• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of Ducks please (1 Viewer)

JohnZ

Is the first one a Tufted Duck ? I have no idea of the second but think that the third and fourth are Widgeon and Gadwall.
How am I doing ?

Attachments

• IMG_6882-copy.jpg
    IMG_6882-copy.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_6889-copy.jpg
    IMG_6889-copy.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6895-copy.jpg
    IMG_6895-copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6918-copy.jpg
    IMG_6918-copy.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 133
The 2nd isn't a female tuftie, but a 1st winter male. Female is much browner than this + dusky white flanks are typical of imm. male.

aeshna5 said:
The 2nd isn't a female tuftie, but a 1st winter male. Female is much browner than this + dusky white flanks are typical of imm. male.

Not sure about that, myself - the eye's gold and the nail is very clear at the tip of the bill. Also the breast of the bird is darker than what you'd get in a young bird and there's not trace of buff feathers at the bill-base.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back