• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

Thanks Kevin, merry Christmas to everyone from me too.
Moorethm9, well done with the Slender-billed Gull, a very scarce bird in Mallorca.
I will be back at the weekend and will be out birding again as soon as I can. Mike.

Hoopoes's Festival

This afternoon near the Depuradora of s'Albufera ona festival of hoopoes, at least 24 (probably more) in several wires, just so strange.

Attachments

• 24Puputs800.jpg
    24Puputs800.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 122
What an amazing spectacle Joseph, and is that an ‘out in the open’ Sardinian Warbler on the fence next to the sparrow?

Yes, there were also thekla lark, black bird, willow warbler, thrush, stonechat, some people told me than maybe they were all pointing the situacion of an owl, because it is strange so many species and birds just there noisy and nervous.

The pity is that i was looking for Short-ear owl, so maybe it was just there... Who knows

Amazing event Pep, I have never seen anything like it. The most I have ever recorded is nine lining the road in the way down to the Cap de Ses Salines. I believe the birds were migrants but the birds in your photograph must be resident birds surely? I normally only see Hoopoes on their own in winter so even more strange.
I will be at Leighton Moss late morning tomorrow so if anyone is around, it would be nice to say hello. Mike

When I saw a photograph taken today of a summer plumaged Black guillemot, even I thought something was amiss. Then I realised that it was April Fools Day in Mallorca, the first year ever that I haven’t dashed off for the most unlikely rarities.
Back home tomorrow and I hope to add a couple more species to my list before the year runs out. I still won’t make 200 though. Hopefully I can fare better in 2019.
I hope everyone has recovered from all the festivities, Mike.

Last edited:
As the year comes to a close, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread, all visitors for their trip reports, photos and other information, Martin for his expertise with moths and insects, Maties for putting me right on my mis-identifications, Pep for sharing so much local knowledge and photos, Carlos for producing the annual report and Steve for translating it and maintaining the rare birds web site.
Undoubted highlight of the year was the second ever record of Red-flanked bluetail at La Gola found by Cristina.
For me, the passage of shearwaters during spring is my favourite day out closely followed by the raptor migration in Spring and autumn.
It really is a fantastic Island to live on and I am looking forward to another year here with hopefully some super birds and some more rarities.
I hope to meet up with many of you again during the coming months.
Happy New Year to all, above all good health.
Mike

The same to you Mike and all contributors to this thread, it cheers me up when I read it and reminds me that it will not be too long before I go back to Majorca.

best regards
Merlin

Many thanks for running this thread Mike, I really do enjoy seeing the reports. I did get a week in Mallorca this year and had a great guided tour with Cristiina again and got to mee the famous Pep briefly too. I hope to be across in 2019, reading this thread certainly draws you back and adds to the anticipation of the next visit. I am looking forward to the 2019 version.
Happy New Year
Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back