• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie help needed with camera settings! (1 Viewer)

MV Owner

Dear All,

I am a newbie and need some help!

After some extremely helpful advice on another birdforum board I have purchased a Opticron MM4 60 45 degree and SDL V2 zoom with tripod

I have a Nikon 1 J5 camera with Opticron Nikon 1 camera mount. I have removed the lens from the Nikon J5 and attached the camera to the SDL V2 using the Opticron mounting system.

The camera comes up with a fault stating that a lens is required in every camera mode except Manual. So I have switched the camera mode to Manual. I can then view a perfectly beautiful picture on the camera digital viewfinder but when a photo is taken it comes out as a black or very dark indeed image.

I would appreciate guidance on where I maybe going wrong!

Kind Regards

MV Owner

Not enough light.....although a 60 might seem okay, for good digiscoping you need light for light transmission is lost going from the scope to the lens of the camera. On top of that, the scope itself might not have great light transmission. The Eyepiece is a wonderful eyepiece, but that scope is pretty small.

Make sure you digiscope at the lower end of the zoom...20 or 18 or whatever it is and that might help.

Many thanks for your help there, it turned out I needed to adjust the ISO number and the shutter speed on the camera. Light through the scope or eyepiece didnt seem to be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back