Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hotspots for taking a serious birder in WI?

Old Thursday 29th August 2013, 15:16   #1
fluffhead

Hotspots for taking a serious birder in WI?

Greetings everyone!

I wouldn't even call myself an amateur birder but my partner is pretty serious. She is up to 900 birds on her bird list and we are taking a trip to the USA (we live in Spain) and I would love to help her get over 1000!

We will be in Wisconsin in mid September and late November/early December, mainly around Milwaukee though I think I will have a car. I am wondering if there are any migrations or hot spots for birding ?

I appreciate any tips, I would love to surprise her with a birding trip! I apologize for being a total novice but I know that locals are the best people to ask and there are a lot of seasonalities that I have to consider! Thanks!
Old Thursday 26th September 2013, 04:13   #2
crypticprism

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
Greetings everyone!

I wouldn't even call myself an amateur birder but my partner is pretty serious. She is up to 900 birds on her bird list and we are taking a trip to the USA (we live in Spain) and I would love to help her get over 1000!

We will be in Wisconsin in mid September and late November/early December, mainly around Milwaukee though I think I will have a car. I am wondering if there are any migrations or hot spots for birding ?

I appreciate any tips, I would love to surprise her with a birding trip! I apologize for being a total novice but I know that locals are the best people to ask and there are a lot of seasonalities that I have to consider! Thanks!
In the City of Milwaukee, the best bet is the lakefront area (East Side). Lake Park is usually a very good place for birding, and down along the shore there are various patches (Bradford Beach, Veterans Park, Lakeshore Park) that can be good at times. If you're in Milwaukee on a Saturday in September, there are Warbler Walks at 8:30 am; the group meets on the north side of the park, just south of the warming house (near the Locust St. Ravine).

Another good spot for birding in the Milwaukee metro is Schlitz Audubon Nature Center (north of Milwaukee, by the lake). You'll have to pay a small fee to enter, but it's a good place: a lot of woodland birds, such as thrushes and warblers, are passing through right now.

If you have a car, a good place to visit is Horicon Marsh. It's a bit past the peak season for a lot of birds now, but there are still some good finds to be had. There is a visitor's center on the east side of the marsh area where you can get more info, but the best birding is along Highway 49 (be careful of traffic; pull off the road completely) and the Auto Tour (a 3-mile loop that you can drive, and make stops along the way). Dike Road is also good at the marsh.

Happy Birding!
Old Tuesday 28th January 2014, 14:51   #3
Happy Camp

Birding

Hi Fluffhead, I sent you a PM, hope to hear from you.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2014, 05:04   #4
fluffhead

thanks everyone. Although I've moved on, MKE is my hometown so there will probably be a once a year trip. Thanks for the tips, especially the MKE specific ones!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: