• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Angle Shades joins the guests for Christmas dinner (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
For years I have set my moth trap on Christmas Day and New Years day, in an attempt to catch a macro moth on either of those days, and every time I have failed, with just Light Brown Apple Moths on both days the best I could muster.

This year my interest in mothing has waned a bit, and I haven't trapped since June, and wasn't planning on doing tonight. So today we were just setting the table for Christmas dinner, and there it was, on the curtain, an Angle Shades, presumably emerged from hibernation. No doubt, like buses, they'll all now come at once...... maybe I should put the trap on tonight after all.

I put my trap out in the garden Christmas Eve as it was fairly mild, I also hadn't trapped since early November so had began to forget what a moth looked like.

Anyway,Santa brought me a Winter Moth !

Damian

I had an Angle shades at light on New Years Eve.

I don't believe they hibernate, but do appear indoors in houses that have Geraniums inside. One of the foodplants. Especially Geraniums brought in from outside for the winter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back