• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Hulne Park

Skelly said:
Good idea Stewart.

Haven't been north of the Durham border for ages.

Thinking of visiting Hulne Park at Alnwick for Hawfinch next weekend if I'm not too busy and then along to East Chev and Cresswell area.

Good luck with the thread.

B :)
Skelly,

Winters best for the Hawfinches at Hulne Park, it used to be me local petch for three years or so and I never saw them in the summer months. Excellent veiws can be had in the winter though in the trees and bushes by the gate house. Just walk up the track to the left and the fields to the right and keep your eyes peeled, theyu can be close and low down as well as in the tree tops

Gabba

Went along to 'that' Nightjar spot last night.

Had been out birding most of yesterday starting at Seaton Sluice, then onto the coastal pools around Cresswell , etc, then up at Harthope.

I headed home for a bite to eat around teatime, then headed back out to 'that' forest seeing as the weather was canny.

Typically, I was there way too early (8:30pm) but this allowed me a couple of hours to wander around the moors/forest.

The first thing I heard on opening the car door - midges - millions of them, so I slathered mesel in Jungle Formula and headed out for a potter.

I could hear a woodcock grunting on the forest floor somewhere, and a few LBJs (mainly Willow Warbler from what I got my bins on) in the trees but it was rather quiet other than that.

Apart from the spectacle of seeing loads of Mistle Thrush coming into roost.

I stopped counting at approx 100, as they poured (presumably off the moors?) into a section of trees on the edge of a clearing.

It was an impressive sight when they all went up at once and headed further into the forest - I'd estimate 2 or 3 hundred perhaps?

I also had nice views of a GS Woodpecker as it hopped onto a trunk as I was walking past.

Being plagued by midges and fearful that me Insect Repellant may have lost it's potency (being a few years old) I headed back to the car for another dose of Jungle Formula where I passed another birder who said he'd seen a Redstart but no sign of crosbill for for him or me I'm afraid.

Then, around 9:45 I heard the first Tawny. I guess there may have been 3 or 4 birds in the area I was in, judging from where the hooting was coming from unless it was the same bird moving around - I didn't see any tho.

|:(|

Then my first roding woodcook around 10pm (the first of perhaps 4 or 5). What a strange sight that is - this dumpy bird flying slowly overhead grunting like a pig.....and whats that high-pitched whistling at the end of each series of grunts all about?

Then, almost exactly on queue at 10:15 the first churring kicked in. One distantly, then another behind me then one close (although high up) in the trees in front. Difficult to tell how many in the area but I reckon there was churing coming from maybe half a dozen birds spots?

I hung around 'til 11pm by which time none had shown themselves and a combination of it being quite dark (due to the cloud cover and no moon which was behind the trees/cloud) and the fact I was starting to get tired (presumably from having me eyes stuck thru bins for most of the day) and I decided to give up the ghost and starting walking along the track back to the car.

And then I thought ''nah - I'm here so may as well hang on a bit longer'' so I stood on the track en route back to the car for a few minutes.

Not more than 5 minutes later, I nearly cacked mesel as this flapping sound came from right behind me and I whizzed around and there was a nightjar almost in my face, before it banked away.

I twisted around and watched it as it flew away from me along the forest track.

Now, I don't have much experience of Nightjar but that's the 2nd time one's almost crashed into me this year.

In Norfolk a few weeks back I was watching a couple flying away from me before one decided to turn around and headed straight at me.

I thought ''nah, it must have seen me'' but it kept coming until at the last minute it banked away over my head - perhaps less then 6 feet away.

This one last night was even closer - I could hear it's wings beating as it swerved around me.

Oh, and I needed a clean pair of underpants as well - being alone in a forest and having something creep up behind you has a tendancy to create a mess in your pants, I tend to find??

;)

And that was that - by now, in dire need of my bed and so I headed for the car and home.

All in all, an enjoyable couple of hours spent but I think I may have to make a return visit - hopefully try to combine a clear sky with a full moon for better visibility perhaps?

Alan

Skelly said:
Bittern reported on Birdguides at East Chevington this morning.

(o)<

A Bittern was being regularly reported from the southern edge of the reedbeds on the South pool last year.

These reports coincided with the Squacco Heron being present and I suspect the increase in numbers birding the area can be attributed to the Bittern being heard/seen more regularly.

Nice to know they're there tho isn't it?

All we need now is Bearded Tit to drop in and this time stay put, rather than paying us a passing visit.

Which reminds me - I was at East Chevington yesterday where there was a Reed Warbler singing (and seen flitting about) in the reedbeds in front of the new hide.

Reed Warbler reported from the reedbeds in front of the new hide at East Chevington yesterday also.

Alan

No sign of the Bittern at East Chevington today since around 6 this morning. Marsh Harrier showed well but distant also winter plummaged Knot and Reed Warbler showing in front of screen, Whooper Swan and Scaup present and a cpl of Little Gulls..

Alan G said:
A Bittern was being regularly reported from the southern edge of the reedbeds on the South pool last year.

These reports coincided with the Squacco Heron being present and I suspect the increase in numbers birding the area can be attributed to the Bittern being heard/seen more regularly.

Alan

Not in this case. The Squacco was found by the same person who reported the bittern today. I don't think anyone's actually heard a bittern there yet.

Had a few hours walk round Gosforth Park today.....loads of Jay activity all over the reserve.Plenty of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaff singing, also noted adult and juv Whitethroats in the willow carr adjacent to the lake,and a flock of Long Tailed Tits along the North side of the lake.
Had great close up views of 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers just yards away, and close up views of Roe Deer and Red Squirrel.I`ve yet to get a key for the hides so wasn`t able to view the lakes/reedbeds much,although Reed Warblers were heard, but not seen.Noticed in the logbook that a Marsh Harrier had been seen a few times up to around mid-June.Also recent sightings of Little Ringed Plover.Will be back there a few times next week once I get a hide key sorted.

Mark

Arcot Hall/pond today: it was Warbler Central!

Chiffchaff (many)
Willow warbler (many)
Common whitethroat (many)
Sedge warbler (2 seen, more heard)
Grasshopper warbler (1 at the pond: I heard it reeling for ages, but only got the briefest of views before being chased off its perch by a sedge warbler)
Blackcap (many heard, 1 seen)
Garden warbler (heard)...

and the piece de resistance, a reed warbler at Arcot pond, a lifer for me.

I heard it singing first, and thought "that don't sound quite right for sedge. I wonder..."

Sure enough, after about 10 minutes of scanning the area of reeds the song was coming from (north east corner of the pond), up pops the Guilty Party.

I had an excellent opportunity to have a good look, although the bird only perched in view for a few tens of seconds before flying off in the general direction of Big Waters.

I was so wrapped up in taking him in through the bins that I plumb forgot I had my camera round my neck!

;)

Added for clarity:
Although my report to BG said "Heard singing at north east corner of pond, briefly seen before flying off south west", for some reason they've only put "singing at northeast corner of ponds".So just for the sake of accuracy, It was seen, despite what BG says!

Hmph!

;)

Last edited:
Yo all, Osprey flew over house (So Tyne just east of Haltwhistle) upriver headed west at 19.50hrs tonight. Sitting outside when I heard racket from 20+ Oystercatchers and it appeared from over riverside tree's, height 15-20 metres up over the village mobbed by dozens of hirundines.

Even as little as 5 years ago this would have been a major event, speaks volumes for protection schemes and increase in breeding birds.

Made my day (Cumbria birders may be lucky tonight/tomorrow?)

Stewart

|:d| |:d| |:d|

Out of the county but may be of interest to some, from Cumbrian Bird Forum;-

Pacific golden plover found by ****** today at port carlisle from the
caravan park layby

Reckon theyv'e nicked your bird guys?/

Stewart

PS I edited finders name out.

Hi Mark,

I've noticed that sometimes they tend to be a bit unpredictable in how they display what you report to them.

Not to worry...

Hi Stewart,

nice "garden" bird, mate!

;)

Hi Stewart,

nice "garden" bird, mate!

;)[/QUOTE]

Its becoming yearly of late keith and sometimes several sightings.

Stewart

I've seen one or two ospreys up on the Tyne in that neck of the woods myself over the years, Stewart - I never tire of seeing them.

Stewart J. said:
Out of the county but may be of interest to some, from Cumbrian Bird Forum;-

Pacific golden plover found by ****** today at port carlisle from the
caravan park layby

Reckon theyv'e nicked your bird guys?/

Stewart

PS I edited finders name out.

I've just had a look at the pics on birdguides. It's a different bird, with more black on the breast than the Newbiggin one.

Hauxley nature reserve today,looking great as as the wildflowers are in bloom and a few butterflies were showing, good view of a stoat on the way to the Tern hide.

The ringing group were out and about doing the constant effort site and visitors are presented with there finds and always warmly greeted.

As ever i enjoyed listening to the crack from these very experienced guys who somehow always leave me in awe of their observations.

Birds seen include Common, Artic ,and Roseate, terns plenty common waders including a very small pale curlew that stood out among its normal sized mates.

GS woodpecker seen over the pond a couple of times Widgeon, Reed warbler,, and a Grey heron that was simply constantly bombarded by BH gulls it dont have to be rare to enjoyed.

At Cresswell many little gulls could be easily seen from the road.

ST Marys Island was quite. but seawatching had many common species moving, only a couple of Sarnie terns on the rocks but soon im hoping for record numbers of Rosies.

The Beehive flash continues to look superb and has held Garganey, Little Stint, Wood, and Green sand, this year with a good supporting cast BLK Tailed Godwit there today, one to watch.

Regards Brian.

On the Beehive flash today near Earsdon There are 21 Black Tailed Godwits in Summer Plummage also a cracking summer plummaged Ruff..a cpl of poor photos of them

Piccies

Aren't godwits such a lovely bird - absolutely my favourite at this time of year. And never seen a ruff with a ruff - except at a park in Norfolk with a collection of 'wild' birds.

Smashing photos

Sandra
:cat:

Gosforth Park this morning til 2pm.Saw the following..

Great tit
Long Tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Chaffinch
Blackcap
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Reed Warbler
Reed Bunting
Grey Heron
Coot
Moorhen
Mallard
Common Tern with young.
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Kestrel (making a right racket in trees overhead)
Jay
Woodpigeon
Heard Sedge warbler,Garden Warbler and Grasshopper warbler but no sightings.

Also saw male and female Roe Deer, Red squirrel and Bank Voles.Found remains of a very recent Fox kill on a male Blackbird...chewed feathers, saliva and very fresh fox droppings.
Sighting of a Red Kite flying over lake this morning just before I arrived (typical!!!)......back there tomorrow though so fingers crossed it comes back..

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back