• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Superb is the word - well done Carl

Is this the start of a Greater Grimley thread Brian?

Could well be......

Like all wetland sites in Worcs this autumn, it has been a fairly lacklustre time at Grimley/Holt. This past week though has really seen things crank up a few gears.

Highlights have been a very confiding Grey Phalarope, the first Grey Plover since April 2000, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Arctic Tern, 2 White Wagtails, several Wheatear and 2 Little Egrets. The first Marsh Tit for at least a couple of years was also encouraging.

Brian

Could well be......

Like all wetland sites in Worcs this autumn, it has been a fairly lacklustre time at Grimley/Holt. This past week though has really seen things crank up a few gears.

Highlights have been a very confiding Grey Phalarope, the first Grey Plover since April 2000, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Arctic Tern, 2 White Wagtails, several Wheatear and 2 Little Egrets. The first Marsh Tit for at least a couple of years was also encouraging.

Brian

Phil, forget scillies v Shetland: start another thread - Grimley v upton8-P

There's no denying Upton had an amazing spring, but other sites such as Bittell and Grimley have done better during the autumn.

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether one site is better than another. All local patches have quiet times and can then suddenly become really good again. That's the nature of local patch birding - getting through the quiet periods is what sorts the men from the boys ;)

Brian

There's no denying Upton had an amazing spring, but other sites such as Bittell and Grimley have done better during the autumn.

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether one site is better than another. All local patches have quiet times and can then suddenly become really good again. That's the nature of local patch birding - getting through the quiet periods is what sorts the men from the boys ;)

Brian

A Grey Plover and Spotshank certainly arent to be sniffed at! A shame there arent more watchers across Grimley as I suspect stuff slips through unnoticed.

A Grey Plover and Spotshank certainly arent to be sniffed at! A shame there arent more watchers across Grimley as I suspect stuff slips through unnoticed.

Me too! With only three competent birders visiting the site on a regular/semi-regular basis I hate to think what passes through. If it had the intensity of coverage that Upton gets we would be alot closer to finding out.

Brian

Absolutely - the first two-day birds we've ever had of either species. Also present this morning were 2 Little Egrets, 5 Green Sandpipers and Turtle Dove along with some overhead movement all heading SW: Yellowhammer, a few Redpoll and Chaffinch and well into double figure counts Siskins and Meadow Pipits.

Brian

Took a trip to Grimley today, Grey Plover still present. Despite repeated scanning from the top road, couldn't see the Spotted Redshank, even thou the word was it had been seen again at that spot. 3 heavy duty vehicles were landscaping, so that might have encouraged it to relocate.Turtle Dove feeding on the floor between the pools was a first Midland tick for me. Kingfisher showing well and fishing in exactly the same place as when i visited this time last week. The place is really taking shape now, will be improving all the time as things mature.

Absolutely - the first two-day birds we've ever had of either species. Also present this morning were 2 Little Egrets, 5 Green Sandpipers and Turtle Dove along with some overhead movement all heading SW: Yellowhammer, a few Redpoll and Chaffinch and well into double figure counts Siskins and Meadow Pipits.

Brian

Nice selection of birds, especially the dove.

Highlights at Grimley so far this month included the first Hen Harrier since 1998, a superb adult male that arrived from the north-west over Camp Lane Pits and departed high to the south-east on 3rd. Seven juvenile Wheatear together at Camp Lane Pits on 6th arrived following strong north-westerly winds so presumably originated from Iceland/Greenland while the 2 Little Egrets, 2 Green Sandpipers and Common Sandpiper all remained.

Brian

The second week of October ended in style today with the discovery of Worcestershire's first ever Barred Warbler! Pictures here.

Other highlights from the past week include 6 Crossbills, Rock Pipit, Merlin, Jack Snipe, 9 Goosander, 2 Pintail, 2 Wheatear, 2 Little Egrets, 4 Green Sandpipers and Brambling.

Brian

Last edited:
Congrats to all involved with the Barred Warbler - the Grimley area's recent run of County Firsts (Glossy Ibis, Lapland Bunt, Lesser Scaup) continues.

I'm passing Grimley and Holt tomorrow as have to work that way. Can any one have any good places to park and watch please. Very little information on the Trust website.

Many thanks

I'm passing Grimley and Holt tomorrow as have to work that way. Can any one have any good places to park and watch please. Very little information on the Trust website.

Many thanks

Easiest places to park and watch are here and here (park carefully by black barn at latter point). Both these points offer views of the Camp Lane Pits which is often the most productive area and there are more pools here than the maps suggest. Good chance of Goldeneye, Pintail, Peregrine and Merlin around here. There is also a regular flock of Golden Plover (upto 70) opposite the Top Barn Farm entrance in fields on west side of A443 here. Hope this helps.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back