• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (3 Viewers)

I don't know, we can't compete with Steve - first he has an army of spotters posted along the coast to tip him off when birds are coming his way, now he's got a moth trap that picks up owl calls :-C

Not guilty ! I'll admit to the moth trap but not the coastal spotters - they wouldn't do much good in Leicestershire.

Steve

Not guilty ! I'll admit to the moth trap but not the coastal spotters - they wouldn't do much good in Leicestershire.

Steve

Oops, sorry Steve, getting you mixed up with Mark perched on his shed roof looking at a tiny bit of the North Sea;)
As for Little Egrets over Barnsley H, all I ever saw there when I was a kid were soot-covered sparrows!

Black grouse come in our garden very occasionally, adders as well, beat that.

I've only ever seen Black Grouse twice....in a very long time! (won't ever be in the garden though), however.....I suspect eclipsing your challenge might be achieved by quite a few of the "Garden" BF members.....;)

I've only ever seen Black Grouse twice....in a very long time! (won't ever be in the garden though), however.....I suspect eclipsing your challenge might be achieved by quite a few of the "Garden" BF members.....;)

Indeed, I match with a Black Grouse (some years ago though) and raise with Hazel Grouse (wander through time to time)

I've had just the two game birds!....(excluding Com.Snipe and Woodcock), and they were both ''heards'' only (on one occasion for each), flyover Quail calling thrice during May cMidnight, and a Cock Pheasant, again called several times in Bramble scrub behind garden.

Plenty of duck moving at the moment, including 100's of Teal and amongst these I picked up a couple of year birds.

96. Pintail
97. Shelduck

When we lived on the Eden they were commonplace but 4 goosanders flying over at breakfast time yesterday was a considerable surprise.

Rob

Almost annual, but very nice nonetheless - a tame Red-breasted Flycatcher around my feeding station these last days (not actually using it it has to be said).
Otherwise, pretty quiet - last White Stork two weeks ago, but Cranes still lingering, plus one of the young Marsh Harriers that fledged some time back still sitting around.

103. Red-breasted Flycatcher

Well, I've finally drawn level with my 2017 total, with three new additions over the last couple of weeks.

75. Cape May Warbler
76. Philidelphia Vireo (first one I've had in the county, let alone the garden - takes me to 102 for the garden overall)
and 77. Herring Gull

My 2016 total was 86, so still plenty of room for additions, although some of those will have to be in the next couple of weeks before they disappear down south for another year!

Added Dunnock, Nutcracker and Tawny Owl - but also released I have miscounted somewhere or left one species out - with today's addition, I reach 107.

105. Tawny Owl
106. Dunnock
107. Nutcracker

Red-breasted Flycatcher still present. Two young male Moose too, they were nice.

After a long spell with no new additions for the year, September has brought 3 new species for the year and one "a lifer" for the garden - a nice crispy and gorgeous Sedge Warbler (I'm living here now for nearly 4 years).

57. Sedge Warbler (03.09.2018)
58. Iberian Chiffchaff (05.09.2018)
59. Common Redstart (08.09.2018)

A Jay this morning that perched on an adjacent aerial but eluded my camera became my 52nd species of the year.

(A few things moving this morning - a couple of Jays and Meadow Pipits - as I left home for work.)

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back