• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jackdaws Nissan (1 Viewer)

Hi
I've recently started working next to the Nissan plant in Sunderland.
Every evening around 5pm just as it's getting dark when I'm finishing work, whole flocks of Jackdaws, numbers must run into thousands pass overhead heading north towards the main car plant.
What's happening here would they be roosting at night on or around the plant to stay warm?
It's a great spectacle any info on this would be greatly appreciated by this very inexperienced birder!

Hi
I've recently started working next to the Nissan plant in Sunderland.
Every evening around 5pm just as it's getting dark when I'm finishing work, whole flocks of Jackdaws, numbers must run into thousands pass overhead heading north towards the main car plant.
What's happening here would they be roosting at night on or around the plant to stay warm?
It's a great spectacle any info on this would be greatly appreciated by this very inexperienced birder!

Sometimes corvids gather at a pre-roost site and then fly to their actual communal roost. I am thinking of jackdaws and rooks sometimes gathering on the roof of a nursing home here in Peel before flying off to roost. Even more spectacularly, when I was last in Segovia, Spain the red-billed choughs gathered at the Cathedral before flying off to "satellite" roosts in the city.

There again, the jackdaws may find your Nissan plant a safe place to roost.

Welcome to the forum.

I believe there's a large roost of Jackdaws in a nearby plantation (Peppy plantation I think?) also large numbers of Woodpigeons flight back each evening to roost there.

Thanks for your replies fellas it's much appreciated.
They really are in huge numbers they take quite a while to pass overhead, normally though in several different flocks.

I live very close to the Nissan plant, they come over every evening, impressive site. Have been for years, Mrs walks the dog around there and she said it's looks as though they are landing on the roof. Not sure though.

We have a flock of Jackdaws in the village that I often watch from the back door. If you watch closely you realise that rather than being a flock of individuals, you can actually make out that it is in fact a flock of pairs (with a very few singletons thrown in).

James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back