• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emberiza (1 Viewer)

Mu-Yeong Lee, Hey Sook Jeon & Junghwa An (2017) Complete mitochondrial
genome sequence of Emberiza sulphurata (Emberizidae: Emberiza), Mitochondrial DNA Part B, 2:1, 111-112, DOI: 10.1080/23802359.2017.1289351

[pdf]

Emberiza melanocephala x ruficeps - hybrid zone

Gholamhosseini, Aliabadian, Darvish, Töpfer, Sætre. 2017. An expanding hybrid zone between Black-headed and Red-headed Buntings in northern Iran. Ardea 105:27-36.
[abstract]

Fangqing Liu, Janine Antalffy & Longying Wen (2019) The complete mitochondrial genome sequences of two Emberiza (Aves, Passeriformes), Mitochondrial DNA Part B, 4:1, 914-915, DOI: 10.1080/23802359.2018.1450655

[pdf]

Emberiza godlewskii

Jiande Li, Gang Song, Naifa Liu, Yongbin Chang and Xinkang Bao. Deep south-north genetic divergence in Godlewski’s bunting (Emberiza godlewskii) related to uplift of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and habitat preferences. BMC Evolutionary Biology 19: 161 (2019).

Abstract:

Background

Geological events and climatic changes played important roles in shaping population differentiation and distribution within species. In China, populations in many species have contracted and expanded responding to environmental changes with the uplift of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau (QTP) and glacial cycles during Pleistocene. In this study, we analysed the population structure of Godlewski’s Bunting, Emberiza godlewskii, to determine the effects of major historical events, geographic barriers and past climatic changes on phylogenetic divergence and historical demographic dynamics of this species.

Results

A phylogeny based on concatenated mitochondrial and nuclear DNA datasets show two (northern and southern) clades approximately diverged 3.26 million years ago (Ma). The West Qinling Mountains serve as a dividing line between the two lineages. Both lineages experienced a recent demographic expansion during interglacial periods (marine isotope stages (MISs) 2–6). Bayesian skyline plots and the results of ecological niche modelling suggested a more intensive expansion of the northern lineage during the late Pleistocene, whereas the southern lineage was comparatively mild in population growth.

Conclusions

Our results provide insights into the distribution patterns of avian taxa and the possible mechanisms for a south and north divergence model in China. The deep divergence may have been shaped by the uplift of the QTP. Habitat preferences might have facilitated the lineage divergence for E. godlewskii. Moreover, the West Qinling Mountains act as a dividing line between the two lineages, indicating a novel phylogeographic pattern of organisms in China. The difference in population expansion mode between two lineages resulted from different effects caused by the climate of the LGM and the subsequent habitat changes accompanying the arrival of a colder climate in northern and southern regions of China.

[full article]

You are the full paper?
I'd be interested to see it. (I am a human being, though :cool:)

For comparison: the last tree I attached here is a ML tree based on the same genes, which (even though it is not entirely based on the same individual sequences and the choice of outgroups is not identical) should be fully equivalent to the first tree shown in Fig. S1 of the supplementary material of Cai et al.
(Note that I recovered Arremonidae sister to Emberiza, albeit with mixed support (BS = 85), while in the new study, Calcariidae are are consistently sister to Emberiza with BS = 100, in all trees, be them based on one or more gene(s).)

This new study uses sequences that I regard as obviously problematic, such Päckert et al.'s myoglobin sequence KP877878 (see my comments above) and the "Emberiza aureola" NC_022150 mitogenome, which is obviously wrong and mostly E. rutila (cox1 is rutila; cytb is rutila; 16s is rutila; nd2 is partly rutila (the 360 first bp or so), partly highly divergent (9-10% from both rutila and aureola; doesn't match anything else in GenBank closely)).

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see it. (I am a human being, though :cool:)

For comparison: the last tree I attached here is a ML tree based on the same genes, which (even though it is not entirely based on the same individual sequences and the choice of outgroups is not identical) should be fully equivalent to the tree shown in Fig. S1.
(Note that I recovered Arremonidae sister to Emberiza, albeit with mixed support (BS = 85), while in the new study, Calcariidae are are consistently sister to Emberiza with BS = 100, in all trees, be them based on one or more gene(s).)

This new study uses sequences that I regard as obviously problematic, such Päckert et al.'s myoglobin sequence KP877878 (see my comments above) and the "Emberiza aureola" NC_022150 mitogenome, which is obviously wrong and mostly E. rutila (cox1 is rutila; cytb is rutila; 16s is rutila; nd2 is partly rutila (the 360 first bp or so), partly highly divergent (9-10% from both rutila and aureola; doesn't match anything else in GenBank closely)).
It is the position of Emberiza affinis that intrigues me

It is the position of Emberiza affinis that intrigues me
They used the cytb sequence of Päckert et al 2015 (here, see Fig. 4 in particular), and nothing else, hence the position was rather expected. Whether it is correct or not, is another issue. The signal in this sequence has always been surprising, but nothing else is available to confirm or infirm it.

Last edited:
Cai T, Wu G, Sun L, Zhang Y, Peng Z, Guo Y, Liu X, Pan T, Chang J, Sun Z, Zhang B. 2021. Biogeography and diversification of Old World buntings (Aves:
Emberizidae): radiation in open habitats. J. Avian Biol., e02672: 1-14. DOI: 10.1111/jav.02672

Full text here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351825272
No news on affinis then, other than its position as sister to Black-headed Bunting and the lot probably is wrong. The divergence times are interesting, certainly an argument for breaking up Emberiza into four neat genera, considering the first split is about the same age as Phaenicophilidae-Parulidae and almost as old as Cardinalidae-Thraupidae!

No news on affinis then, other than its position as sister to Black-headed Bunting and the lot probably is wrong. The divergence times are interesting, certainly an argument for breaking up Emberiza into four neat genera, considering the first split is about the same age as Phaenicophilidae-Parulidae and almost as old as Cardinalidae-Thraupidae!
Affinis is in the supplementary files

Emberiza spodocephala split

The IOC World Bird List has just posted the proposed split of monotypic Masked Bunting E. personata from Black-faced Bunting E. spodocephala.

We are looking for a copy of the following paper that may help us in our assessment. Do any of you have a copy you could provide to us?

Weissensteimer, M.H., Koblmüller, S. and Sefc, K.M. (2014). The Emberiza spodocephala subspecies complex: new insights into taxonomy and phylogeography. 26th International Ornithological Congress 2014, Tokyo, 18-24 Aug 2014.

Thank you in advance.

David

The IOC cites Päckert et al. 2015 for the split and that paper cites Weissensteiner, M. (2013): Morphological and genetical differences of two subspecies of the masked bunting Emberiza spodocephala in Far Eastern Russia. – Master thesis at the KarlFranzens University of Graz, Austria .
https://unipub.uni-graz.at/obvugrhs/download/pdf/232438?originalFilename=true .

Päckert et al. 2015
(PDF) Phylogenetic relationships of endemic bunting species (Aves, Passeriformes, Emberizidae, Emberiza koslowi ) from the eastern Qinghai-Tibet Plateau .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back