Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Discovery WP PC 10x50 vs. Adventurer II WP 10x50 ?

Old Thursday 12th April 2018, 18:39   #1
chris6

Discovery WP PC 10x50 vs. Adventurer II WP 10x50 ?

Discovery WP PC 10x50 ........................... Adventurer II WP 10x50
field (m) ............... 115 ............................. 96
eye relief (mm) ...... 22 .............................. 17
H/W (mm) ............ 145x133 ...................... 162x133
weight (g) ............. 813 ............................. 760
official/FLO ......... 209/179 ...................... 109/109

I am ready to try yet another 10x50 so would appreciate views on these two Opticrons, especially with respect to their optical qualities such as definition, colour, and size of the sweet spot.

On the whole, but only if the quality of view is very similar, I might prefer to try the slightly lighter Adventurer, mainly to save the need to wind up the eyepieces at all when wearing eye glasses due (officially) to having less eye relief than the Discovery.

On the other hand I do see that the Discovery is more compact with a height of 145mm vs. Adventurer's 162mm, and that Discovery also has a wider FOV of 115m, vs. the Adventurer's 96m.

Have you compared them directly or what do you think of either model please?

Last edited by chris6 : Thursday 12th April 2018 at 18:49.
Old Friday 13th April 2018, 14:30   #2
FrankD

I haven't tried the 10x50 configuration of the Adventurer WP 10x50 but I have other configurations of that model. I have used the 10x50 Discovery on several occasions. The 10x50 Discovery is, if I am not mistaken, the most compact 10x50 on the market at any price point from any manufacturer. The ocular lenses are huge which gives me a very interface with my eyes. The sweet spot with the Discovery is very large and without close scrutiny even appears much larger than it actually is.

About all I can say for now.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 01:49   #3
chris6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
I haven't tried the 10x50 configuration of the Adventurer WP 10x50 but I have other configurations of that model. I have used the 10x50 Discovery on several occasions. The 10x50 Discovery is, if I am not mistaken, the most compact 10x50 on the market at any price point from any manufacturer. The ocular lenses are huge which gives me a very interface with my eyes. The sweet spot with the Discovery is very large and without close scrutiny even appears much larger than it actually is.

About all I can say for now.
Hi Frank,

Thanks very much for that information, about which I have only seen a hint before, for the additional note about the Discovery 10x50's large apparent sweet spot, and comment about the ocular lens interface.

I am now more inclined to go ahead with the Discovery but would you also give some idea as to how, in general, might its View have compared - say, with that of the Opticron DBA 10x42 and Orion Ultraview 8x42 which you have reviewed, and would you tend to recommend it?
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 06:47   #4
chris6

Frank,

I have now noted the comment at the end of the reply above and have also found the following thread, together with your own remarks in post #7...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=272204

and at
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...iscovery+10x50

Thanks again

Last edited by chris6 : Saturday 14th April 2018 at 13:21.
Old Saturday 14th April 2018, 09:09   #5
chris6

From his review at http://www.opticron.co.uk/PDF/Federi...very_10x50.pdf Federico Buldrini said: "... I contacted Opticron directly and discussed my needs, ending up for the Discovery, being advised that image quality would have been the same, but the (Discovery) 10x50 would have obviously gathered more light (than Explorer 10x42) ..."

To explain its lighter weight, I guess the Adventurer 10x50 might not have an alloy body:-

Relative dimensions:-
Discovery ...... Adventurer
813gms ........ 760gms (weight)
145mm ......... 162mm (height)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discovery & Adventurer Pics.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	659204  

Last edited by chris6 : Saturday 14th April 2018 at 09:29. Reason: link to review at opticron
Old Monday 16th April 2018, 20:57   #6
chris6

Opticron WP PC Mg 10x50 first impressions

Someone else said Discovery would be noticeably better than Adventurer and it has just arrived so here are some first thoughts:

Eye relief might be equivalent for me to 20mm, but I only need equivalent '16'
Cf. 8x32 with 7.5 degrees, Discovery's 10x with afov of 65 gives a noticeably bigger image so nice open feel
Don't need it personally but close focus is indeed 1.5m, and is perhaps be closer than usual for 10x
Definition is above average for those I have tried, most apparent in a close view or plumage,
...and against the usual targets including text
Sharpness is adequately maintained across the whole view, nice
Colour is natural and view lively, only just behind my benchmark Pentax DCF ED 8x32,
...which may have a little more contrast, but brightness is only about the same as Pentax
CA is pretty minimal, not noticeable to me
Focus action is high geared, 3/4 turn close to infinity, but snaps to focus so doesn't overshoot
Dioptre adjustment is sensitive and more tricky than usual
Smooth damping with no free play but, at least initially, slightly spongey feel as if due to oil-drag?
...maybe this is opticron's response to comments that it had been 'too light'?
Balance is unusual, just ahead of the mid point of the fat barrels, where thumb depressions extend to their inner surfaces,
...so only room for either thumb, but good grip and steadiness, like holding an open-hinge binocular

Smooth relatively soft skin
Well made and no obvious flaws
Heavy enough to be steady but short and nice to use
Excellent sharp view with a bit of easy going character and, except for the focus action, I preferred it to DBA VHD 10x42

Last edited by chris6 : Tuesday 17th April 2018 at 17:27. Reason: additions
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 12:23   #7
chris6

PS I asked Opticron about 'spongey' focus action of Discovery and they said it's due to the parts and lubrication used
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: