Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ABA Big Year 2019

Old Saturday 22nd June 2019, 13:50   #51
trptjoe

...and for those keeping score, the 18th species is Black-chinned Sparrow.

700 around the corner!

Joe
Old Monday 1st July 2019, 14:19   #52
Tikli

John is on the move again!
https://birdingyear.com/red-legged-r...ras-flatteras/

He got two coded birds from Florida:
Zenaida Dove (4)
Red-legged Trush (5)
but unfortunately dipping Yellow-green Vireo(3)
Still a few species shy of 700.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 02:04   #53
trptjoe

The Deans are heading for Arizona, expecting to hit 700 within the next week. John may get there first.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (130.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.2 KB, 11 views)
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 06:54   #54
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikli View Post
John is on the move again!
https://birdingyear.com/red-legged-r...ras-flatteras/

He got two coded birds from Florida:
Zenaida Dove (4)
Red-legged Trush (5)
but unfortunately dipping Yellow-green Vireo(3)
Still a few species shy of 700.
I've taken enough Cory's Shearwater photos to know that the underwing & in particular P10 can be very tricky and it is not a good angle but the Cory's Shearwater photo appears to show a bird that is a decent candidate for Scopoli's Shearwater? Not sure if it is one of a sequence of pics that may show P10 clearly? Is this now split by ABA?

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Tuesday 2nd July 2019 at 07:14.
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 15:26   #55
trptjoe

I've added Stejneger's Scoter (a split of White-winged) to the Dean's lists, as the rumor is strong that the split will happen. I can always take it off later should it not happen.They got White-winged in New Hampshire and Stejneger's at Gambell.

Joe
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 15:35   #56
keeneone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
I've taken enough Cory's Shearwater photos to know that the underwing & in particular P10 can be very tricky and it is not a good angle but the Cory's Shearwater photo appears to show a bird that is a decent candidate for Scopoli's Shearwater? Not sure if it is one of a sequence of pics that may show P10 clearly? Is this now split by ABA?

All the best
The split hasnít happened yet. A few Scopaliís are seen on most Hatteras pelagic trips.

Laura Keene
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 16:34   #57
pbjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptjoe View Post
I've added Stejneger's Scoter (a split of White-winged) to the Dean's lists, as the rumor is strong that the split will happen. I can always take it off later should it not happen.They got White-winged in New Hampshire and Stejneger's at Gambell.

Joe
This split is already published, but not yet implemented in the Clement's list, should be in the annual update (July/August time frame as I recall).

https://academic.oup.com/auk/advance...ukz042/5522257
Old Tuesday 2nd July 2019, 18:38   #58
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeneone View Post
The split hasnít happened yet. A few Scopaliís are seen on most Hatteras pelagic trips.

Laura Keene
Laura

Noted.

Many thanks

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Wednesday 3rd July 2019, 17:15   #59
Brian J Small

Quote:

All the best
Hi Paul

This is surely not a Scoppli's... just thought I would throw that out there for debate.

You can't even see the underside of the primaries - the white you can see on the 'hand' is on the underwing coverts.

The bill structure is too bulky also, to me.

Brian
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 03:10   #60
trptjoe

The Deans hit 700 on the 4th of July! Nobody had ever done it two years in a row, and now they're at three!

Joe
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 07:22   #61
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J Small View Post
Hi Paul

This is surely not a Scoppli's... just thought I would throw that out there for debate.

You can't even see the underside of the primaries - the white you can see on the 'hand' is on the underwing coverts.

The bill structure is too bulky also, to me.

Brian
Brian

Serves me right for looking at pictures on a phone! Having looked on a computer, you are clearly right on the underwing. On bill size, I find that so variable.

An interesting set of photos of Scopoli's off Hatteras on ebird when I looked.

I do need at some point to spend some time amongst a Scopoli's population as I confess to a massive amount of scepticism on the split.

All the beat

Old Friday 5th July 2019, 14:04   #62
Brian J Small

Quote:
Brian

Serves me right for looking at pictures on a phone! Having looked on a computer, you are clearly right on the underwing. On bill size, I find that so variable.

An interesting set of photos of Scopoli's off Hatteras on ebird when I looked.

I do need at some point to spend some time amongst a Scopoli's population as I confess to a massive amount of scepticism on the split.

All the beat
Nice comparison of bills - http://shearwater.nl/index.php%3Ffile=kop65.php.html

scroll down to bottom.

B
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 15:47   #63
trptjoe

In celebration of the Deans hitting 700 (they're the only two birders to have three 700+ Big Years, whether consecutive or not), here's the Continental Lists update.
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx (175.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (661.4 KB, 12 views)
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 18:15   #64
pbjosh

Quote:
Paul and anyone else interested, this discussion reminds me of a particular comment to the 2018 NACC vote on this split, which I found quite interesting:

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2018-C-4

"NO. I have been working on these taxa at FLMNH from the many beached specimens we get (and a visit to the NMNH). About 125 specimens total. Using criteria to differentiate in Pyle, we have a good number (48%) of large birds, without any white on the undersides of the primaries (=borealis). We have a smaller number (15%) of small birds with lots of white on the undersides of p9 and p10 (= diomedea). But we have a whopping 36% that are intermediate. The intermediates are dispersed throughout the range between diomedea and borealis. Howell pointed out there are a large number of intermediate specimens. Two measured out as edwardsii. We have started doing some DNA analyses: one of the edwardsii did not amplify, the other came out as borealis. The intermediates fell both into diomedea and borealis. Even some of the ones we thought we were sure about did not align with their phenotype. I feel that there must be more mixing than the research on the breeding grounds has found. We are working on a paper, but waiting for the full genetic analyses."
Old Friday 5th July 2019, 21:29   #65
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J Small View Post
Nice comparison of bills - http://shearwater.nl/index.php%3Ffile=kop65.php.html

scroll down to bottom.

B
Fine margins between those Cory's & Scopoli's bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Paul and anyone else interested, this discussion reminds me of a particular comment to the 2018 NACC vote on this split, which I found quite interesting:

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/propos....html#2018-C-4

"NO. I have been working on these taxa at FLMNH from the many beached specimens we get (and a visit to the NMNH). About 125 specimens total. Using criteria to differentiate in Pyle, we have a good number (48%) of large birds, without any white on the undersides of the primaries (=borealis). We have a smaller number (15%) of small birds with lots of white on the undersides of p9 and p10 (= diomedea). But we have a whopping 36% that are intermediate. The intermediates are dispersed throughout the range between diomedea and borealis. Howell pointed out there are a large number of intermediate specimens. Two measured out as edwardsii. We have started doing some DNA analyses: one of the edwardsii did not amplify, the other came out as borealis. The intermediates fell both into diomedea and borealis. Even some of the ones we thought we were sure about did not align with their phenotype. I feel that there must be more mixing than the research on the breeding grounds has found. We are working on a paper, but waiting for the full genetic analyses."
The comments about edwardsii surprise me as that didn't seem too much of a problem in the field. Edwardsii alongside borealis in the attached first pic and borealis in a flock of edwardsii in the second pic. No surprise on the borealis/diomedea comments however!

Many thanks both

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edwardsii alongside Borealis 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	699107  Click image for larger version

Name:	Borealis amongst Edwardsii flock.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	699108  

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Friday 5th July 2019 at 21:35.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 17:06   #66
Tikli

John Weigel broke 700, currently on 713.

He got Little Egret (4) from Maine and 18 more common birds from New Hampshire, Maine, Minnesota and North Dakota. Unfortunately, no photos or blog post yet.

He's still missing 25 Code 1 and 55 Code 2 birds. Assuming he gets all those, he needs just seven birds to break 800.

Last edited by Tikli : Sunday 7th July 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Error in numbers.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 20:21   #67
Tikli

John has added a blog update:
https://birdingyear.com/new-england-...mer-beautiful/
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 16:59   #68
trptjoe

Updates for all as of noon today:
ABA
John - 720
Deans - 704
McQuades - 659

Continental
Deans - 704
John - 677
McQuades - 659

Joe
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 13:52   #69
Tikli

John has few additions from Colorado, Washington and California pelagic, including Townsend's Storm Petrel (3).
https://birdingyear.com/the-list-so-far/

I find his Vaux's Swift photo interesting. I have never seen Swifts perching on a wire. Is this typical behavior for Vaux's Swifts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VauxsSwift20190712-05005300015JRW_3818.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	699788  
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 14:51   #70
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikli View Post
John has few additions from Colorado, Washington and California pelagic, including Townsend's Storm Petrel (3).
https://birdingyear.com/the-list-so-far/

I find his Vaux's Swift photo interesting. I have never seen Swifts perching on a wire. Is this typical behavior for Vaux's Swifts?
Juv Tree Swallows?
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 16:32   #71
Kratter

Will be interesting to see if Weigel goes for the Antillean Palm-Swift in the Florida Keys. Here for the second day. Only second -ever ABA record; first in 1972!

Also, Chaetura swifts never perch on wires; I don't think they are physically able. Agree with juv Tree Swallows, although the other photo on his blog looks good for VASW

Andy
Old Tuesday 16th July 2019, 18:18   #72
Tikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratter View Post
Also, Chaetura swifts never perch on wires; I don't think they are physically able. Agree with juv Tree Swallows, although the other photo on his blog looks good for VASW

Andy
Thought something like that but I have experience only on European Apus swifts so wasn't 100% sure.
Old Wednesday 17th July 2019, 13:35   #73
Kratter

ABA big year birders should not stray too far from Florida: in the past nine months we have had one new species for the ABA area (Dark-billed Cuckoo), three Code-fives (Double-toothed Kite, Red-legged Thrush, Antillean Palm-Swift), plus European Robin (Code 5, but may not be accepted by FOSRC), Black-tailed Gull (Code 4), White-collared Swift (4), and lots of more regular Caribbean strays (several Key West Quail-Doves, Zenaida Dove, Thick-billed Vireo, La Sagra's Fly, Bananaquit, Bahama Mockingbird, Black-faced Grassquit, Western Spindalis)
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 20:46   #74
trptjoe

Out visiting the daughter & granddaughter for the week. Here are the updates. John sent a list of birds he'd had in Hawaii that he's now cleaned up for his Continental list.
The Deans are at the point where they'll move up the charts virtually every day for a bit. I've attached a Word doc of that list.
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019.xlsx (130.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (614.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx (175.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (662.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: docx ABA Big Years.docx (115.8 KB, 23 views)
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 19:44   #75
trptjoe

To whomever caught the fact that I'd marked off Common Snipe on John's New ABA list but had neglected to get it on his Continental list: thanks! (I'm sure John thanks you, too)
He's back from Australia and he's in Florida going swift-ing.

Joe
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: