Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average.
Old Tuesday 21st October 2014, 20:24   #51
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think the GR is one of the most unique and unusual binoculars I have ever had. It is sad that there is no more USA made binoculars. We can make a quality binocular here. Is this really the last USA made binocular?
Under the legal definition of "Made in USA", a manufacturer can state its product is USA made if it is assembled in the US. I had experience in this area before I retired. I was responsible for ensuring compliance with US export laws by one of the largest US manufacturing companies. Having said this ...... does it really matter if all or only parts of this binocular was actually made in the USA as long as it was designed/assembled by American's in America by a USA company. I own a Leupold GR HD and if I were one of those American's who had part in producing this fine instrument at the Leupold plant in Oregon my answer would be ..... Yes, we can make a quality binocular here and we did. .... gwen
Old Tuesday 21st October 2014, 20:37   #52
Gilmore Girl
Beth

"All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon..."

Does the fact that they mention "machined" mean there is some degree of manufacturing process happening? Please forgive my ignorance here.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st October 2014, 21:14   #53
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Discussing this made in topic has me thinking. What percentage of say the alpha binoculars are actually made in the country they are from? What % of Zeiss are actually made in Germany? What % of Swarovski's are made in Austria? What % of Nikon are made in Japan? Does anybody really know?
Hello Dennis,

Regarding that Austrian brand, do you truly expect that every screw, nut, bolt, and fabricated metal piece was made in the Alps? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you, as we say in New York.
Beyond that, I would hardly be surprised if some of the optical components like, but not limited to, prism blanks, come from the Czech Republic.

Globalization and outsourcing are not just an American phenomenon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited by Pinewood : Wednesday 22nd October 2014 at 01:40. Reason: usage
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 00:21   #54
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
When you get to the Alpha-Alphas, they keep things pretty close to the vest. Some one asked about Burris, that little western US company that imports STEINER. . . . Oh, yeah, the one that's actually owned by Beretta, in ITALY! . . . which now OWNS Steiner.

Let's play musical optics.

Bill
Burris probably just has a computer sitting in a room ordering everything from China.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 00:23   #55
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Under the legal definition of "Made in USA", a manufacturer can state its product is USA made if it is assembled in the US. I had experience in this area before I retired. I was responsible for ensuring compliance with US export laws by one of the largest US manufacturing companies. Having said this ...... does it really matter if all or only parts of this binocular was actually made in the USA as long as it was designed/assembled by American's in America by a USA company. I own a Leupold GR HD and if I were one of those American's who had part in producing this fine instrument at the Leupold plant in Oregon my answer would be ..... Yes, we can make a quality binocular here and we did. .... gwen
Right on. That is exactly the way I feel. What all do you like about the GR and maybe don't like?
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 00:25   #56
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabeth2 View Post
"All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon..."

Does the fact that they mention "machined" mean there is some degree of manufacturing process happening? Please forgive my ignorance here.
I would say so. All those machines in the picture must be MACHINING something right?
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 00:27   #57
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello Dennis,

Regarding that Austrian brand, do you truly expect that every screw, nut, bolt, and fabricated metal piece was made in the Alps? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you, as we say in New York.
Beyond that, I would hardly be surprised if some of the optical components, like but not limited to, prism blanks, come from the Czech Republic.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Exactly my point. Not every screw in a Zeiss is made in Germany so why doe the GR have to have every part made in Beaverton to be made in the USA?
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 01:32   #58
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
I would say so. All those machines in the picture must be MACHINING something right?
I always assumed that the body and perhaps related parts for the GR binoculars were made there in the factory which would mean that there's a mix of assembling imported parts and making their own parts.

But, I think Bill is saying that this isn't true and that those machines are used
soley for assembling pre-fabricated imported parts. Correct me if I've got that wrong Bill.

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 01:39   #59
NDhunter

Quote:
I always assumed that the body and perhaps related parts for the GR binoculars were made there in the factory which would mean that there's a mix of assembling imported parts and making their own parts.

But, I think Bill is saying that this isn't true and that those machines are used
soley for assembling pre-fabricated imported parts. Correct me if I've got that wrong Bill.

Leupolds main business is rifle scopes. I am guessing that is 90% of
their business. They are a privately owned company.

They are the top seller in the US market for quality rifle scopes.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 01:40   #60
WJC

Quote:

Hi Annabeth:

Leupold & Stevens has been in business over 100 years, and there's no doubt they have experienced machinists; you can't MANUFACTURE rifle scopes without the workers and equipment. I'm just saying that I don't believe everything the armchair speculators place before me; experience on the line of fire has taught me not to. At this moment I'm working on a manifesto on this topic, which will be posted by tomorrow at the latest.

Bill

PS Jerry: If you would like my article on scopes from Deer & Deer Hunting, just let my know.

Last edited by WJC : Wednesday 22nd October 2014 at 01:47.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 04:35   #61
ronh

Dennis,

Thanks for the comparison. I always wondered about that Leupold. I've only seen one birder ever with a Leupold, I guess they only market to hunters. It's a shame they quit making that model, what were they thinking? There was a lot of discussion a few years back on the meaning of made in anyplace. As a rule, it means something like 50.00001%.

Oh, and by the way, what a disloyal scoundrel you are for buying yet another binocular (after what, about 4 years?). I figure somebody should say that. Seriously I wish you'd go back to your old flipping ways, which were entertaining, and useful.

Ron
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 04:48   #62
[email protected]

Trouble is I am "Flipped Out". Which means I have tried about every available birding binocular there is except for the real rare ones that I haven't been able to acquire like the Leupold GR HD 8x32. I haven't tried the new Zeiss SF yet so there is a new binocular that I need to get my hands on. Hmmm. Zeiss could you give me a pre-production test model. I have a Swarovski 8x32 SV that I would be glad to write up a nice comparison on it.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 22nd October 2014 at 04:55.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 04:52   #63
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Leupolds main business is rifle scopes. I am guessing that is 90% of
their business. They are a privately owned company.

They are the top seller in the US market for quality rifle scopes.

Jerry
Yes, I agree. Leupold were always known for their quality rifle scopes.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 05:00   #64
peatmoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/

Meopta, a Czech manufacturer of optics, has a plant in Hauppauge, Long Island, New York where they employ many people. Cabelas sells binoculars under its own brand name which are made by Meopta. They look like Meoptas and have similar prices. Does anyone know if they are either manufactured and/or assembled in the USA or in the Czech Republic?

And would it make any difference to you? Or do you really care one way or the other?

And that brings up another question: Would you rather have a binocular "manufactured" or "assembled" in the USA sourced from a Czech binocular manufacturer or one from a Japanese manufacturer?

Decisions, Decisions!

Bob
Hi Ceasar: Meopro and Meopro HD binoculars are labeled as "Assembled in the USA". From a QC standpoint, I'm comfortable with either American or Czech assembly as long as the after-purchase support is good. Of course, American assembly implies jobs for American workers which for me is a good reason to consider any such product, even if I have to pay a small premium.

Hi Gwen: It's always good to hear from somebody whose work experience is relevant to the discussion. Regarding the distinction between "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA", is it possible that there's been a change in the law since you worked in that field? To me it seems strange that Meopta would label its products as "Assembled in USA" if the products actually qualified to be labeled as "Made in USA", since the "Made in USA" label would likely be a stronger marketing term.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1788.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	518904  
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 05:00   #65
[email protected]

Quote:
Hi Annabeth:

Leupold & Stevens has been in business over 100 years, and there's no doubt they have experienced machinists; you can't MANUFACTURE rifle scopes without the workers and equipment. I'm just saying that I don't believe everything the armchair speculators place before me; experience on the line of fire has taught me not to. At this moment I'm working on a manifesto on this topic, which will be posted by tomorrow at the latest.

Bill

PS Jerry: If you would like my article on scopes from Deer & Deer Hunting, just let my know.
It is weird but the Leupold GR 8x32 HD looks American made or at least American designed. The design and build of it is different than many of the binoculars I have tried.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 05:16   #66
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
Hi Ceasar: Meopro and Meopro HD binoculars are labeled as "Assembled in the USA". From a QC standpoint, I'm comfortable with either American or Czech assembly as long as the after-purchase support is good. Of course, American assembly implies jobs for American workers which for me is a good reason to consider any such product, even if I have to pay a small premium.

Hi Gwen: It's always good to hear from somebody whose work experience is relevant to the discussion. Regarding the distinction between "made in USA" versus "assembled in USA", is it possible that there's been a change in the law since you worked in that field? To me it seems strange that Meopta would label its products as "Assembled in USA" if the products actually qualified to be labeled as "Made in USA", since the "Made in USA" label would likely be a stronger marketing term.

Cheers!
Do you think there would be some people that would consider the idea of the optics being made in the USA inferior to say Japan because Japan has a reputation for high quality optics.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 10:59   #67
SteveTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

It's quite interesting what you can dig up on this.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/22919-kahles-832/ (requires registration) :

" ... on a factory visit to Swarovski I went for a wander around the back of the factory and noticed strewn around the rubbish bins lots of boxes with the name Hoya on. As you probably all know Hoya is a proprietary optical glass manufacturer. I did some digging to see what the Japanese glass went into. The answer was that they [Swaro] "assemble" rifle scopes for importers who want their own name on them ! ... "
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 12:11   #68
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Hi Annabeth:

Bill

So I'm assuming you feel safe with 'made in the USA' for the GR riflescopes based on the above post.
But as for the discontinued GR binoculars you're suggesting those were only assembled (all foreign binocular parts) in the leupold plant ... is that correct?

I'm just trying to get this...I'm sure I'm the only one a bit confused here ... as usual.

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 12:35   #69
perterra

Quote:
So I'm assuming you feel safe with 'made in the USA' for the GR riflescopes based on the above post.
But as for the discontinued GR binoculars you're suggesting those were only assembled (all foreign binocular parts) in the leupold plant ... is that correct?

I'm just trying to get this...I'm sure I'm the only one a bit confused here ... as usual.
From a business viewpoint it would be hard to justify spending the millions required to produce no more units of binoculars than they were producing. If they were mfg binos in the USA they were losing a shoebox full of money on every unit they sold.

From the past I believe I have read from people who took plant tours they machine all the scope tubes here in the US and assemble with sourced glass(as most big names do).

Who grinds their own glass now?
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 13:13   #70
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

Who grinds their own glass now?
As far as I know, Meopta and Schmidt & Bender are the only ones who grind and polish their own glass, in house.
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 13:25   #71
SteveTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
As far as I know, Meopta and Schmidt & Bender are the only ones who grind and polish their own glass, in house.
Each time this comes up I find myself wishing for a pair of S&B binos, if only ...
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 13:53   #72
gcole

Quote:

Cheers!
The rules for designating "Made in USA" are generally .... the item has to have been substantially transformed in the US or the US manufacturing costs must comprise more than 75% of the total manufacturing.This is a loose definition but still applies to the best of my knowledge. "Assembled in the US" means that it doesn't meet the above definition so probably has more than 75% of non-US sourced components but simply put together in the US. Again, this is a very general definition and it is a very complex calculation that manufacturers have to do if they want to be able to defend their "Made in USA" designation. ...gwen
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 14:37   #73
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Smile

Quote:
It is weird but the Leupold GR 8x32 HD looks American made or at least American designed. The design and build of it is different than many of the binoculars I have tried.
Dennis, are you saying that it is ugly as sin? Garish, tasteless, gawdy and LOUD ?! Lacking in style and class? Overweight, big and fat? Is it dripping in lashings of superfluous chrome and redundant tailfins? ........

Or is it built like a tank? Bigger than Texas?! Crying out for a *subtle*! Stars and Stripes paintjob and wheelie bars!

America did some very nice stuff back in the 50's with futuristic concept cars that never got built, but by and large if you want style and class, you go to the Italians and Europeans (Hyundai's excellent Cally Design Studio, and the Marlboro Man's awesome Sheepskin Jacket notwithstanding! :)

Don't tell me that it *Trumps* your SV as a thing of style and beauty ?! ..... or is it just the quasi - made in the good ol' US of A that compels you to stand and salute everytime you lay eyes on it, could swear you can hear the Star Spangled Banner being butchered by some tone-deaf college girl (though nowhere near as bad as Roseanne Barr ! ), and get all misty eyed, so that it just looks that way?

More importantly is it a keeper, or is this the famous pump and dump to make way for the rather nice looking Zeiss SF?

Relax, I'm just funnin' ya !!

And yes, we really do have kangaroos hopping down the 'Mayne' St.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 15:06   #74
ceasar

Quote:

Cheers!

Thanks for posting that picture of the Blind Cap on the hinge cover. I've never seen a Meopta binocular. I wonder if Cabela's in house version they sell under their own name also says that?

BTW, the blind cap on the front hinge of my classically German Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline says it is made in Portugal and my classically German Zeiss 8x20 Victory says it is made in Hungary on the bottom of an objective tube so it seems that binoculars with famous names can be made many places.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 22nd October 2014 at 15:31.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 15:18   #75
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
And yes, we really do have kangaroos hopping down the 'Mayne' St.

Chosun
That's so cool !

The GR bins do have sort of an American vibe to them. The 8x32 always appeared small on the site back in the day, but I've heard they are somewhat large for a 32mm and very heavy of course. I've always liked their appearance/design, but I'm sure I wouldn't like the weight.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the brown color. I like earth tones, so it's nice to see the rare brown colored bins every so often. Some people think they look like doodoo.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Wednesday 22nd October 2014 at 15:33.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: