Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rubber armor loose ... normal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 22:57   #1
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Rubber armor loose ... normal?

So I ran cold tap water over the body of my ultravid to clean it.
Just ran it for a few seconds then dried it with a clean dish towel.
I noticed a bit later when putting it back in the case a clicking noise
underneath. It was a little loose in and around the thumb ridges area.

So I researched a bit online and discovered this can actually be normal since
the rubber is not glued down (I knew that part already) and temp changes will make it expand and contract. The cold water made it a little looser around the ridges due to expansion. This area makes the most sense to feel loose.
I just took it back out of the case again after putting it away about a couple
hours ago and it's less loose on the right side, almost back to normal.

Reading user experiences online I see that some people mentioned during hot weather it will get tighter again. Some people sent their bins back in for repair while others ignored it and treated it as normal. Thinking back about previous bins I had I do now recall a couple with slightly loose armor in spots. One was a Vortex Viper 32mm.

My Leica is now out of warranty. I'll call Leica on Monday and ask questions.

Just wondering what others think about this. Should I not be too concerned?
It doesn't hinder function and the rubber is still doing its job protecting the bino.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Saturday 7th September 2019 at 23:07. Reason: Fixed typos
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 00:15   #2
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 3,297
Every rubber covered bino I own, or have owned, has done this. As you mention, this rubber will expand and contract hundreds or thousands of times over years of use and it's only natural that it develops ''play.''
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 10:31   #3
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Every rubber covered bino I own, or have owned, has done this. As you mention, this rubber will expand and contract hundreds or thousands of times over years of use and it's only natural that it develops ''play.''
Thanks James. I never noticed it on the Ultravid, but have noticed it with
cheaper binos. I guess I didn't expect it, but it does make perfect sense.

It feels almost back to normal this morning.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 13:06   #4
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,669
How do you mean the UV 7X42HD+ is out of Warranty, it is a relatively new model glass so to speak, I mean it is not a BA. I would send them in, because it will likely occur again. You might be surprised, Leica is stepping up their game these days, they re-armored a 10X50 BA I bought used with total cleaning for no charge. If your glass is in good shape I would think they would take care of you. If some one sends in an abused glass, that is a different story.
You could monitor it for a while, see if it separates again, or not. I have the UV models, and have never had that trouble with cleaning the armor or being out in a wet environment.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 13:12   #5
temmie
Registered User
 
temmie's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,289
I would ask Leica to agree to send them in, in some years, without cost.

Not now.

Too many people sending in binoculars just for minor repairs like this are a burden to the repair facility. I feel it is much more efficient to send them in e.g. every 10 years and have everything checked, rather than send them back for the smallest scratch. But that's me!
temmie is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 14:28   #6
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
I would ask Leica to agree to send them in, in some years, without cost.

Not now.

Too many people sending in binoculars just for minor repairs like this are a burden to the repair facility. I feel it is much more efficient to send them in e.g. every 10 years and have everything checked, rather than send them back for the smallest scratch. But that's me!
I agree . It also seems quite normal.
I'll probably call Leica tomorrow anyway just to get their opinion.
But I don't think it's necessary to send it in.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 14:29   #7
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
How do you mean the UV 7X42HD+ is out of Warranty, it is a relatively new model glass so to speak, I mean it is not a BA. I would send them in, because it will likely occur again. You might be surprised, Leica is stepping up their game these days, they re-armored a 10X50 BA I bought used with total cleaning for no charge. If your glass is in good shape I would think they would take care of you. If some one sends in an abused glass, that is a different story.
You could monitor it for a while, see if it separates again, or not. I have the UV models, and have never had that trouble with cleaning the armor or being out in a wet environment.

Andy W.
I had the 3 yr passport warranty which has expired.

I'll call Leica tomorrow and get info about what may be covered now.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Sunday 8th September 2019 at 14:31.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 17:01   #8
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 3,297
If you really use your bino's, in all weather, this is going to happen. It's a waste of time to send them in, and risk loss or more damage through handling etc., for something so minor and so expected.
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 17:23   #9
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
If you really use your bino's, in all weather, this is going to happen. It's a waste of time to send them in, and risk loss or more damage through handling etc., for something so minor and so expected.
Yes, I agree and have already decided not to send it in.
I did send Leica support an email this morning to have them confirm
this is all normal so that I have it in writing. I have the binocular up for sale
and want to cover myself if a buyer feels any slight loose armor in that spot and asks about it. I haven't heard back from Leica yet.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 19:09   #10
Mike F
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 205
What? You’re selling your beloved UVHD+ 7x42? What’s up?
Mike F is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 19:10   #11
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
What? You’re selling your beloved UVHD+ 7x42? What’s up?
Hi Mike,

Please see my sale Ad here on the forum. There's a full explanation there.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 21:25   #12
F88
Registered User
 
F88's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Hi Mike,

Please see my sale Ad here on the forum. There's a full explanation there.


I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've enjoyed reading your enthusiastic reviews on the Trinovid (still a favourite of mine) and 7x42 UV+.
Sometimes downsizing doesn't always have to be too much of a loss, the Zeiss Victory 8x25 certainly demonstrate that for me.
I hope I'm not out of line in saying but my brand new 7x42 UV+ cost me about USD130 more than your sale price, I did get quite a decent deal on mine though.
F88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 21:33   #13
Mike F
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Finland
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Hi Mike,

Please see my sale Ad here on the forum. There's a full explanation there.
Sorry to hear about your issues GG. Perhaps a better harness might be the answer as others have suggested? If not, all the best with the sale and with finding a worthy replacement.
Mike F is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 21:37   #14
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've enjoyed reading your enthusiastic reviews on the Trinovid (still a favourite of mine) and 7x42 UV+.
Sometimes downsizing doesn't always have to be too much of a loss, the Zeiss Victory 8x25 certainly demonstrate that for me.
I hope I'm not out of line in saying but my brand new 7x42 UV+ cost me about USD130 more than your sale price, I did get quite a decent deal on mine though.
Thank you :)

I'll get a good 32mm. I'm thinking of the 8x32 EL SV, but I'd have to save up for that one. I'm using the old CL 8x30 and I do like it, but I'd prefer to upgrade to the EL if I can get enough cash from selling stuff on ebay.

I would love to just grab a 8x32 Ultravid Plus, but I tried it before I purchased the 7x42 and the little 8x32 had too short eye relief with my glasses unfortunately.

Wow you got an incredible deal on your new 7x42. There are no brand new 42mm HD+ for that cheap here...not even close. I believe my used price is actually quite fair after researching used Ultravids online. There are really no 7x42 used that I could find anywhere. I found a regular HD (not Plus) Used 7x42 on B&H for 1200, so I think 1400 used for the Plus version is a good price. I don't really see any others at this point.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Monday 9th September 2019 at 21:42. Reason: cleaning up typos
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 21:40   #15
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues GG. Perhaps a better harness might be the answer as others have suggested? If not, all the best with the sale and with finding a worthy replacement.
I have pre-existing shoulder issues. I think the solution is not in a better harness (I have a decent one), but to simply just cut the weight down with a smaller size binocular. I'm not getting any younger and I think I should go lighter now. This way whatever replacement I find will last longer.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:06   #16
F88
Registered User
 
F88's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Thank you :)

I'll get a good 32mm. I'm thinking of the 8x32 EL SV, but I'd have to save up for that one. I'm using the old CL 8x30 and I do like it, but I'd prefer to upgrade to the EL if I can get enough cash from selling stuff on ebay.

I would love to just grab a 8x32 Ultravid Plus, but I tried it before I purchased the 7x42 and the little 8x32 had too short eye relief with my glasses unfortunately.

Wow you got an incredible deal on your new 7x42. There are no brand new 42mm HD+ for that cheap here...not even close. I believe my used price is actually quite fair after researching used Ultravids online. There are really no 7x42 used that I could find anywhere. I found a regular HD (not Plus) Used 7x42 on B&H for 1200, so I think 1400 used for the Plus version is a good price. I don't really see any others at this point.
I agree on both counts, hard to find a 7x42 period and yours look to be in good condition. I did get quite a good deal and they were bought here in AUD (they also had a great deal on a new pair of NV 10x42 at the time).
It's a shame the UV 8x32 didn't work out as they are quite petite for a 32 and weight is going to be the issue by the sounds of it. My 32's aren't a huge amount lighter than the UV 7x42 but every bit counts.
Hopefully the EL 32 will work out weight wise at only 190g less than the UV 7x42. Is there any chance you could try a variety of pairs to see how you get along with the optics but also importantly the weight, a birding club perhaps?
There's plenty of noise about them in the Zeiss section but the Victory 8x25 have a heap of eye relief for something so small and light and the optics are great. I'm not a spectacles wearer but I use my 8x25 a lot, they might surprise you and the weight reduction will certainly be advantageous.
All the best with everything and please let us know how you get on.

Last edited by F88 : Monday 9th September 2019 at 22:09.
F88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:21   #17
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
I agree on both counts, hard to find a 7x42 period and yours look to be in good condition. I did get quite a good deal and they were bought here in AUD (they also had a great deal on a new pair of NV 10x42 at the time).
It's a shame the UV 8x32 didn't work out as they are quite petite for a 32 and weight is going to be the issue by the sounds of it. My 32's aren't a huge amount lighter than the UV 7x42 but every bit counts.
Hopefully the EL 32 will work out weight wise at only 190g less than the UV 7x42. Is there any chance you could try a variety of pairs to see how you get along with the optics but also importantly the weight, a birding club perhaps?
There's plenty of noise about them in the Zeiss section but the Victory 8x25 have a heap of eye relief for something so small and light and the optics are great. I'm not a spectacles wearer but I use my 8x25 a lot, they might surprise you and the weight reduction will certainly be advantageous.
All the best with everything and please let us know how you get on.
The EL 8x32 looks to be 5-6 ounce lighter and I think that should make a good difference, but you're right to suggest there are fly weight options out there. My CL 8x30 is almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42 and it makes a huge difference. I don't have access to try many different binocular models, but I may go to the Audubon nature store and see what they have. They may have the new CL which I wouldn't mind trying too.

I just think a 8x32 could be more comfortable with glasses. I need to get a lighter weight binocular, but also one that works well with my eyeglasses.
I thought of the EL SV since it has long eye relief and those large ocular lenses. Last time I looked through one was a few years ago and it was very good with my glasses. I want to have only one good binocular at this point and not sure a 25mm is a good all around bino if you're just going to have one for all birding. So, I think sticking with a very nice 8x32 is what I want to do. We'll see...I'm not in a rush...the little CL is working just fine for me now and I could keep using this for quite a while and be OK with it.
Also, I like the colors of the CL and thinking the EL SV will have similar color representation. The ideal would be the Ultravid 8x32, but I already know ER is too short sadly.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:44   #18
F88
Registered User
 
F88's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
The EL 8x32 looks to be 5-6 ounce lighter and I think that should make a good difference, but you're right to suggest there are fly weight options out there. My CL 8x30 is almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42 and it makes a huge difference. I don't have access to try many different binocular models, but I may go to the Audubon nature store and see what they have. They may have the new CL which I wouldn't mind trying too.

I just think a 8x32 could be more comfortable with glasses. I need to get a lighter weight binocular, but also one that works well with my eyeglasses.
I thought of the EL SV since it has long eye relief and those large ocular lenses. Last time I looked through one was a few years ago and it was very good with my glasses. I want to have only one good binocular at this point and not sure a 25mm is a good all around bino if you're just going to have one for all birding. So, I think sticking with a very nice 8x32 is what I want to do. We'll see...I'm not in a rush...the little CL is working just fine for me now and I could keep using this for quite a while and be OK with it.
Also, I like the colors of the CL and thinking the EL SV will have similar color representation. The ideal would be the Ultravid 8x32, but I already know ER is too short sadly.
I too don't have access to try many binoculars, perhaps that's why I've bought so many instead of merely testing? I do however have a good local club which I'm sure could be useful but I'm not a member.
10 ounces is about 280g if my memory serves, a reasonable weight reduction so if that's sufficient then your CL may well be the way to go or stay as it were. That 10 ounce reduction however is about the total weight of the Victory 8x25. Regarding the 25's for all round birding and viewing in general I think for the most part you'd see little compromise and that had either early or late in the day or under very heavy foliage cover particularly in combination. I'm really happy with mine but that is a consideration though I might add that the difference at those times may not be as dramatic as you'd expect from such a diminutive pair.
Hopefully you can get an opportunity to spend some decent time welding a variety of pairs and assessing the physical and viewing comfort.
F88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:49   #19
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
The EL 8x32 looks to be 5-6 ounce lighter and I think that should make a good difference, but you're right to suggest there are fly weight options out there. My CL 8x30 is almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42 and it makes a huge difference. I don't have access to try many different binocular models, but I may go to the Audubon nature store and see what they have. They may have the new CL which I wouldn't mind trying too.

I just think a 8x32 could be more comfortable with glasses. I need to get a lighter weight binocular, but also one that works well with my eyeglasses.
I thought of the EL SV since it has long eye relief and those large ocular lenses. Last time I looked through one was a few years ago and it was very good with my glasses. I want to have only one good binocular at this point and not sure a 25mm is a good all around bino if you're just going to have one for all birding. So, I think sticking with a very nice 8x32 is what I want to do. We'll see...I'm not in a rush...the little CL is working just fine for me now and I could keep using this for quite a while and be OK with it.
Also, I like the colors of the CL and thinking the EL SV will have similar color representation. The ideal would be the Ultravid 8x32, but I already know ER is too short sadly.
Hi GG.

Why not take a look at the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B with its new "Optical Box?"

Jan Van Daalen has high praise for it! "A little jewel from another planet!"

There is no reason it shouldn't work well with spectacles.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=23

https://www.allbinos.com/330-binocul...on_8x30_B.html


Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 9th September 2019 at 22:58.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:51   #20
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
I too don't have access to try many binoculars, perhaps that's why I've bought so many instead of merely testing? I do however have a good local club which I'm sure could be useful but I'm not a member.
10 ounces is about 280g if my memory serves, a reasonable weight reduction so if that's sufficient then your CL may well be the way to go or stay as it were. That 10 ounce reduction however is about the total weight of the Victory 8x25. Regarding the 25's for all round birding and viewing in general I think for the most part you'd see little compromise and that had either early or late in the day or under very heavy foliage cover particularly in combination. I'm really happy with mine but that is a consideration though I might add that the difference at those times may not be as dramatic as you'd expect from such a diminutive pair.
Hopefully you can get an opportunity to spend some decent time welding a variety of pairs and assessing the physical and viewing comfort.
The issue for me with 8x25 and even some 8x30 is the smaller exit pupil which is less comfortable with eyeglasses. My CL 8x30 is OK with eyeglasses, but I think an 8x32 with more ER will be better. I have the first gen CL which has 15mm ER. I would prefer a bit more ER and a more comfortable view if I'm only sticking with one binocular.

If I do happen to decide to stick with my current CL then I may add the new 6.5x32 Kowa BDII so I have a nice lower power bino on hand.
But, if I decide I have enough for a top expensive binocular like the EL SV then no way I'm buying another binocular. That one will be enough.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 22:53   #21
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Hi GG.

Why not take a look at the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B with its new "Optical Box?"

Jan Van Daalen has high praise for it! "A little jewel from another planet!"

There is no reason it shouldn't work well with spectacles.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=23


Bob
Yes, the new CL is on the table. I'm hoping the nature store will have them.
It's the only store around that has binoculars on hand. They used to have the old CL, so I'm thinking they'll have the new one. I may go up there one day this month or next.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 23:05   #22
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
The only binoculars I am interested in replacing my heavy Ultravid are:

Swaro EL SV 8x32 - my top choice since it's so exquisite and has long ER. It's one I've always admired.

Swaro CL B 8x30 - Hoping color representation is similar to original CL. Not loving the new aesthetic design however. I like the look of the original.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - getting a big heavy though at 22 ounces. Tried it once in store and worked quite well with my glasses and had a comfortable view.

Ultravid HD+ 8x32 is the one I always wanted, but sadly ER is too short.

Others I would like to try just for fun:

Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 23:12   #23
F88
Registered User
 
F88's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 203
Eye relief is listed as 16mm for the new CL and 16.5mm for the Victory.
Weight is 490g and 290g respectively.
I think both these options should provide more optical performance and viewing comfort than one may expect.
Depending on how much of an issue weight (and size) are one is close to the more standard 32 size in that regard while the other is a true light weight pocket size.
Without these considerations I'd personally skip the 30 and jump to a 32, that's why my collection steps up from 25 to 32 and so on as the 30's aren't really a compact. However if the CL weight is acceptable for your shoulder then it may well be the perfect compromise.

Last edited by F88 : Monday 9th September 2019 at 23:15.
F88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 23:20   #24
F88
Registered User
 
F88's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
The only binoculars I am interested in replacing my heavy Ultravid are:

Swaro EL SV 8x32 - my top choice since it's so exquisite and has long ER. It's one I've always admired.

Swaro CL B 8x30 - Hoping color representation is similar to original CL. Not loving the new aesthetic design however. I like the look of the original.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - getting a big heavy though at 22 ounces. Tried it once in store and worked quite well with my glasses and had a comfortable view.

Ultravid HD+ 8x32 is the one I always wanted, but sadly ER is too short.

Others I would like to try just for fun:

Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
Your body will let you know if you can accommodate your 32 of choice but hopefully if it doesn't work out you'll have had the opportunity to test that out before buying.
If you're not having dramas with your current CL and it's weight is more or less the same as the new one then the new model may scratch your itch.
Definitely try the Victory if you can and give it a good go. If they work for you then the light weight surely is a bonus.
F88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th September 2019, 23:37   #25
Gilmore Girl
Beth
 
Gilmore Girl's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by F88 View Post
Your body will let you know if you can accommodate your 32 of choice but hopefully if it doesn't work out you'll have had the opportunity to test that out before buying.
If you're not having dramas with your current CL and it's weight is more or less the same as the new one then the new model may scratch your itch.
Definitely try the Victory if you can and give it a good go. If they work for you then the light weight surely is a bonus.
I have no issues with my CL. I hope to be able to try the new CL and the new Victory pocket at the store next time I go. I don't know what they have there now in the display case, as I haven't been up there for several months. Would be nice if they had some used binos, but they rarely have any used.

I've always notice just a few ounces lighter in the field can make a big difference after a few hours. I think even the 21 ounce EL would work well, but if I can get even lighter weight that works for me that would be nice.

I do have a desire for the EL 8x32 though for its all around excellence and very nice ergonomic feel... it's a beauty.
Gilmore Girl is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing rubber armor/armour of Trinovid 10x42 BA Megaloblatta Leica 3 Sunday 11th November 2018 15:29
Separation of the rubber armor from binos body andrea86bert Swarovski 6 Tuesday 1st October 2013 16:40
Rubber armor coming off? ap307 Zeiss 23 Monday 7th March 2011 01:29
poisonous?? Minox HG 8x33 rubber armor? yo5454 Minox 5 Wednesday 10th February 2010 00:34
Touch-up rubber armor??? Forcreeks Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 0 Saturday 14th February 2004 08:10

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19506788 seconds with 37 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45.