• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

Rob
I am pretty sure these are the culprits of your little black bird with a yellow biil

Baby Water Rails around 1-2 weeks old

Do they fit the Bill?:t:

Richard

Attachments

• water rail chicks.jpg
    water rail chicks.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 67
Rob
I am pretty sure these are the culprits of your little black bird with a yellow biil

Baby Water Rails around 1-2 weeks old

Do they fit the Bill?:t:

Richard

Thanks for the suggestion. The bird I saw was older and bigger-billed and diving. I've seen Water Rail chicks at Upton Warren earlier this spring and they seem less 'substantial' than the bird I saw yesterday.

Water levels have risen on JWs after the recent rain but the two scrapes are still OK, however the only waders seen were the Avocet family, 4 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper and 6 Common Sandpiper.
There were 3 pairs of Common Tern nesting on Dosthill NR and it looks as though they have all been successful. On the north pit was a adult and young Little Grebe, a Yellow Wagtail was on JWs.
A Pied Flycatcher was reported by the canal per Dave Corfield which would be the 158 species of the year. July ended on 94 species.

A nice selection of birds today including 3 Little Egret, 1 Great White Egret on NP, 2 or 3 Egyptian Geese, 1 Garganey, 1 Peregrine, 1 Cetti's Warbler singing.
Also reported per the RSPB Twitter feed 10 species of warbler including Gropper, Redstart and Marsh Tit.

59 species of birds seen today including 1 Great White Egret, 5 Egyptian Geese, 1 juv. Marsh Harrier, 1 Hobby, 1 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin and 1 Ruff.
August finished on 107.

Reserve looking in good shape, and hopefully shouldn't become as muddy in places over the winter now the new paths have been laid. Lovely walk this morning, but bloody cold.

Whooper Swan x 2, north end of Jubilee but flew off before 10am after being repeatedly harassed by BHGs.
Pintail x 2
Plenty of other ducks around - Gadwall, Teal and Wigeon noticeably numerous, but very few Pochard.
More Cormorants than I can ever remember seeing at Middleton before, plenty of Grey Herons and Little Egrets, but no sign of the record 6 Great White Egrets recorded roosting this week.
Cetti's Warbler calling in three different spots.
Several substantial roving Tit flocks. Picked up a Treecreeper in one of these.

Biggest surprise was the continuing presence of at least two Sedge Warblers, in the reed beds at the southern end of Fishers Mill. I notice they were recorded in the hide logbook earlier in the week.

49 species were seen today, highlights being 1 Gt White Egret, 1 Shelduck, 1 Pintail, 5 Goldeneye, circa 100 Golden Plover, 1 Ruff, 2 Snipe, 2 Meadow Pipit, 3 Cetti's Warbler and 1 Chiffchaff.

A red head Smew was on FMP today, the 86th species for 2019. Also noted were 4 Snipe on Hall Lake, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Stonechat, 8 Fieldfare and 3 Yellowhammer.
Yesterday 3 Oystercatcher were on Dosthill waterski pit and 3 Golden Plover on JWs.
Work is progressing well on the north pit improvements.
I asked the warden Katie Thorpe if the now overgrown island on Dosthill nature reserve would be cleared this winter but she said probably not as they have other priorities, a pity as it's one of the few sites on the reserve where terns and Med Gulls have bred without being flooded out.

Last edited:
The Smew was reported as still on FMP, There are now 5 Oystercatchers on waterski pit. 87 species for the year with Jack Snipe reported recently.

Redhead Smew still FMP, 8 Snipe, 1 Mipit, 2 Grey Wagtail, 3 Stonechat and Sparrowhawk (88). Work parties on JWs and FMP reedbed but didn't see any Bitterns flushed.

51 species of birds seen this afternoon in icy conditions highlights being 1 Great White Egret, 2 Goosander, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe, 12 Redwing, 1 Treecreeper and 12 Siskin.
93 species were seen in January best being Bittern, Whooper Swan, Smew, 5 Oystercatcher, Golden Plover, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Green Sandpiper, Barn Owl, Lesser spotted Woodpecker and Yellowhammer.

Things are picking up at the moment, highlights today were 3 Goldeneye, 8 species of wader including 2 Avocet, 2 LRP, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 Dunlin, 1 Ruff and several Redshank. 6 Little Gull plus singing Willow Warblers and Blackcaps.
Also reported were Common Tern, Ring Ouzel and Grasshopper Warbler.

Thanks for the updates👍🏻

Those of us that cannot manage the trek over to Muddleton appreciate the postings but i cannot help but notice that the frequency of postings has nosedived and that is putting it mildly. Not all of us use either Twitter or Facebook or are privvy to updates for the ‘chosen few’.

Again thanks to the contributors:t:

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

Thanks for the updates👍🏻

Those of us that cannot manage the trek over to Muddleton appreciate the postings but i cannot help but notice that the frequency of postings has nosedived and that is putting it mildly. Not all of us use either Twitter or Facebook or are privvy to updates for the ‘chosen few’.

Again thanks to the contributors:t:

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

Sightings for Middleton Lakes are fully updated daily on Steve Pick's Mercian Birding blog - no chosen few

https://mercianbirding.blogspot.com/

I do not doubt they are but if you want adverts, spyware and unauthorised use of your data by Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg then fine - i don’t.

The downside is people like the idiot i crossed paths with on Walton Hill a week ago and increasing suppression of bird information or dissemination to the cho.........😉

Remember - nothing is ‘free’ and even speech has a price👍🏻

I do not doubt they are but if you want adverts, spyware and unauthorised use of your data by Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg then fine - i don’t.

The downside is people like the idiot i crossed paths with on Walton Hill a week ago and increasing suppression of bird information or dissemination to the cho.........��

Remember - nothing is ‘free’ and even speech has a price����

For someone who waxes lyrical about the good old days of Nancys I find your stance disingenuous - information has never been more widely available; you might have a search a tiny bit for it (or not get yourself banned from Twitter …) eg the "West Midlands Birding" Facebook page / news service I run with Adam A and Kay D had nearly 900 members whilst there are other free-to-air sites such as Staffs Bird News and WorcesterBirding plus the above mentioned Mercian Birding.

No winky

Last edited:
Worcester Birding now suppresses.

I still have a Twitter account i just do not post.

The Pandora’s box is open and there has never been so much info i agree and i am no Luddite harking back to Nancy’s but i am glad to have been birding at that time. A lot of so-called ‘birders’ do not move an inch towards their car and GPS without micro-checking the Internet and leaving nothing to serendipity.

Birds generally get found by ‘patch’ birders but there a lots that piggy-back and Blogs etc, like it or not, are part of the problem...

Laurie -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back