Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 15:07   #801
Mike Montier

Hi Phil.
Short-toed Eagle is very scarce indeed in Mallorca, well done.
Perhaps you could let us know if you see it again, I’m sure plenty of local birders would like to see it.
Let’s hope it comes through the Cap in the south.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Monday 12th August 2019 at 17:45.
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 15:17   #802
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Phil.
Short-toed Eagle is very scarce indeed in Mallorca, well done.
Perhaps you could let us know if you see it again, Iím sure plenty of local birders would like to see it.
Letís hope it comes through the Cap in the south.
Mike
Hadn't realized Mike - would have posted sooner. The scope is permanently set up on the balcony so am having a skywatch several time a day. Will post any interesting sightings here (no Black Vulture yet).
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 18:08   #803
Mike Montier

At last the weather has broken with some grey clouds and strong winds coming in from the north-east. That should liven things up a bit.
I can’t get to the Cap again until Wednesday but it will be interesting to see if there is any movement.
Mike
Old Tuesday 13th August 2019, 08:44   #804
Phil Andrews

Early morning a very windy Son Bosc held:

2 Glossy Ibis, 10 Little Stint, 5 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Purple Gallinule, Little Tern, 2 Woodchat Shrike, Marsh Harrier

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Tuesday 13th August 2019 at 15:24.
Old Wednesday 14th August 2019, 18:04   #805
Mike Montier

A sneaky two hours at the Cap this morning, mostly local Booted Eagle, Peregrine, Red Kite, Kestrel, Ravens and 40 plus Common Swift moving through.
Jason had a great morning at Salobrar with Sanderling, Whimbrel, Glossy ibis, Curlew Sandpiper, Temminck’s Stint, Black necked grebe and Alpine Swift.
Mike
Old Thursday 15th August 2019, 12:03   #806
Mike Montier

I went to the salt pans this morning and not to the Cap. Two Black kites and a Marsh Harrier left the Island from the Cap and a local Common Buzzard all seen by Lalo and Susana.
The three Whimbrel were still at Salobrar together with Sanderling, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper and 7 Greenshank.
Over 40 House martins were on the wires and several Barn swallow were also present.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Thursday 15th August 2019 at 12:47.
Old Thursday 15th August 2019, 22:23   #807
Barmingbirder

Is Bonelli's Eagle a possibility on Mallorca still? If so which location I'd most reliable? Visiting next week, staying near Alcudia. Thanks in advance for any tips
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 07:06   #808
Mike Montier

There has been a very successful reintroduction scheme for Bonelli’s eagles and they can be seen in various locations around the Island. By far the best place I believe is Mortitx.
Most people seem to see them when they go there. Majestic birds, known locally as Perdicera because of their liking for partridge!
Mike
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 07:48   #809
Simon Wates

Quote:
Majestic birds, known locally as Perdicera because of their liking for partridge!
Mike
So happy they are settling in well in Mallorca.
Bonelli's Eagle is also called Aguila-azor, in which Azor = Goshawk. A very apt name IMO due to their incredible agility for an eagle. By the way, Bonelli's Eagle's favourite prey are the pigeons .

By the way Mike, I'm always checking on here, thanks!
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 10:56   #810
Mike Montier

Thanks for that Simon, always good to hear from you. All the best, Mike
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 10:58   #811
Mike Montier

Ps we always see one or two Bonelli’s eagles from the Cap every autumn although they are local birds. As Simon says, they are so agile and give a grand show when they are hunting, mesmeric.
Mike
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 18:59   #812
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmingbirder View Post
Is Bonelli's Eagle a possibility on Mallorca still? If so which location I'd most reliable? Visiting next week, staying near Alcudia. Thanks in advance for any tips
I see them at Mortitx about 2 visits in 3 - they are not guaranteed, but itís the only place that I have seen them. They are mostly around the bluffs at the far end, beyond the small reservoir.

Stew
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 19:14   #813
Phil Andrews

Early morning at Marinstay produced Night Heron, Purple Heron (with an apparent broken wing), female Garganey, a very elusive Ferruginous Duck and a fine array of waders hiding in amongst the hummocks - Temminck's Stint, 2 Little Stint, 2 Wood Sandpiper, 3 Curlew Sandpiper, 6+ Purple Gallinule, 7 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper and 2 Stone Curlew, plus a variety of Plovers.

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Friday 16th August 2019 at 19:29.
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 19:17   #814
Barmingbirder

Thanks for all replies.

I tried Mortix last September but could find where to park (a couple of already taken laybys) or find entrance to reserve...any help/map that can shared? Do you need a permit too? Any particular time of day best? Thanks again, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewB View Post
I see them at Mortitx about 2 visits in 3 - they are not guaranteed, but itís the only place that I have seen them. They are mostly around the bluffs at the far end, beyond the small reservoir.

Stew
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 19:31   #815
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmingbirder View Post
Thanks for all replies.

I tried Mortix last September but could find where to park (a couple of already taken laybys) or find entrance to reserve...any help/map that can shared? Do you need a permit too? Any particular time of day best? Thanks again, much appreciated
https://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com...lorca/mortitx/
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 19:31   #816
Mike Montier

Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I always get there super-early and bag one of the few spaces outside. Parking inside is not permitted as far as I know. I did it once and my car had been rearranged when I got back to it. I know somebody mentioned parking at the bodega (wine shop), buying a few bottles then asking to leave the car in the space for a while. I don’t know any other way. Perhaps others can help because neither of these options will be suitable for all visitors. The side of the road is too steep and people have damaged their cars trying to park there.
Mike
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 21:51   #817
StewB

Quote:
Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I always get there super-early and bag one of the few spaces outside. Parking inside is not permitted as far as I know. I did it once and my car had been rearranged when I got back to it. I know somebody mentioned parking at the bodega (wine shop), buying a few bottles then asking to leave the car in the space for a while. I donít know any other way. Perhaps others can help because neither of these options will be suitable for all visitors. The side of the road is too steep and people have damaged their cars trying to park there.
Mike
Not easy, but (famous last words) parking on the no-parking apron just outside the gates is usually possible and consequence-free. Alternatively, there is space on the right-hand side of the road about 200m back towards Pollenca. As Mike says, the earlier arrival the better. My friend Trevor did the park-at-the-winery trick, and they were quite happy for him to leave his hire car on their car park after he bought some of their (excellent) wine. If you do that you should walk back up the hill to look over some of the open area, which can be good for things like wryneck and cirl bunting.

Stew
Old Friday 16th August 2019, 22:45   #818
Barmingbirder

Excellent feedback, thanks guys. I'll report back if I get down there!
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 05:52   #819
rollingthunder

A coupla bottles of local wine sounds a win-win to me

I cycled up there when i last visited and had excellent views of Bonelliís just on spec and i am unaware of the reintroduction scheme - an excellent area, like so much in that part of Majorca and i look forward to returning

Laurie -
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 09:43   #820
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
A coupla bottles of local wine sounds a win-win to me

I cycled up there when i last visited and had excellent views of Bonelliís just on spec and i am unaware of the reintroduction scheme - an excellent area, like so much in that part of Majorca and i look forward to returning

Laurie -
Thereís a display board on the wall of the winery about the Bonelliís reintroduction scheme. Theyíve bred at Mortitx (I think itís pronounced Mor-teesh) for several years, and there are now nests elsewhere in the Tramuntanas.

Stew
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 10:01   #821
Phil Andrews

This morning at Son Bosc with an influx of waders:

5 Flamingo over, 13 Wood Sandpiper, 16 Little Stint, 6 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, male Ruff, Gull-billed Tern, 7 Marbled Duck, 8 Purple Gallinule, Teal, 2 Marsh Harrier, 3 Hoopoe, 2 Stone Curlew, 5 Woodchat Shrike, Nightingale

Disappointed by the lack of larks and Tawny Pipit.
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 13:50   #822
rollingthunder

Cheers Stew -

Didnít visit the winery as i was on a pushbike but as stated the whole area is great - just out of interest are the reintroduced Bonellis from elsewhere on Majorca or another Balearic island?

Laurie
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 14:33   #823
Mike Montier

I have been reading up about “Life Bonelli” but can’t find where the chicks originated from.
Planning began in 2007 and the first releases were in 2009. Some birds died having been electrocuted on pylons but ENDESA have since altered the pylons so that this no longer happens.
None of the birds have left the Island.
Carlota here in Mallorca ran the project I believe so I have written to her to find out the origins of the birds. Will let you know.
Mike
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 14:39   #824
Mike Montier

I had to work this morning and I could not therefore go to the Cap. I was in a bit of a mood on the way to Lidl after work which worked a treat as my wife suggested looking in at the Cap for an hour.
I’m glad she did. There were twelve Pallid Swift flying around and two young Alpine Swift joined them, no doubt on their way off the Island.
Just as we were packing up to go, I noticed three dots in the sky. I had no binoculars or camera but my scope lives in the car luckily.
The birds circled together and I was aghast to see three brilliant White storks.
I’m wondering if they were the same three that have summered at Casa Blanca.
I believe White storks leave at the end of August so it’s likely I guess. They didn’t leave though, instead they drifted off to the west.
Cheered me up no end it did.
Mike
Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 11:59   #825
Mike Montier

A fun morning at the Cap de Ses Salines with many of the locals and Frank, a visiting birder from the Netherlands.
I’m not sure if other birders suffer insomnia before a day out but I certainly do so I usually just get up and go. I was at the Cap just after 6.30am and saw 44 Scopoli’s shearwaters gliding gracefully over the waves. Two Eleonora’s Falcons left Cabrera to hunt over the pine trees at the Cap.
Three Turtle doves were at the roadside and a Blue Rock Thrush was sitting nearby for much of the time.
Two Alpine swifts were seen together with Marsh Harrier, Booted Eagle, many Red Kite, three Black Kite and the first Hobby of the autumn was logged.
A couple of Woodchats appeared and a group of 12 Ravens were having a go at a Marsh Harrier who clearly had gatecrashed their party.
I felt for Frank, news came through on his mobile of a first for the Netherlands, a Western Sandpiper.
The atmosphere at the Cap is always highly charged and it’s a privilege to be part of it all. Let’s hope for a bumper crop of migrants over the coming weeks.
Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: