hunt and found a few Early Purple Orchids still in flower, dozens of Common Twayblades and several Bird's Nest Orchids. I also found a mystery plant which could be a Hellborine - I shall have to pop back when the flowers open (the rain was falling heavily at this point and the vegetation very tangled so I didn't check the leaves). What a great day.

Next up Musk, Man, Fragrant and Frog...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chappett Sword-leaved Helleborine.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	197358  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chappett's Bird's-nest Orchid.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	197359  Click image for larger version

Name:	West Dean Common Twayblade.JPG
Views:	859
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	197361  Click image for larger version

Name:	West Dean Bird's Nest.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	197362  Click image for larger version

Name:	West Dean Orchid.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	197363  

Last edited by robhope : Monday 18th May 2009 at 08:58.
Old Monday 18th May 2009, 09:09   #2
Phil Carter

Could the last one be Greater Butterfly in bud?

Phil
Old Monday 18th May 2009, 10:20   #3
robhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Could the last one be Greater Butterfly in bud?

Phil
Phil,

Thanks - it could be because I have had Greater Butterfly Orchid at this site before, although I have never seen it in this particular spot. I've not seen one in bud before so it will be interesting to confirm.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few
Old Monday 18th May 2009, 21:18   #4
Living Rocks

I must have followed you round Chappets Copse yesterday, I was there late afternoon. Its an amazing show of sword leaved at the moment, I found the first one right by the path at the parking spot (Looking at the first pic I guess you did as well!!), The birds nest were a bit more elusive, but eventually I found the same group (another familiar photo!). I was surprised not to find many white helleborine in flower, only one large spike in the photographers area, and a few more in bud or just opening. On the whole though it seems like a very early season, many of the early purples were going over in Cumbria 2 weeks ago & Southern Marsh are already in flower at my local site (Pennington Flash)
Old Tuesday 19th May 2009, 07:48   #5
robhope

Although I went to see the Sword-leaved Helleborine I am annoyed that I did not think to look for, or actually see, any White Helleborine. Assuming they are all the same and not really looking has cost me several species over the years, whether they be birds, flowers or insects.
It was nice to see several people at the site enjoying the show as you have said. Hopefully the season continues as it has started.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few
Old Tuesday 19th May 2009, 21:45   #6
lizard orchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhope View Post
Went down to Chappett's Copse yesterday to see the Sword-leaved Helleborines and try and find some Bird's-nest Orchids (on the advice of Patton's Tiger). Hundreds of beautiful spikes of the Sword-leaved carpeting the woodland floor - almost too easy. Just as I was going to give up finding the Bird's Nest Orchids I found a group of 10+ in good condition, so a very successful outing.

Decided to pop to West Dean Woods afterwards to carry on the orchid hunt and found a few Early Purple Orchids still in flower, dozens of Common Twayblades and several Bird's Nest Orchids. I also found a mystery plant which could be a Hellborine - I shall have to pop back when the flowers open (the rain was falling heavily at this point and the vegetation very tangled so I didn't check the leaves). What a great day.

Next up Musk, Man, Fragrant and Frog...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few
Dear Rob,
Phill is right. Your last picture is a Greater Butterfly Orchid coming out. A lot more advanced than the plants I was caging from rabbit damage today here in Warwickshire.

Brian Laney Botanist Northamptonshire.
Old Thursday 21st May 2009, 10:50   #7
Ghostly Vision
The Upside Down

I've seen GBO at four sites in the last week, from the Chilterns to Leicestershire, and all have been in bud just like this one.

They'll be out by this weekend.

Sean
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: