Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSPB Middleton Lakes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.90 average.
Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 17:38   #251
Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Dragon View Post
Hi John & Geoff, free spirit, that`s me Off to Brandon Marsh tomorrow
Free spirit? Mine's a double, please, Pam!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 18:50   #252
Pam Dragon

Sorry Mary all gone I needed some to get warm after today at Brandon, so very cold & wet
Old Sunday 4th March 2012, 19:53   #253
upstarts1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Dragon View Post
Hi John & Geoff, free spirit, that`s me Off to Brandon Marsh tomorrow
Pam about time we saw you back at uptonjohn
I must visit Middleton one day , but haven't got my passport renewed.
Old Monday 12th March 2012, 16:35   #254
geoffw1946

It appears that the reserve has been quiet this week with no reports received. At least Linconshire was OK with 3 Glossy Ibis, 1 Red-throated Diver and 5 species of geese seen by me.
This morning at Midd Lakes there was a WeBS count on and I joined them briefly. 3 Oystercatcher were chasing from one pool to another. 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Lapwing and a Redshank were on the north pit. A total of 9 Snipe and 4 Jack Snipe were noted around the reserve. A Raven flew over calling and 2 Yellowhammer were singing.
Geoff
Old Wednesday 14th March 2012, 14:07   #255
geoffw1946

A Black-tailed Godwit was feeding on the north pit this morning but flew out south at 11:30, the 103rd species for the year. I see it was also reported for yesterday. 2 Dunlin were new in, otherwise it was just the resident waders. Other birds included 1 Goosander, 1 Water Rail and 2 Redwing.
Yesterday I checked out the Dosthill side of the reserve and saw my first Small Tortoiseshell butterfly of the year, 3 Grass Snake were sunbathing, 2 Kingfisher were along the river and a small flock of Redpoll and Siskin were in the Alders.
Geoff
Old Thursday 15th March 2012, 21:25   #256
geoffw1946

A late afternoon visit for me, 4 Redshank were on the north pit, a Short-eared Owl was hunting the middle section then flew across the river.
At the heronry at least 21 Little Egret came in to roost by 6:30pm and 6 Fieldfare flew by.
Geoff
Old Sunday 18th March 2012, 15:27   #257
geoffw1946

16/3. A Marsh Harrier was reported at Kingsbury Water Park but wasn't picked up at Midd Lakes unforunately. A Brambling was again reported by Mill Plantation.
17/3. 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin and 3 Redshank were on north pit. 1 female Blackcap was seen by C.Cook and a Chiffchaff was singing.
Today a miserable cold rainy start soon brightened up weatherwise and birdwise with 3 male Wheatear and a Little Ringed Plover on the north pit, but best of all was a drake Garganey on Hall Lake.
The yearlist now stands at 107 species.
Geoff
Old Wednesday 21st March 2012, 19:21   #258
JHDraytonbassettpits

Garganey

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffw1946 View Post
16/3. A Marsh Harrier was reported at Kingsbury Water Park but wasn't picked up at Midd Lakes unforunately. A Brambling was again reported by Mill Plantation.
17/3. 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin and 3 Redshank were on north pit. 1 female Blackcap was seen by C.Cook and a Chiffchaff was singing.
Today a miserable cold rainy start soon brightened up weatherwise and birdwise with 3 male Wheatear and a Little Ringed Plover on the north pit, but best of all was a drake Garganey on Hall Lake.
The yearlist now stands at 107 species.
Geoff
Nice pictures of the drake Garganey which was still present today link from the Warwickshire Middleton lakes thread. John
Old Thursday 29th March 2012, 19:47   #259
geoffw1946

Afternoon visit and it felt more like August than March in the warm sun although a redhead Smew on the north pit was more seasonal though still a surprise. Also on the north pit was a Little Ringed Plover with the regular waders and 2 Red-legged Partidge were in the adjacent field (also seen on the 23rd).
2 Green Sandpiper were on the hall lake now a bit of mud is showing.
Brimstone, Peacock, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Orange Tip were seen on the reserve.
Geoff
Old Sunday 1st April 2012, 18:30   #260
Pam Dragon

Hi folks, a lovely day at Middleton Hall today. We saw our first Wheatears of the year Lots of Orange Tips & Small Tortoiseshells around. The Blue bells were out as well and the Ramsons smelt strong on the walk back in the afternoon.
Old Sunday 1st April 2012, 20:39   #261
Pam Dragon

Wheatear today at Middleton Hall Lakes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheatear.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	376766
Old Wednesday 4th April 2012, 09:21   #262
geoffw1946

I've spent three out of four days looking for Ring Ouzels over the Dosthill side, it looks suitable but no luck so far.
Update. 30/3/12, 2 Little Ringed Plover were on the north pit and a Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.
2/4/12, A Speckled Wood butterfly and 2 Redpoll were on the Dosthill side.
3/4/12, Up to 10 Redshank were seen on the various pools. A female Wheatear was on the north pit and 2 male Yellowhammer were on a nearby hedgerow.
It's back to winter today with some snow showers and still no sign of any hides so it looks like staying indoors for me.
Geoff
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 08:17   #263
rollingthunder

Geoff - what is the current situation with regard to the erection of a hide, will there be one in place anytime this season?

Laurie -
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 18:35   #264
geoffw1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
Geoff - what is the current situation with regard to the erection of a hide, will there be one in place anytime this season?

Laurie -
Hi Laurie,
I was told by Nick Martin, the site manager that we should be getting a hide in April or May but they were still waiting for planning permission and the OK from EA.
Geoff
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 19:48   #265
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Hi Laurie,
I was told by Nick Martin, the site manager that we should be getting a hide in April or May but they were still waiting for planning permission and the OK from EA.
Geoff
Sounds like Upton Warren all over again
Old Saturday 7th April 2012, 14:16   #266
rollingthunder

OK from the EA............did'nt it used to be a.........quarry! Full of trucks and LRP's - sounds like a nice job for somebody.

Hav'nt been up since last Autumn - if nothing else is doing, i.e. Pallid Harrier between Frampton and Sharpness might pop in tomorrow.

Laurie
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 19:59   #267
geoffw1946

Update.
5th April, the Osprey seen at KWP was also reported at Midd Lakes according to Midd Lakes Facebook, the Red legged Partridge was seen again in fields by the north pit and a Common Gull was on new reedbed pit. A Short-eared Owl was reported again in the evening.
6th April, 3 Sand Martin and a Swallow flew through, 1 or 2 Willow Warbler were singing on the Dosthill side.
7th April, a Grey Heron caught a Mallard duckling at Fishers Mill Pool.
9th April, 2 Wheatear were reported.
10th April, 2 Goldeneye still, 1 Snipe and 9 Sand Martin.
11th April, 1 Common Sandpiper on Dosthill Lake, 3 Cetti's Warbler singing and Yellowhammer singing at Dosthill.
13th April, apart from the usual waders, (Oystercatcher, LRP, Ringed Plover and Redshank), a Greenshank was heard calling several times and a Common Sandpiper was on FMP. 4 Common Tern were new arrivals on the north pit and 8 Swallows flew north.
The year list now stands at 115 species.
Geoff
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 20:12   #268
geoffw1946

Saturday 5th May bird count.

I checked out the opposition at Upton Warren yesterday, 3 Avocet, a Water Rail was calling and 4 House Martin were my first of the year but still no Cetti's Warbler there.
I hope that as many birders as possible can be out at Midd Lakes on Saturday 5th May for the bird count to see how many species can be seen in a day.
I've been told that the RSPB will have someone out at the car park on the day keeping a check of what's been seen.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Geoff
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 20:18   #269
Phil Andrews

Quote:
I checked out the opposition at Upton Warren yesterday, 3 Avocet, a Water Rail was calling and 4 House Martin were my first of the year but still no Cetti's Warbler there.
I hope that as many birders as possible can be out at Midd Lakes on Saturday 5th May for the bird count to see how many species can be seen in a day.
I've been told that the RSPB will have someone out at the car park on the day keeping a check of what's been seen.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Geoff
Think you will absolutely slaughter us on the 5th Geoff but its all a bit of harmless fun! Of course Steve Nuttall's crew at Belvide will kick both our backsides
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 20:29   #270
geoffw1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Think you will absolutely slaughter us on the 5th Geoff but its all a bit of harmless fun! Of course Steve Nuttall's crew at Belvide will kick both our backsides
Hi Phil,
We still don't have a hide and I'll have to get back to the RSPB to remind them of the bird day as they don't seem to be promoting it on their blog.
Geoff
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 20:33   #271
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Hi Phil,
We still don't have a hide and I'll have to get back to the RSPB to remind them of the bird day as they don't seem to be promoting it on their blog.
Geoff
In all fairness Geoff we try to saturate UW but that is relatively easy with its small size. I wonder what say 50 dedicated birders working Middleton could produce in a day. Just out of interest what are you using as your boundaries, the reserve's edge?
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 20:36   #272
djaphoto

Took a trip to Middleton today and really enjoyed myself.

Only being the second time visiting I managed to see:

x3 Buzzard right from the off
Wrens
Redstart's heard all over the reserve
Willow Warbler galore
Great Crested Grebes
Tufted Duck
Black Headed Gulls
Kestral
Kingfisher
Lapwing
Blackcap/Willow Tit (picture to follow which will confirm for me)
Long Tail Tit's

I spent a good 4 hours round the reserve today and rounded the day off by taking a look at the big fallen tree near the carpark, nothing, then headed back to the car. Put the lens away, camera away, and what landed...Kestral perched above where I had just been standing haha.

Next time
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 21:06   #273
djaphoto

Quick pic of the Buzzard which was one of 3 right by the Heronry, nice start to the outing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005-01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	378753
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 21:09   #274
geoffw1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
In all fairness Geoff we try to saturate UW but that is relatively easy with its small size. I wonder what say 50 dedicated birders working Middleton could produce in a day. Just out of interest what are you using as your boundaries, the reserve's edge?
Hi Phil,
I will leave the boundaries for the race up to the RSPB this year,as they will be running it.
Generally I use the entrances to the reserve as the boundaries. Not including Kingsbury Water Park as they have their own recorders, so Middleton Hall and Lake, Dosthill hill and lake and the reserve itself which is split in two by the river as we still don't have a bridge.
Geoff
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 21:28   #275
geoffw1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaphoto View Post
Quick pic of the Buzzard which was one of 3 right by the Heronry, nice start to the outing.

Attachment 378753
Hi djaphoto,
Nice picture of the Buzzard, I look forward to more photos on this thread.
I'm new to photography but recently bought me a Nikon Coolpix P500 so I'll have to try it out over the reserve one of the days ( I did put a picture of a Smew on here some time back).
We could also do with some shots of the reserve itself.
Geoff
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: