Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opticron Oregon 4 PC

Old Monday 13th August 2018, 08:52   #1
lgc123

Opticron Oregon 4 PC

Hi,

on the market for 8x32 binoculars in the 100 range, and been considering the Oregon 4 (bang on budget), or maybe stretching to the Discovery. I've just noticed that there is a new Oregon 4 PC model on sale for 110, which now include phase corrected coatings.

I can't find any impressions/reviews online - anybody tried them? I'm new to this, so I don't know how much of a difference the PC coating would make (or if other aspects might have gotten worse in the process..)
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 09:54   #2
typo

Igc,

Phase coating counteracts the light loss which is a potential pitfall of roof prism designs. In bright, sunny condition I suspect few would notice the difference, but in murky conditions the loss in contrast is usually much more obvious. It's a feature worth having.

David
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 16:36   #3
richard866945
Bino repair man

phase coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
Igc,

Phase coating counteracts the light loss which is a potential pitfall of roof prism designs. In bright, sunny condition I suspect few would notice the difference, but in murky conditions the loss in contrast is usually much more obvious. It's a feature worth having.

David
Roof prisms have an inherent problem. They can't focus all the colours / wave lengths into a sharp point. Porro prisms don't share this problem so PC coatings correct this out-of-phase error and therefore allow roof prisms to be as sharp as the equivalent porro prisms.
I'm not sure that they counteract any light loss.
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 18:02   #4
typo

Richard,

I was trying to keep it simple.

As you know the Schmidt-Pechan prism creates two polarised light paths and their recombination results in interference. I'm yet to find a good scientific account of the consequences, but I believe it is the cancellation in the perpendicular axis to the roof edge which not only causes the loss in contrast and therefore resolution, but also results net reduction in total transmission. I'm keen to find more specific information if you have it.

David

Last edited by typo : Tuesday 14th August 2018 at 03:53.
Old Saturday 18th August 2018, 05:26   #5
typo

Had a quick look at the Oregon 4PC yesterday and rather liked it. The phase coating gave it a bit of sparkle that I felt it's predecessor was missing. I preferred the 8x32 over the 8x42.

The Adventure T WP 6.5x32 with it's 161m/483 ft view and huge DoF was great fun as well. It even worked with my glasses!
Old Saturday 18th August 2018, 11:02   #6
StephenHampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
Had a quick look at the Oregon 4PC yesterday and rather liked it. The phase coating gave it a bit of sparkle that I felt it's predecessor was missing. I preferred the 8x32 over the 8x42.

The Adventure T WP 6.5x32 with it's 161m/483 ft view and huge DoF was great fun as well. It even worked with my glasses!
Hello Typo, how did the Oregon sit with your spectacles??
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 14:08   #7
typo

Stephen,

Sorry about the late reply. I was away for a few days without internet access.

They seemed fine with my glasses. I now see the ER is listed as 15mm, which would normally be on the limit for the specs I was wearing, but might well be a rathet short for some. I recall I needed to twist out the eyecups on the 8x42. Probably 2-3mm, but nothing like the 7mm difference shown in the specification.

David
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 15:14   #8
StephenHampshire

No problem, thanks for the reply...I think I might go for the Discovery 8 x32's as I like the close focusing, butterflies and flowers interest me too.
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 16:17   #9
typo

I think the close focus was about 8 or 9ft for the sample of the 8x32 Oregon PC I tried. The spec for the Discovery is 1.2m.

David
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: