• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Circa 90 seconds of Goshawk under a fairly sustained Corvid aerial assault. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Like most people that have seen Goshawk...my views have been ''splinter-ingly'' brief, and mostly in bad light (silhouettes). Therefore nothing could have prepared me for witnessing this spectacle (Eastern England) in ''open countryside''. I believe this film clip might just throw some light on structure, size and movement relative to corvids, I learnt an awful lot from this clip, particularly with any ''possible'' sightings in the future that might be forthcoming, and hope that others might too.

Cheers
https://youtu.be/r8Z6CxU0MNk

I'll take your word that it's a Gos Ken, fairly big but I see no plumage details in the vid and would have no chance at ageing it?

Last edited:
I'll take your word that it's a Gos Ken, fairly big but I see no plumage details in the vid and would have no chance at ageing it?

If you recall the images I posted in Q&A last week andy, it’s the same immature bird.

Cheers

Hi Ken,

Like most people that have seen Goshawk...my views have been ''splinter-ingly'' brief, and mostly in bad light (silhouettes). Therefore nothing could have prepared me for witnessing this spectacle (Eastern England) in ''open countryside''.

Awesome, thanks a lot for sharing!

In Hamburg, you can sometimes witness Goshawks being mobbed in completely urban surroundings.

(German Goshawks have discovered urban areas make great habitats: No human hunters, and plenty of pigeons to feed on.)

Once, I even saw one hunting pigeons right in front of my balcony. As he was noisily chased by a host of crows and jackdaws, the pigeons had an easy time getting away. One dived off the roofttop and let itself fall like a stone on the opposite side of the house to break the line of sight to the Goshawk ... very smart move, not at all panicky. I was impressed :)

Regards,

Henning

In Hamburg, you can sometimes witness Goshawks being mobbed in completely urban surroundings.

(German Goshawks have discovered urban areas make great habitats: No human hunters, and plenty of pigeons to feed on.)

Once, I even saw one hunting pigeons right in front of my balcony. As he was noisily chased by a host of crows and jackdaws, the pigeons had an easy time getting away. One dived off the roofttop and let itself fall like a stone on the opposite side of the house to break the line of sight to the Goshawk ... very smart move, not at all panicky. I was impressed :) Regards, Henning

In the 1990s in Cottbus, Goshawks would patrol the city streets below my 7th-floor hotel room! I've found them in quite small parks in towns in Brandenburg.
MJB

Hi Ken,

Awesome, thanks a lot for sharing!

Once, I even saw one hunting pigeons right in front of my balcony. As he was noisily chased by a host of crows and jackdaws, the pigeons had an easy time getting away. One dived off the roofttop and let itself fall like a stone on the opposite side of the house to break the line of sight to the Goshawk ... very smart move, not at all panicky. I was impressed :)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks Henning,

My encounter on this occasion was truly memorable, as there is another clip c25 seconds in duration which I’m in the throes of preparing, this although shorter in length, is a “lot closer”. For me it was an outstanding introduction to an amazing species, and one that I will always treasure, will post later. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back