Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Review, Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x32

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 12:40   #51
MPeoples

Thank you Steve.
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 14:57   #52
Steve C

The last few posts have led me to the conclusion that the Nikon Monarch M7 30 mm has to be a completely different binocular than the M7 42 mm. It seems there was a post from Jan VanDalen stating that the Kite Lynx 8x30 and the M7 were made by Kamakura with the Lynx being built with better materials. I am under the impression the M7 42 mm are from Nikon's Chinese source.

I don't want to buy an M7, but I may need to do that because I need to see one myself. My local dealer seems to have no plans to carry them either. My main source of curiosity stems from the fact that the Mojave 8x32 offers a clearly superior image to the 8x42 M7. I do not offer that as a criticism of the M7, just my evaluation of the side by side performance. If I had an M7, I'd use it and go look at stuff without complaint, but I think, and I think many others would too, that the M7 42 mm is not as bright nor does it have the color saturation of the Mojave. The edges of the Mojave are clearly superior to the edges of the M7 42 mm. Those differences between the Mojave and the M7 42 seem to be at least partly reversed judging from Frank's description of the Mojave vs the M7 30 mm. It may be that the presence of ED glass elements in the MZ 30 mm are part of the observed difference.

The Mojave comes in a bunch closer to the performance level of my Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x42 than does the M7 8x42. The GR 8x42 is ahead of the Zeiss Conquest HD when I have had those two side by side. However the local dealer has no Zeiss Conquest HD at the moment for the Mojave comparison.

MPeoples, you are welcome!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Tuesday 18th March 2014 at 15:05.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 15:28   #53
FrankD

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the comparison when the time comes Steve. I did not expect to like the Nikon M7 8x30 as much as I did. For future reference I believe my recommendations for relatively inexpensive 8x32s are going to be the the Sightron SII at $180, the Leupold Mojave at $280, the Nikon M7 at $380 and the Opticron Countryman at $480.

You can't really go wrong with any of them. It really boils down to feel and how much refinement you want.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 16:00   #54
typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
The last few posts have led me to the conclusion that the Nikon Monarch M7 30 mm has to be a completely different binocular than the M7 42 mm. It seems there was a post from Jan VanDalen stating that the Kite Lynx 8x30 and the M7 were made by Kamakura with the Lynx being built with better materials. I am under the impression the M7 42 mm are from Nikon's Chinese source.
Steve, It was a Nikon representative that told me that the M7 x30s were made in a different factory to the x42s. It was George de Putter of Kite who claimed the shared development and differentiating options for the Lynx. Gijs, Jan and possibly others have mentioned that the Kite Japanese made models are made by Kamakura Koki. I don't recall that anyone has confirmed the speculation that the M7 and Lynx are made by Kamakura China or not.

David
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 16:51   #55
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
Steve, It was a Nikon representative that told me that the M7 x30s were made in a different factory to the x42s. It was George de Putter of Kite who claimed the shared development and differentiating options for the Lynx. Gijs, Jan and possibly others have mentioned that the Kite Japanese made models are made by Kamakura Koki. I don't recall that anyone has confirmed the speculation that the M7 and Lynx are made by Kamakura China or not.

David
David,

Thanks for the input. I have to think there is some functionally observable difference in the M& 30 vs 42 mm. Something is going on to place perspective on Frank's comments comparison with the Mojave 32 vs the Monarch 7 30 and the difference I see with the Mojave 32 and the M7 42. In our past review history, Frank and I have rarely differed in our respective opinions on any particular binocular, so I believe what Frank says he sees. I tend to think the design of the M7 30 mm has to be a better one, and a different one, rather than a scaled down M7 42 mm. I actually don't think it is as easy as just downsizing all the pieces, so there is probably a design difference. Whether the design is from the same or different factories will certainly have some relevance.

Here is the thread I was thinking about when I remembered Jan's post. I didn't find it earlier because I was not looking in the Kite Lynx threads.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=271312&page=2

Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 17:39   #56
typo

Steve,

I'd missed that post by Jan. It seems a bit odd that when Kite's owner was emphasising the points of 'superiority' of the Lynx to the M7 he didn't mention the country of manufacture.

