• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paridae, Remizidae, Aegithalidae (1 Viewer)

Päckert 2015

Päckert 2015. Vom Sinn und Unsinn einer reduktionistischen Biologie. On the sense and nonsense of a reductionist approach in biology. Vogelwarte 53(1): 51–58. [in German]
A recent German anti-Darwinist book publication cheekily challenges what its author, M. Beleites, denounces a today’s reductionist biological approach – which in his sense cross-the-board includes all kind of academic teaching and research in the field of biology and above all genetic analyses. The author quotes an ornithological article by Otto Kleinschmidt from 1921 as a core argument against the theory of descent. That classical example of a species quartet of four Eurasian tit species of genus Poecile once failed at establishing a reliable phylogenetic hypothesis using two morphological traits: crown colour and beak shape. This essay points to basic errors in reasoning and crucial mistakes of interpretation of the original Kleinschmidt article in the light of current state of knowledge and multidisciplinary analyses on tits (Paridae). Main pitfalls of the anti-Darwinist perspective are i) insufficient number and a lack of phylogenetic information of traits analysed, ii) a priori exclusion of possible topologies, iii) incomplete taxon sampling for pairwise comparisons, iv) fatal ignorance of relevant literature and distorting citation of Kleinschmidt’s original study.

Forthcoming...

Johansson, Ekman, Bowie, Halvarsson, Ohlson, Price & Ericson (in press). A complete multilocus species phylogeny of the tits and chickadees (Aves: Paridae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [SMNH]

The draft is still available on Researchgate, but I can't find the published article anywhere . . . anyone know if it's available online (without being bankrupted)? Or got a copy they could upload here?

So, anyway, semilarvatus is a type species of Penthornis, treated it as subgenus of Sittiparus... It's an arbitrary point of view.

As long as i don't go against the rules of the Coooode, nothing prevents me. (punish me)

#thuglife

Last edited:
Penthornis was introduced by Hellmayr in 1901 [OD], with Melaniparus semilarvatus Salvadori as its type by original designation; assuming there is no other generic name with this species as its type, using it for semilarvatus alone does not break any nomenclatural rule.
But whether this is a taxonomically sound treatment is an entirely other question. Eg., see the ND2 tree [here]: before you recognise Penthornis, you may well have to propose a new genus-group name for Sittiparus (varius) castaneoventris...

I'm unclear what type of punishment you would risk by going "against the rules of the Coooode" in your own personal treatment of this species. ;)

Last edited:
Sittiparus (varius) castaneoventris is not sister taxa to Sittiparus varius ?

C'est pour de rire XD

E.g. Listaptakow use Acanthoptila for many species of Turdoides species and keep Kupeornis, jboyd lump Kupeornis and Parophasma to conserve monophyly of the genus Turdoides, so everyone is free to use each or each genera... But you are the pro.

Last edited:
Sittiparus (varius) castaneoventris is not sister taxa to Sittiparus varius ?
Not if we believe what these data say; semilarvatus seems to be embedded in the Varied Tit complex. (Even if this is not true, semilarvatus does not, in any case, appear to be much more distinct than the various Varied Tits are from one another.)

Last edited:
"I'm unclear what type of punishment you would risk ..." They say :"For the wages of sin is spiritual death." Punishment enough. #thuglife! I laughed so hard and poured one out for you and your homies C.L. Brehm and G.M. Mathews.

Last edited:
This #thuglife because i tend not to follow some recommendation. I never want to do anything like the other, just see my suggestion on the thread concerning grebes to judge.

I've mitigating circumstances , I'm not scientist but taxonomic interrogation interested me.

A few of compassion toward a novice like myself.

Last edited:
Shao, Quan, Cai, Song, Qu, Lei. 2016. Evolution of body morphology and beak shape revealed by a morphometric analysis of 14 Paridae species. Frontiers Zool 13:30.
[full article]

Xuejuan Li, Liliang Lin, Aiming Cui, Jie Bai, Xiaoyang Wang, Chao Xin, Zhen Zhang, Chao Yang, Ruirui Gao, Yuan Huang, Fumin Lei. Taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationship of tits based on mitogenomes and nuclear segments. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 19 July 2016.

[abstract]

Penduline Tits

Barani-Beiranvand, H., Aliabadian, M., Irestedt, M., Qu, Y., Darvish, J., Szekely, T., Dijk, R. v. and Ericson, P. (2017), Phylogeny of Penduline Tits inferred from mitochondrial and microsatellite genotyping. J Avian Biol. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/jav.01163

Abstract:

Penduline Tits (Remiz spp) are renowned for their diverse mating and parenting strategies, and are a well-studied system by behavioural ecologists. However, the phylogenetic relationships and species delimitations within this genus are poorly understood. Here, we investigate phylogenetic relationships within the genus Remiz by examining the genetic variation in the mitochondrial cytochrome-b gene of 64 individuals and in ten autosomal microsatellite markers from 44 individuals. The taxon sampling includes individuals from all currently recognized species (R. pendulinus, R. macronyx, R. coronatus, and R. consobrinus) and most subspecies in the Palearctic region. We showed that R. coronatus and R. consobrinus are genetically well differentiated and constitute independent evolutionary lineages, separated from each other and from R. pendulinus/macronyx. However, we found no evidence for significant differentiation among R. pendulinus/macronyx individuals in mtDNA haplotypes and only marginal differences between R. pendulinus and R. macronyx in microsatellite markers. Hence, based on present data our recommendation is to treat R. pendulinus and R. macronyx as conspecific and R. coronatus and R. consobrinus as separate species.

Xuejuan Li, Liliang Lin, Aiming Cui, Jie Bai, Xiaoyang Wang, Chao Xin, Zhen Zhang, Chao Yang, Ruirui Gao, Yuan Huang, Fumin Lei. Taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationship of tits based on mitogenomes and nuclear segments. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 19 July 2016.

[abstract]

Xue-Juan Li, Li-Liang Lin, Ai-Ming Cui, Jie Bai, Xiao-Yang Wang, Chao Xin, Zhen Zhang, Chao Yang, Rui-Rui Gao, Yuan Huang, Fu-Min Lei. Data on taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationship of tits. Data in Brief, Volume 10, February 2017, Pages 390-397.

[link]

Poecile cincta

DeCicco, Shutler, Mockford. 2017. Morphological differences between Nearctic and eastern Palearctic Gray-headed Chickadees (Poecile cinctus). Wilson J Ornithol 129:171-175.
[abstract]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back