• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote in December (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Hi

I've got some leave to use up and flights to Lanzarote are looking like good value. I've not been before so I have a few questions. I've done virtually zero research so far and haven't quite decided to go yet - only started thinking about it this morning.

1. I'll effectively have three full days (arrive Monday late afternoon, depart very early on Friday). What areas might be the best to stay in? I'll have a rental car so don't mind staying in several locations if appropriate.
2. Are there any reasonable hotels close to the airport? The flight I'm looking at leaves at 07:10 which means I'll have to drop the car off the night before.
3. Anywhere decent for cetacean spotting?
4. Presumably it will be worth paying extra to include a telescope and tripod in my luggage.
5. Are there any on-line resources with up to date sightings info - websites/Twitter if possible, not Facebook?

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Hi

I've got some leave to use up and flights to Lanzarote are looking like good value. I've not been before so I have a few questions. I've done virtually zero research so far and haven't quite decided to go yet - only started thinking about it this morning.

1. I'll effectively have three full days (arrive Monday late afternoon, depart very early on Friday). What areas might be the best to stay in? I'll have a rental car so don't mind staying in several locations if appropriate.
2. Are there any reasonable hotels close to the airport? The flight I'm looking at leaves at 07:10 which means I'll have to drop the car off the night before.
3. Anywhere decent for cetacean spotting?
4. Presumably it will be worth paying extra to include a telescope and tripod in my luggage.
5. Are there any on-line resources with up to date sightings info - websites/Twitter if possible, not Facebook?

Cheers

Chris
Hi
I've put a report of our trip in November in the Vacation Forum on the birdforum website. it's currently a few reports down the list.Wasn't going out my way to find any specialities- just a bit of walking and birdwatching along the way.
The Salinas De Janubio always worth a visit and it's close to Yaiza which I found to be good for Barbary falcon, Stone Curlew, Berthelot's Pipit, Great Grey Shrike and Spectacled Warbler
Took a tripod and scope. Our luggage limit was 15kg[ hold] and 6kg [ hand luggage]. Comfortably within weight limit.

Last edited:
Thanks Pratincol. I'd already spotted (and read) your trip report.

I've checked and I don't need an airport hotel (different rental company).

Last edited:
Thanks Pratincol. I'd already spotted (and read) your trip report.

I've checked and I don't need an airport hotel (different rental company).

It probably doesn't matter where you stay, Lanzarote is so small you should be able to get from A to B fairly easily. The roads are generally fairly good.
A birdwatcher I spoke to recommended the Sou or Soo area[not sure how you spell it] for the Lanzarote specialities. I think it's in the north west.
Arrecife, the capital is a pleasant enough place with some hotels. There's a surprising number and variety of waders on the lagoon and sea front area when the tide's out.
Cheers.

Last edited:
In May, rather than December:
- Playa Blanca (tracks behind cement works) - Southern Grey Shrike, Lesser Short-toed Lark, Berthelot's Pipit, Spanish Sparrow & Houbara Bustard;
- Teguise Plain - Stone Curlew, Cream-coloured Courser & Houbara Bustard - best area at start of track east off the LZ-401 between Munique & Soo;
- agree with pratincol that Salinas de Janubio may be worth a visit.

I've seen kentish plover on the north end of costa teguise beach in December. Look out for the local blue tit in Haria too (area round Manrique's house is good) - smart bird.
Paul

I've seen houbara bustard, cc courser, st lark and stone curlew off tracks off the LZ34 heading over to LZ30 . You can get good views of cattle egrets on chairs waiting for snacks outside some of the costa teguise cafes too! Cicar is a good hire company in lanzarote , they don't care about little bumps.
Paul

Unfortunately for you most of the bird news is on two Facebook groups. Both Tias and Teguise golf courses are worth a visit - OBP at the latter earlier in the week.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. My partner uses Facebook so I'll ask her to have a look and keep me posted.

Ochre-breasted Pipit eh? 1st for Western Palearctic? ;-)

I've booked the flights including hold luggage so I can take a scope and tripod. Still cheap. Might even pay for an aisle seat :) I'll have all of Tuesday 11th - Thursday 13th for birding.

I'll rent a car so I can stay pretty much anywhere on the island, which probably means more than on location. A few supplementary questions:

1. Where might be good places for a bit of sea-watching? I'm guessing any headlands. Are there any particularly easy for access? I don't mind walking a bit but I'm mindful of the risk of exposure to sun etc. so somewhere I can drive close to might be ideal.
2. I'm thinking of staying in San Bartolome for two nights, as it's sort of central and seems close to a few areas of interest. Does staying in Orzola make sense? Close to some headlands and I guess I could take a ferry ride.
3. I've had a look at accommodation in the La Hoya/Yaiza area and it's coming out fairly pricey. I'm not keen to pay £100 a night when it's just me. Any suggestions for places to stay good for birders? In a sense it's irrelevant. I tend to be an early riser and I'm guessing that I won't be staying up late, so I'll probably be out and about before sunrise, but it's always nice to stay somewhere where birds are.

I've booked the flights including hold luggage so I can take a scope and tripod. Still cheap. Might even pay for an aisle seat :) I'll have all of Tuesday 11th - Thursday 13th for birding.

I'll rent a car so I can stay pretty much anywhere on the island, which probably means more than on location. A few supplementary questions:

1. Where might be good places for a bit of sea-watching? I'm guessing any headlands. Are there any particularly easy for access? I don't mind walking a bit but I'm mindful of the risk of exposure to sun etc. so somewhere I can drive close to might be ideal.
2. I'm thinking of staying in San Bartolome for two nights, as it's sort of central and seems close to a few areas of interest. Does staying in Orzola make sense? Close to some headlands and I guess I could take a ferry ride.
3. I've had a look at accommodation in the La Hoya/Yaiza area and it's coming out fairly pricey. I'm not keen to pay £100 a night when it's just me. Any suggestions for places to stay good for birders? In a sense it's irrelevant. I tend to be an early riser and I'm guessing that I won't be staying up late, so I'll probably be out and about before sunrise, but it's always nice to stay somewhere where birds are.

Hi
I found the lighthouse at Playa Blanca to be the best sea watching spot.
Although there's not too much happening in December, any birds going north or south on the west coast, pass here or they are funnelled through the straits between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. a largish flock of Cory's spent most days here. I've seen Great Skua off there as well.
You can usually find a sheltered rock just below the lighthouse looking out west.
It's not the most glamorous place in the world ,though.The area is scruffy with advancing half built villas.
You can park somewhere near the Natura Palace hotel on the main road and walk from there- its not far.
The car park on the on the west coast road, just north east of the Salinas De Janubio is a good raised sea watching area. You can combine a bit of seawatching with a look around the nearby Salinas. Head towards El Golfo with the Salinas on your left[ if travelling from Playa Blanca] and you'll see turn off to your left to park near the beach.

Last edited:
Costa Teguise is as nice as anywhere, decent restaurants and handy for the road system. Teguise golf course is nearby.The north is greener with a better variety of passerines I think. I wouldn't worry about multiple locations - stay in one place and drive.
Paul

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far. I'll definitely be following up on lots of it.

One more question. I'm due to arrive at 16:00 on Ryanair and sunset is just before 18:00. If I get lucky and pick up the rental car quickly I might have 30 minutes of daylight left before heading to my hotel near San Bartolme. Any suggestions for somewhere close-ish to the airport for a quick birding session?

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far. I'll definitely be following up on lots of it.

One more question. I'm due to arrive at 16:00 on Ryanair and sunset is just before 18:00. If I get lucky and pick up the rental car quickly I might have 30 minutes of daylight left before heading to my hotel near San Bartolme. Any suggestions for somewhere close-ish to the airport for a quick birding session?

The seafront at Arrrecife always holds a nice collection of waders

Arrecife it is, then. Cheers.

Yes, there were a fair few waders there.
On a trip in March last year I noted.'
'We arrived at Arrecife early and the tide was low. The exposed banks of the Charco de San Gines Lagoon were attracting 14 Ruddy Turnstone, a Common Sandpiper and one Curlew. We walked out to Castillo de San Gabriel where there were more Ruddy Turnstone, six Sanderling, six Kentish Plover, four Ringed Plover, two Dunlin, two Whimbrel and one Little Egret.'

When the tide was in the birds in the lagoon had gone. The lagoon is just north of the Castillo de San Gabriel. and is crossed by a blue bridge.

Last edited:
Well I feel that I did better than I deserved. Picking up the car was fast and efficient but I sort of dithered around Arrecife before finding somewhere to park that I thought might be near the area described by Pratincol. As it turned out, it was, but when I got there, there was hardly any mud. For a while I thought I might only manage 4 species for the day but I walked out to the edge of the sea and ended up with 2 year ticks (Spanish Sparrow and Trumpeter Finch, a small flock of which were close to the shopping centre at the edge of the marina, on what could be described as waste ground to the right of the road (near the three 'swans') and better still, an actual lifer, my 2nd this year,. Canarian Plain Swift, a small flock of which appeared by the UGT building just south of the marina on the dot of sunset.

The tide was on the turn and as it started to darken I found a small selection of waders.

14 species for the day. I'm happy with that.

Not much in the way of birds at Punta Pechiguera (Playa Blanca lighthouse) but two, possibly three Fin Whales going past made bringing the scope worthwhile. Salinas del Janubio not bad but as I returned to the car I met a bunch of visitors including a couple of birders with binoculars. I offered to walk back with them so they could use the scope and karma kicked in instantly in the form of two Barbary Falcons. Lifer for two of us.

Munique/Soo next.

On reflection, the blow was wrong for Fin Whale. They must have been either Bryde's or Sei. My id skills aren't good enough to split them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back