David
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 19:04   #57
PhilR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I don't want to buy an M7, but I may need to do that because I need to see one myself. My local dealer seems to have no plans to carry them either.

I you want to try them before you buy, you can borrow mine if you want. If this interests you , PM me and we can work out the details.
Old Tuesday 18th March 2014, 20:35   #58
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
I you want to try them before you buy, you can borrow mine if you want. If this interests you , PM me and we can work out the details.
PM inbound . Thanks.

I'm most interested in seeing for myself the up close and personal differences only field use can really give. As to whether I wind up buying one or not depends on how much better I see it (or don't as the case may be) vs the Mojave.

Maybe Frank and I ultimately won't agree here as much as we mostly do. Anyway, I won't know until I have them both close to hand.

Old Friday 28th March 2014, 21:09   #59
mtmander

When I look at the Leupold site the Leupold 8x32 BX-3 Mojave has a mfg #118636 but when I look at some web sites (B&H , SWFA) they show the mfg#117985. Are these the same binos ?
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 22:32   #60
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmander View Post
When I look at the Leupold site the Leupold 8x32 BX-3 Mojave has a mfg #118636 but when I look at some web sites (B&H , SWFA) they show the mfg#117985. Are these the same binos ?
They have to be. There has only been one model of the Mojave 8x32, there have been two production runs (I think) but no model changes. It is getting to the point where I question just about anything I see on a company website. It should not be that way, but the web masters of today do not necessarily know how to focus a binocular (it seems) let alone be able to sort out the proper specifications. By far the best thing to do is call customer service and point out the error.

FWIW the number on the box 117985 .

Old Friday 28th March 2014, 22:48   #61
FrankD

At this point I am leaning towards the Nikon for ergonomics. Love picking them up, their feel against my face and the feel of the focusing knob. In terms of optical quality I prefer the Mojaves. They just show more detail. Better apparent sharpness likely the result of the better contrast. I like the image in the Nikon but I love the Mojave's.

Just wish I had a Nikon unit with better contrast. I emailed and PMed Mike Friedberg but have not heard back. I guess the next step is to contact B and H to see if they would be willing to exchange for a higher serial number model.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Friday 28th March 2014, 23:28   #62
typo

Frank,

That pre production baby M7 I tried I really liked a lot. It reminded me of the EII. Not it's equal, but small, waterproof and pocketable which count as a big plus for me. However I tried it was in the shade of a marquee so I'm apprehensive about commenting on glare and it's something I definitely need to check again, but the sharpness, contrast, sweet spot and ergonomics were first class for me. I wear glasses and even the 15mm ER was great.

From the various comments so far the glare issue doesn't sound like it's an inherent design problem but sporadic fitting of substandard components. I sincerely hope you (and I) find better examples.

David
Old Thursday 28th August 2014, 13:18   #63
hubcap

Steve and others thank you for the reviews for the Mojave 8x32.

Mine arrived yesterday and I have used them several hours.

My eyes see a very sharp and clear image. Very good color rendition. No glare or flare at all. Very large sweet spot. This is in the Florida sun from mid day until sunset.

Focus is like others mentioned, a little stickion in a couple of spots. This is much better after using it a good bit.

Steve mentioned the diopter was a "click stop affair". Mine has no clicks. I called Leupold tech and they said they had no clicks. I do not see much change when I move the diopter , a small change but not much.

The rain guard does suck. I ordered a Vortex guard with mine. Works perfect.
Old Tuesday 9th September 2014, 16:39   #64
marinemaster

Like mine a lot too. Very good for the price. It has replaced the Sightron 8x32.
Old Friday 12th September 2014, 18:15   #65
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out

Me too, but...

I just got a pair this last week too, and found them to be all others said, but the slightly heavier weight compared to the Sightrons has made me decide to sell the Mojaves and keep the Sightrons instead. It's not much of a weight savings, only 2.2 oz difference, but my old cranky hands sometimes need and appreciate less work, and so it is. Both are nice bins.

I've listed them in the Classifieds, if anyone wants a good deal on a pair. Prefer in the USA shipping though.

Edit: Might not have given them a fair chance yet-today I found the Mojaves a bit better in low light than the Sightrons, so I might change my mind about selling them.

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Saturday 13th September 2014 at 17:39.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th September 2014, 17:09   #66
kflan22

Cabelas 8x32

For those that are looking at the Mojave or Opticron 8x32 you may want togive this new Cabelas binocular a look. My experience with the previous "XT II" series is that is is the same or at least close enough to the Leupold Mojave for me to not notice a difference. Both made in Japan, same focus/diopter mechanism, and same view to my eyes. The XT series is now called Guide Series and they have added an 8x32 and 10x32 that look similar to the Mojave. Only its $249.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...RS/1821456.uts

Again, based in my experience with their XT series, I would give it a look if you are interested in the Mojave.
Old Saturday 13th September 2014, 23:15   #67
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflan22 View Post
For those that are looking at the Mojave or Opticron 8x32 you may want togive this new Cabelas binocular a look. My experience with the previous "XT II" series is that is is the same or at least close enough to the Leupold Mojave for me to not notice a difference. Both made in Japan, same focus/diopter mechanism, and same view to my eyes. The XT series is now called Guide Series and they have added an 8x32 and 10x32 that look similar to the Mojave. Only its $249.99

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...RS/1821456.uts

Again, based in my experience with their XT series, I would give it a look if you are interested in the Mojave.

17 ounces is rather light for a binocular with a "solid-aluminum internal housing" which they claim it has in their current Deer Hunter catalog.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th September 2014, 00:44   #68
kflan22

I will check one out a little closer the next time I stop in the local Cabelas.
Old Wednesday 17th September 2014, 01:44   #69
marinemaster

Are Cabelas made in Japan i wonder ?
Old Wednesday 17th September 2014, 02:08   #70
kflan22

Their XT & XTII series were. I have not yet verified that these new 8x32's are but will do so this week.
Old Wednesday 17th September 2014, 23:24   #71
marinemaster

Sounds good.
Old Thursday 18th September 2014, 22:33   #72
kflan22

Cabelas Guide Series 8x32

They are made in Japan. Our local store did not have an 8x32 on hand but they had the 10x32. They were closing when I stopped in last night otherwise I would have had a comparison to the Mojave for you guys. I will eventually be able to give them a try and report my findings.
Old Tuesday 30th September 2014, 00:17   #73
marinemaster

Ok thanks
Old Wednesday 8th October 2014, 00:25   #74
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
Are Cabelas made in Japan i wonder ?
The photo below is of an American binocular and a European binocular. They are the same size, have the same size oculars, the same size focus mechanisms, the exact same eyecups for a very good reason. Both the American bino and the European bino were made by the same company . . . in Japan.

The European bino came in a box that boldly stated, "made in XXXXXXXXXXX."
And it was, the BOX I mean.

Sometimes, after I say all this, I'm immediately asked, "What about _____?" Well, it's a free country and people can believe as they choose--and most often do. I don't have a horse in the race; I'm just sharing what I know to be true.

The PDF from my eternally ethereal book will explain more.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0923 copy.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	517023  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf American Binoculars.pdf (82.5 KB, 299 views)
Old Wednesday 8th October 2014, 03:28   #75
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
The photo below is of an American binocular and a European binocular. They are the same size, have the same size oculars, the same size focus mechanisms, the exact same eyecups for a very good reason. Both the American bino and the European bino were made by the same company . . . in Japan.

The European bino came in a box that boldly stated, "made in XXXXXXXXXXX."
And it was, the BOX I mean.

Sometimes, after I say all this, I'm immediately asked, "What about _____?" Well, it's a free country and people can believe as they choose--and most often do. I don't have a horse in the race; I'm just sharing what I know to be true.

The PDF from my eternally ethereal book will explain more.

Bill
Bill,

I have 2 models of that "European" binocular you show. One from around 2004 and a recent new version. (The exterior of both is unchanged but you can see the changes made in the optics from the colors of the coatings and the larger diameter of the exposed oculars and longer eye cups.)

I don't think that even the boxes were made in Europe.

The part where it says "Made in xxxxxx" has been glued onto both boxes even though the name of the country is printed on each box in big letters. The binoculars also have the name of the European country on the focus wheel but they do not indicate where they were made.

BTW, they are real good binoculars, especially the recent model!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 8th October 2014 at 03:32.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: