Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 11:39   #776
rollingthunder

I didnít realise they were locally scarce and also do not know what the current shooting situation is - i donít go to Malta because of that, i donít want to pencil in another Mediterranean island on my list

Laurie
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 12:13   #777
Mike Montier

Hi Laurie.
I have asked around about hunting here and I believe the situation is quite good. I have never heard of any illegal hunting but apparently the vet gets a few birds of prey injured with shotgun pellets so I guess it must go on.
Things are slowly getting better but it won’t be eliminated overnight.
I complained vigorously about Malta and other countries and I got some very aggressive replies including one invitation to go there to meet some hunters who told me I wouldn’t need a return ticket home. I think I got the picture.
I live in hope of a world without illegal hunting.
Mike
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 13:22   #778
Darkus_Markus

Just returned from a few days in Mallorca, alas birding was few and far between but managed some lifers...

Black-winged stilts (on road to Es Trenc and salt flats)
Woodchat Shrike (on road to Es Trenc)
Hoopoe (on road to Es trenc and Cala Blava)
Kentish Plover (road to Es trenc, S'albufera)
Night Heron (S'albufera)
Purple Swamphen (S'albufera)
Audouin's Gull (Es trenc and Palma)
Crag Martin

Turtle dove heard (on road to Es trenc)

Other birds included fantastic close views of Little Ringed Plover at S'albufera.
Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Kestrel, Red Kite, Sardinian Warbler, Green Sandpiper, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Wren, Avocet, Raven, Spotted Flycatcher, Coot, Moorhen.

I also had alovely moment of being joined by a diving Shag when snorkelling.

Annoyingly there were a few glimpses and noises of things that were just missed, hopefully I can catch up with those next time.

A big thanks to Mike and this forum for all the tips. If I may close with some ID help on 2 images...

I'm assuming the first are Spotted Redshank ?
(taken at S'albufera distant and roosting when I saw them)

The second was taken at Cuber Resevoir, Griffon Vulture ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	700125  Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	700126  
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 18:43   #779
Mike Montier

That’s a nice number of Spotted redshanks just moulting out of summer plumage, well done.
I see at least one has been ringed. It would be fascinating to know where they bred.
I don’t have a good record for identifying raptors from photos but I can’t help thinking your bird is a Black (Cinereous) Vulture.
Maybe someone else could help us out.
Mike
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 19:15   #780
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Does anyone know of any reliable sites ln Puerto Pollensa for Scops Owl or Turtle Dove ? Would like to see some before heading home next week
When I was there in June I heard a Scopís Owl. I was up near the Finca at the start of the Bocquer and it seemed to be coming from Postage Stamp wood or thereabouts. Couldnít find it though.

Not at PP, but I had loads of turtle doves at Son Real.

Stew
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 19:48   #781
Ben Nevis

Thumbs up Cheers

Thanks for that Stew.
If time allows,l shall give it a go.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 07:07   #782
rollingthunder

Looks like a Cinerous to me...

Re: the hunting. That’s nice to know Mike

As for Malta. I would love to visit for the history as much as bird migration but there is no chance. The dreaded EU have not punished the Government for hunting transgressions and have given them ‘special’ arrangements to carry on hunting some species. I won’t bang on about it as Chris Packham has already done a high-profile job. A couple of years ago i had an ongoing spat with a certain Mifsud on Birdforum (it’s a Maltese name) the President of the shooting lobby - a smarmy nasty piece of work if ever there was. Suffice to say the hunters are related to the Police who are related to the judiciary who are related to the politicians.....

Laurie
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:39   #783
Mike Montier

The White-headed Duck is back at Bassa de Can Guidet today (Philip Garnet) also an unseasonal Tufted Duck and 70 Little grebes and one Black-necked grebe.
Also good wader passage at Salobrar with Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Temminck’s Stint and Spotted Redshank and one Gull-billed tern. (Jasůn)

Last edited by Mike Montier : Monday 22nd July 2019 at 20:43.
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2019, 09:39   #784
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Does anyone know of any reliable sites ln Puerto Pollensa for Scops Owl or Turtle Dove ? Would like to see some before heading home next week
Hello!
just yesterday a birder reported a Scops Owl (heard) between Duva Hotel and SŪller (where the track to Cala Sant VicenÁ starts).
As Stew says, where I have seen better Turtle Dove and closest place from PP it has been in Son Real.
Regards
Cristina
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de PollenÁa
Old Thursday 25th July 2019, 12:28   #785
Mike Montier

The salt pans at Salobrar de Campos were alive today with over 300 Avocets to greet me near the entrance, Spotted redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, Dunlin, Temminck’s Stint, Little Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper, Kentish Plover, Common and Green sandpipers, Curlew, two Gull-billed tern and two Common tern.
Marsh harriers and Flamingoes completed a very fine morning.
Mike
Old Saturday 27th July 2019, 09:25   #786
Mike Montier

Juanjo has just seen the first autumn migrant raptor leave the Island, a Common Kestrel.
It’s worth going end of July and early August because there are a few early leavers. All the Turtle doves have gone from my road and on my last visit to the Cap, 14 Turtle doves lined the road, a sure sign that they were on their way.
Black kites and Marsh harriers are also early and a few young Rollers can sometimes be seen.
Wheatears and Woodchats also depart.
Bee-eaters come through too, sometimes in big flocks, I think 84 was my highest count.
Fly through Whimbrel sometimes go past as do some terns and Oystercatchers.
Very early is best, it gets far too hot later.
Mike
Old Tuesday 30th July 2019, 21:47   #787
Mike Montier

Kingfishers are back around the coasts and at a Albufera.
Old Tuesday 30th July 2019, 21:54   #788
Mike Montier

The three White storks are still showing in fields near Casa Blanca.
Salobrar de Campos is still performing well with Little and Gull-billed terns, Temminck’s stints, Whimbrel, a Black-tailed Godwit and Ruff.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Tuesday 30th July 2019 at 23:31.
Old Wednesday 31st July 2019, 14:56   #789
Mike Montier

A long drive around the Centre of the Island today produced very little. At Pla de Lanzell (near Villafranca) there were five Common Kestrel, five Red kites and two Marsh harriers.
Last year around this time I saw 28 raptors on migration, mostly Marsh harriers but a couple of Black Kite too so I guess any day now things will get more lively.
I certainly hope so, waiting is agony.
Mike
Old Sunday 4th August 2019, 21:00   #790
thesetter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
Looks like a Cinerous to me...

Re: the hunting. That’s nice to know Mike

As for Malta. I would love to visit for the history as much as bird migration but there is no chance. The dreaded EU have not punished the Government for hunting transgressions and have given them ‘special’ arrangements to carry on hunting some species. I won’t bang on about it as Chris Packham has already done a high-profile job. A couple of years ago i had an ongoing spat with a certain Mifsud on Birdforum (it’s a Maltese name) the President of the shooting lobby - a smarmy nasty piece of work if ever there was. Suffice to say the hunters are related to the Police who are related to the judiciary who are related to the politicians.....

Laurie
Hi Laurie / Mike,

I regularly visit this thread as weíve taken family holidays on Mallorca and itís so useful for hints / tips etc. Mike, a big thank you for running it.

Iím also a vol with BirdLife Malta (BLM) and will be returning there for my 10th stint a few days after visiting Mallorca in September. Everything you wrote about the Ďinter-connectednessí of those involved is true of course- even worse on Gozo! However, the situation there shouldnít stop you from visiting. Remember, that the Spring referendum showed that half the population wanted hunting in that season banned and there are many, many people that are truly fed up with not being able to enjoy their countryside without the sound of shots or being confronted by bully boy hunters. BLM have never advocated boycotting and the more people that visit and discuss the illegal activity, the better.

Iíve been shouted at on many occasions but Iíve also had locals approach and say how embarrassed they are at such behaviour and how they regard those hunters carrying out illegal activities as being outdated. BLM are doing great work in schools and that will help change culture and thinking in the future.

