• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Zeiss stars after tripod use (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Today after a very active exercise-filled and sociable morning I was happy to give over a few hours this afternoon to more solitary pursuits: checking and recalibrating the dioptre settings on my binos, using a tripod and various indoor and outdoor targets to focus on. The idea was to let the tripod take the strain and to do everything carefully, using objective covers and not needing to squint.

You will see why I've chosen the Zeiss forum in a moment, but first to be set up and then enjoyed were a couple of Leica glasses, 8x32 and 7x42 - both UVHD plus. Having them set up on a tripod was a revelation and I enjoyed the rich colours and contrast, and the lack of flat field. I love both of these for viewing close up details of woodwork, earth, weathering on stonework and metalwork as they get a warm but still sympathetic treatment (to my eyes at any rate). Also for the saturation.

Then it was the turn of two Zeiss, the 8x42 HT and 8x56 FL. Now I know the HT is a transmission legend and I already love my pristine secondhand copy (thanks again, Lee) but the clarity of detail through this on the tripod was unbelievably good. I had to go back and check the Leicas again. They had their own magic but the HT appeared to shatter the laws of physics; where does all that light come from?

That wasn't the end of it. I hadn't realized till now quite how impressive the 8x56 FL was either. From use out and about I already had my suspicions and knew that it provided very easy viewing through the oculars but the muscle fatigue from hand-held use unsurprisingly tended to detract from the experience. Now on the tripod the view was effortless and very very clear indeed. I had so nearly sold this optic a few months ago because unlike binoculars with more regular objective sizes it was quite unwieldy. How glad I am not to have done so.

Is the 8x56 FL a sleeper that few have appreciated, or does it already have an outstanding reputation? How little I know and of course one might expect a bino of this specification to be bright but this glass or my example of it is one hell of a performer. You just don't have to work to see the image clearly; viewing is open and easy. All the odder to read somewhere that the more recent 8x54 HT which presumably replaced it isn't particularly impressive.

Apart from the weight the only other thing I don't like about the 8x56 FL is the feel of the outer cosmetic finish. Personally I prefer the handling and grippability of the HT design, though many will feel the opposite, I know, especially in cold weather.

Tom

I would be interested if anybody knows the light transmission figures for the 8x56 Victory FL, compared with the 8x42 Victory HT.

Are comparisons invalid because of the different objective lens sizes? Presumably not but I am not good on optical - or other - science.

Tom

SeldomPerched, post 1,
Both have light transmissions around 95% at 550nm, you can find a test report of them from 2016 together with other 56 mm binoculars on the WEB site of House of Outdoor, see under "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken".
Gijs van Ginkel

SeldomPerched, post 1,
Both have light transmissions around 95% at 550nm, you can find a test report of them from 2016 together with other 56 mm binoculars on the WEB site of House of Outdoor, see under "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken".
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you, Gijs. I have had a look but unless I've missed the relevant report the article I found compared 2 other binoculars with the newer 8x54 HT. I didn't see a review of the 8x56 FL. In any case, interesting to see that Zeiss were able to reduce the diameter to 54mm - the HT glass must be very good for them to be able to consider doing that and saving weight in the process.

Tom

Tom:

You should look back on the Zeiss subforum, and find where Henry Link posted about his review of the 8x54 HT.

He found it behind in optics compared to the FL. Much less resolution and more. You would find that
one interesting.

It would be nice if Henry would chime in.

Jerry

I would be interested if anybody knows the light transmission figures for the 8x56 Victory FL, compared with the 8x42 Victory HT.

Are comparisons invalid because of the different objective lens sizes? Presumably not but I am not good on optical - or other - science.

Tom

Hi Tom

Glad you are still enjoying those HTs. Comparing binos that differ in all manner of ways is certainly valid if the comparison is concerned with what works for you, what you enjoy, what enables you to achieve your goals with your observation. And in a way you do that every time you choose which bino you will take out today.

Lee

SeldomPerched, post 4,
Try Test-van-8x56-kijkers-van-Leica-Swarovski-en-Zeiss-maart-2016.pdf on the topic "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken"on the web-site of House of Outdoor and you wil find the test report I was referring to.
It contains a review of tests of many different 8x56 binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

Is the 8x56 FL a sleeper that few have appreciated, or does it already have an outstanding reputation? How little I know and of course one might expect a bino of this specification to be bright but this glass or my example of it is one hell of a performer. You just don't have to work to see the image clearly; viewing is open and easy. All the odder to read somewhere that the more recent 8x54 HT which presumably replaced it isn't particularly impressive.

Tom

Tom,

The 8x56 FL is certainly appreciated by me. After using some other binocular for a while I’m always happy to return to its ultra low aberration image. Even after 12 years I can still be startled by how sharp and transparent it is compared to all the other binoculars I’ve tried. The only potential rival I see right now is the Swarovski 8x56 SLC, which I haven’t had a chance to try yet.

Here are some links to my original 2007 thread about the 8x56 FL, a 2015 thread containing a comparison between it and the 8x42 HT and some 2014 tests of the 8x54 HT with comparisons to the 8x56 FL.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81438
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=313034
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=285414

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Tom

Glad you are still enjoying those HTs. Comparing binos that differ in all manner of ways is certainly valid if the comparison is concerned with what works for you, what you enjoy, what enables you to achieve your goals with your observation. And in a way you do that every time you choose which bino you will take out today.

Lee

That is certainly true, Lee. It needed saying and is in fact the way I feel myself. To look through each instrument on the tripod was a reminder just how good all of them are, each in slightly different ways.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back