Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Miami Exotics

Old Monday 19th February 2018, 09:20   #1
SidmouthBirder

Miami Exotics

Returning to Florida in April for a couple of weeks birding. I've got the itinerary pretty much planned out, except for the Miami area where I want to find the 'exotics' (parakeets etc.). Will be coming from the north, Brian Piccolo Park for Burrowing Owls, heading down to Homestead. Can anyone give reliable areas in between those where I should find them? Thanks in advance.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 00:56   #2
Hamhed

EBird will tell you all you want to know with up to the day information. My wife and I will be in Miami in late April. Brewer's Roost, Miami Springs, University of Miami, Kendall neighborhood are several places that come to mind from my research.
Do you have a list?

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 19:30   #3
SidmouthBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhed View Post
EBird will tell you all you want to know with up to the day information. My wife and I will be in Miami in late April. Brewer's Roost, Miami Springs, University of Miami, Kendall neighborhood are several places that come to mind from my research.
Do you have a list?

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Since posting my question, I've just added Key Biscayne and Matheson Hammock as likely locations. Will take a look at your suggestions also.
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 11:13   #4
Hamhed

Brewer's Park is also known as Miller Drive Roost. Another location is Pine Woods Park, which has come to my attention recently through Miami-Dade eBird reports as having Red-whiskered Bulbul, Spot-breasted Oriole, Scaly-breasted Oriole and Monk Parakeet. Looking on satellite view, it is just a small, neighborhood park that appears to be mostly a power line right of way but apparently has what it takes to attract exotics.
One odd place we plan to visit is Ocean Bank, the best location for White-winged Parakeet. I think there are some tall palms where the birds roost. I think for many of the psittacids, staking out evening roost spots will be the surest way to find them.
You might glean some other information out of my 2014 Miami trip report:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=281090

Steve

Old Monday 19th March 2018, 22:18   #5
Pauhana

Millers roost can be very productive. Best time is early, sunrise. Watch for macaw flybys. Parrots will roost across canal in Australian pines. Spot breasted Orioles in surrounding neighborhood. Check ebird for Miami springs area also

Randy

“Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
― Ansel Adams
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 13:17   #6
SidmouthBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauhana View Post
Millers roost can be very productive. Best time is early, sunrise. Watch for macaw flybys. Parrots will roost across canal in Australian pines. Spot breasted Orioles in surrounding neighborhood. Check ebird for Miami springs area also

Randy
Many thanks to both, Randy and Steve - that gives me lots to work with. Enjoyed reading your trip report, Steve.

Bob.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 10:55   #7
Hamhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauhana View Post

Randy
As mentioned in the trip report, we went to Miami Springs twice and never saw a single exotic. Recently though, according to eBird reports, many different parakeets are being seen there. The reports are mostly from the morning; we went in the evening. Lesson learned!

Steve

Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 11:28   #8
SidmouthBirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhed View Post
As mentioned in the trip report, we went to Miami Springs twice and never saw a single exotic. Recently though, according to eBird reports, many different parakeets are being seen there. The reports are mostly from the morning; we went in the evening. Lesson learned!

Steve
Thanks again. So many lessons I need to learn!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: