• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Hovering' Marsh Harrier - Wirral UK (yesterday) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I am certain this is a Marsh Harrier but is montage 2 that the same Harrier 'hovering'?

I know birds don't 'really' hover as such and just use the wind to keep position, but do Marsh Harriers regularly hover or is this another bird?

The thing is, I put down my camera when the Harrier disappeared from shot and only noticed this other bird, which 'hovered' for a full minute or so, a little later and at first I just thought it was a common Kestrel - I was using a 300 lens so couldn't make a full identification in the field.

Any help appreciated as always.

cheers

Attachments

• marsh-harrier.jpg
    marsh-harrier.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 170
  • hovering-harrier-possibly.jpg
    hovering-harrier-possibly.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 155
Marsh harriers do hover briefly from time to time, but the bird in the second set of images is a common kestrel - note the much narrower hand with fewer 'fingers' and proportionally longer tail than the juvenile marsh harrier in the first set of photos.

Marsh harriers do hover briefly from time to time, but the bird in the second set of images is a common kestrel - note the much narrower hand with fewer 'fingers' and proportionally longer tail than the juvenile marsh harrier in the first set of photos.

Cheers for that - and thanks for the extra info :t:

Beautiful juvenile Marsh Harrier and Common Kestrel indeed.

It was a really nice experience watching them in that habitat - who needs hides ha ha ;)

I have seen them hover, abroad, a number of times and soaring on migration in small groups and mixed with other raptors:t:

Laurie -

Good to know - thanks :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back