• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

Its a cold February morning here in Cheshire but despite this there are signs of spring on my morning walk. A Mistle Thrush singing its heart out until disturbed by a nearby pair. Several Chaffinches have started singing also. Neither is particularly early but still welcome!

CB

Yesterday, I heard my first Blackbird of the year trying to squeeze out a song in the SW wind - nothing I realise, compared to the sex crazed blackies in other parts of the UK :eek!: !

I recorded my earliest ever full Blackbird song in of all places, Seven Dials in the heart of London on February 2nd 1984.

I see a Swallow was reported from Sussex this morning, rather early assuming it's not a mis-ID'd Sand Martin, which would also be a tad early for that species?

I saw a Chiffchaff feeding yesterday, but it's likely to have been one that over-wintered here. Also heard a Song Thrush. There was a bit of birdsong as I left the house at first light to go to work this morning.

I had my first Blackbird singing on January 18th :eek!: And a Song Thrush followed a couple of days after that...and has continued ever since in the sycamore out back :t: Loads more song from Great & Blue Tits and Chaffinch too.

Today I saw my first Hazel flowers ~ the tiny red female ones next to the catkins. And also a few grey pussy willow buds too :t:

Must admit it's been pretty mild up here in Northumberland with barely any of the wind and rain that the rest of the country has been getting.

Here in South TX, the Purple Martins have returned and I've heard White-eyed Vireos singing their hearts out. Attwater's Prairie-chickens have begun actively "booming" or lekking. Sparrows are still not singing, but I've noticed them being much less discreet.

Happy birding,
Justin

Here in South TX, the Purple Martins have returned and I've heard White-eyed Vireos singing their hearts out. Attwater's Prairie-chickens have begun actively "booming" or lekking. Sparrows are still not singing, but I've noticed them being much less discreet.

Wow. Hope those Martins aren't hoping to come up here any time soon, they'll be bitterly disappointied ... not much hope of any insect prey, unless they can adapt to picking up snow fleas. |;|

First White-winged Dove calling in the neighborhood, first Turkey Vulture soaring over town this afternoon. Saw several Broad-billed Hummingbirds on campus today.

Frog spawn in both our garden ponds this morning...the only problem is that one pond is an old salad tray from a fridge and the other is a small bucket, both full of water from the last 3 months of rain.

First White-winged Dove calling in the neighborhood, first Turkey Vulture soaring over town this afternoon. Saw several Broad-billed Hummingbirds on campus today.
Hmmm ... I can see why so many people want to retire to Arizona [he says, shivering in the dark...].

Last edited:
Frog spawn in both our garden ponds this morning...the only problem is that one pond is an old salad tray from a fridge and the other is a small bucket, both full of water from the last 3 months of rain.
The frog that laid that spawn must have got caught short
from more suitable habitat to lay surely, saying that we have frogs in the summer
its hard to know where they spawn from some unseen watering hole perhaps.
we have had some decent sized adults in the recent past we have a under
ground stream in the back garden most likely those frogs know about it too
use to be quite marshy i hear before property was build on top its nice to
have the frogs anyway never see any toads thou lots where we lived
before just up the road back in the 70,s...;)

Hi Dan. Certainly looked like one. Others came to the same conclusion before me in the hide as well.

Rich

Edit. I see what you mean about those dates. Am happy to stand corrected.

Not meaning to call you out, but included the link as thought I'd better double check and interesting enough to include ...

The odd WW gets reported overwintering (but still a major rarity), I'd guess if the id was indeed confirmed (primary projection etc), it must be more likely to be a wintering bird than a genuine sub-saharan migrant?

On the other score, saw a robin collecting nesting material two days ago too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back