In the end, of course, itís entirely your choice and I hope you donít mind me responding to your post on here.

In any case, Iím looking forward to a good holiday on Mallorca and some cracking birding.
Old Monday 5th August 2019, 10:01   #791
Mike Montier

Thesetter11.
I quite agree, the more birders and wildlife lovers who visit the hunting hotspots, the better. It puts more pressure on the authorities. I feel sure it is viewed as outdated by many of the younger generation there which looks good for the future but in the meantime, much damage is being done.
I did meet someone in Mallorca who was heavily involved in bird protection Malta and I learnt a lot. Some great people are working hard on behalf of birds so all power to you all. I feel sure hunting will eventually be a thing of the past.
Having said that, there is to be a Bullfight in Palma this weekend after a long absence. Needless to say, lots of demonstrations are planned.
I’m all for traditions and cultural differences but there are some practices which are just not acceptable any more.
Mike
Old Monday 5th August 2019, 10:06   #792
Mike Montier

I was at the Cap before first light today but had to leave early too.
16 Turtle doves lined the approach road and a Larus fuscus was an early surprise.
I was expecting some Swifts and hirundines but the skies were empty.
I will be going as often as my circumstances allow and will post all sightings.
Mike
Old Tuesday 6th August 2019, 08:30   #793
Mike Montier

Two Honey Buzzard were seen at s’Albufera a couple of days ago, very early, but it does mean some migration is under way.
They would have departed from the south no doubt so it’s worth a punt at Cap de Ses Salines.
Mike
Old Wednesday 7th August 2019, 15:13   #794
thesetter11

Absolutely right, Mike.

Shame about the bull fight, thatís another Ďtraditioní that is outdated and plain wrong in this day and age. Well,done to all those standing up against it.
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 12:41   #795
Mike Montier

An early morning visit to Salobrar was pretty good with a near summer-plumage Grey Plover, Temminck’s Stint, Dunlin, Ruff and a minimum of 120 Greater Flamingoes in flight. There were probably more hidden at the back of the reserve. Numbers will continue to build up towards autumn.
A Pallid Swift circled the reserve a couple of times and more Black-headed gulls have arrived.
Mike
Old Friday 9th August 2019, 13:25   #796
Mike Montier

A very rare trip to the beach today, past the other side of the salt pans, down to Es Trenc.
Lots of Common Swift on their way off the Island and one splendid juvenile Alpine Swift in with them.
Hundreds of Avocet on the pools but there was no stopping to count them on this part of the road, it’s chaos in the summer.
Our migration watch begins this weekend and I will post totals..if there are any, it’s still very early.
Mike
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 08:48   #797
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

An early morning visit to Tucan Marsh / Marinstay yielded Squacco Heron, Night Heron, Purple Heron, 2 Little Bittern, 6+ Purple Gallinule, Whimbrel, Common and Green Sandpiper, plus a huge tight feeding flock of 160+ Little Egret.

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Monday 12th August 2019 at 09:03.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 09:38   #798
Mike Montier

Nice birds Phil, thanks.
I went to the Cap yesterday for the first full morning of the season.
It was entertaining with just a few Common Swift and local raptors, or so I thought until four Common Kestrel flew up high and headed purposefully south towards Africa. Judging by their behavior, I would say they left the Island.
Also, my wife woke me early this morning to show me a flock of 30 Common Starlings whirring around our apartment. Nice way to start the day, they are the first I’ve seen this summer/autumn.
Mike
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 14:51   #799
Phil Andrews

The viewing platform at Albufereta yielded Purple Heron, Purple Heron, 2 Green Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, a family party of Stonechat, Marsh Harrier and Osprey (the latter two sharing a hay bale for a period of time).
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 14:53   #800
Phil Andrews

Viewing from my hotel balcony up the start of the Boquer Valley early mornings has produced up to 4 Eleonora's Falcon, regular sightings of Booted Eagle, 2 sightings of Short-toed Eagle, Hoopoe and Crag Martin.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: