• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Phoebe's range in California (1 Viewer)

Cheebugger79

Hi, can anyone expound upon the typical range and habitat of the black phoebe? I have one single sweet little phoebe who is a regular in my backyard along with the finches, juncos, sparrows and doves. I live right in the middle of LA and about 7 miles from the coast. I read that phoebes require a body of water but this sweetie is here daily and has been for some time. I wonder why? Anyone know? Have never seen a mate either.

Maybe a young bird that has been forced off better habitat by territorial adults. It may only be around for the winter, and move to better habitat to find a vacant breeding territory in spring.

Maybe a young bird that has been forced off better habitat by territorial adults. It may only be around for the winter, and move to better habitat to find a vacant breeding territory in spring.

That's a sad thought. However, this black phoebe is here year round! I also read that they eat insects mid air- very cool - but I observe him or her scavenging on the ground pretty often (seed and peanuts). Just an odd bird I guess :)

My Sibley's says "uncommon along streams and ponds with marshy vegetation and overhanging trees".
I can tell you that in SoCal they are common and often found no where near water.
I see them virtually everywhere I go.

In CA, at least from Tijuana up to about San Francisco, they seem to have adapted quite well to urban gardens. I don't know about other parts of the US but in most of their range from Mexico to N Argentina they remain a riparian / wetland bird that, while not rare, is certainly less frequently seen than in suburban coastal CA.

Agree with Kevin, common in much of California and Arizona in many habitats, often dry and semi-arid areas not near water, including suburban, etc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back