Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

budget Opticron quality

Old Sunday 18th August 2019, 14:35   #1
CO_west

budget Opticron quality

I'm pretty new to the forum, and looking to get started with some decent 8x42 binoculars. I'd never even heard of Opticron until today, but I've found some great deals on ebay and now I'm trying to learn more. I'm most interested in the Discovery series, but the Explorer WA series is sometimes available for a good price as well.

How durable are these binoculars and what is their build quality like? I've seen very few complaints online, but they're out there. How would these compare in terms of build quality and durability to comparable offerings from Vortex and Nikon?

In fact, what would the comparable models be to the Discovery and Explorer?

The shame is that there are no Opticron dealers in my area, so I can't get my hands on one and look through it. But I'm willing to take a chance for a deal that will save me some cash and still get me a quality pair of binos.
Old Monday 19th August 2019, 03:08   #2
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

If you want to buy something soon to take advantage of deals currently available, of the three options you mention, I would go for the Explorer. Nikon and Vortex make some good bins for the price as well, but based on a quick review of specs, the Explorer has the widest field of view of the three in the 8x42 model. Generally, Nikon has the nicest focusing function. I own different models by all three. All are generally well made and durable and fairly comparable in optical performance at a given price.

If you want to wait and study your options further before buying, you are likely to get more technically savvy advice and alternate recommendations from others here shortly.

Hope this helps.

Mike

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th August 2019, 10:37   #3
pete seaman

Over many years both my wife and myself have used Opticron binoculars and scopes here in the UK and have never had ant serious problems with quality. I my opinion probably one of the best brands in the mid to lower range,iI cannot comment on higher quality as I have not tried enough of them.
Old Saturday 24th August 2019, 22:57   #4
CO_west

Thanks for the replies. I watched a video review of several 8x32 binoculars and the reviewer complained about the small eyecups on the Discovery WP 8x32's. Has anyone else noticed this as an issue? Are the eyecups different on the 8x42s? Once again, I really wish there was a local place for trying these out, but instead I have to rely on the knowledge of others.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 00:36   #5
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_west View Post
Thanks for the replies. I watched a video review of several 8x32 binoculars and the reviewer complained about the small eyecups on the Discovery WP 8x32's. Has anyone else noticed this as an issue? Are the eyecups different on the 8x42s? Once again, I really wish there was a local place for trying these out, but instead I have to rely on the knowledge of others.
I owned the Discovery 8x32 for a while. Nice binocular for the price. Note the Discovery series is very compact, especially the 8x32 you mention, this may be why the reviewer found the eyecups too small. Since you are looking for an 8x42 that shouldn't be a problem generally.

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 11:43   #6
iveljay

Eyecup size is an area where I find that several are too big for me and I have disposed of several pairs of otherwise good binoculars for this reason. Generally the more modern the design, the more likely they are to be bigger than their predecessors it seems. So a range of sizes is good, just a pity you don't get a choice of size. So what one reviewer may regard as a negative may be a positive for you.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: