• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Dawn (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
First light and Robins' icing sugar songs seep around the curtains, gently insistant.

Almost-dark and Redwings are already moving, black bat-like silhouettes fluttering from roost to sky. And they are being watched.

On the steeple an almost invisible gorgoyle moves, then launches an attack on scimitar wings - a male Peregrine at full tilt skims the wind and comes down to Redwings just beyond the garden, turns and returns, just yards away, then back to the church.

Collared doves are cooing in the copse, Rooks cawing in the wood, Blackbirds' staccato chacks echo against the walls.

The Peregrine's second foray: shallow rapid wingbeats accelerating the bird beyond escape veloscity, but again he makes for the steeple without a catch.

A Mistle thrush sings atop the poplar, Wood pigeons answer. Gulls descend from a dull sky like a snow flurry as the Peregrine launches himself once more.

This time he slices over trees to take a Redwing, so quick the strike is unseen, and he makes for his lofty perch to feed as, only now in early light, the world really wakes.

Nice post H, love the scary gargoyle line.

And Nicky says I'm to thank you for the amazing velbon tripod I got from Nicky for christmas, as she'd seen you recommending an amazing bargain on BF! :t:

Thanks, Larry, hope you & Nicky had a good 'un.

No matter how good the tripod it doesn't stop it from sinking into the ooze of the bund between the salt pans and launching your new scope into the brine!
Fortunately I'd already got me the Spooner!

Thanks, Larry, hope you & Nicky had a good 'un.

No matter how good the tripod it doesn't stop it from sinking into the ooze of the bund between the salt pans and launching your new scope into the brine!
Fortunately I'd already got me the Spooner!

Blimey, was the scope recoverable :eek!:? Congrats on the spooner though H,:t: guess I've probably left it too late for that one. More gutted at dipping at Pak Thale with each passing year!

Blimey, was the scope recoverable :eek!:? Congrats on the spooner though H,:t: guess I've probably left it too late for that one. More gutted at dipping at Pak Thale with each passing year!

Yeah, the scope's OK - did get a little cloudy for a while, but in the heat it dried out nicely!
Yeah, you're going to have to hurry to see the little Spoonies - which is why I made the trip this year, after putting it off in favour of another day in the jungle up until now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back