• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie In America (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

Anyone watched this excellent new series?
Bill back to his best when he's on his own rather than
getting over excited with Kate Humble.
He has genuine enthusiasm and interest in what he is talking about and is very easy to watch.
Great feature of Red tailed Hawks in New York centre and a vast wetland between 2 airports where apparanltly all you could hear where the birds and the reeds! How big must that place be?
Missed last nights program,parents evening, but looking forward to the repeat on tuesday and the rest of the series.

haven't seen any off these programmes,but i usually enjoy his enthusiasm and love for the natural world,won't bee able to see the repeat on tuesday either because i am out but i am sure the series will appear on sky at some point in the near future

both progs have been good, i loved the first one. the last 5 mins on hawk mountain? such a vast country. trees as far as the eyes could see. also the scrub blue jay, how cool was that bird, almost as if it had acting lessons.

i watched another good prog tonight on five, Nick Bakers wierd creatures. it was mostly about vampire fish that swim up wee holes( sorry). But he tryed to find a vampire bat but failed. i will tune in next week.

Yeah watched Nick Baker too. My sons cringed when they heard how the vampire fish got in there! He's another guy who sounds genuine and has a love for what he's doing,rather than just "presenting". Met him at the bird fair a few years ago and he's a really nice guy but very much shorter than we imagined.

Managed to miss the first half of the Florida programme twice, (caught him leaving Merritt Island twice) but I've set to record the Tuesday show.

Did he go anywhere before Merritt?

If only Bill Oddie would stop trying to be funny (eg, putting on regional accents for no reason) he'd be an excellent presenter. His producer should have a quiet word in his ear and tell him he hasn't been amusing since 1969, possibly not even then.
I do agree that he's not as bad in the US programmes as he was with Kate Humble; some of his hyperactive larking around in Spring/Autumnwatch would have been embarrassing in a 10 year-old.

Sean

ghostrider said:
Yeah watched Nick Baker too. My sons cringed when they heard how the vampire fish got in there! He's another guy who sounds genuine and has a love for what he's doing,rather than just "presenting". Met him at the bird fair a few years ago and he's a really nice guy but very much shorter than we imagined.
even though he is a local lad i haven't met him but i agree, everything i've seen him in he seem interested in what he's doing. i think he started on the really wild show with michala strachan (phwaar)

Absolutely love bill oddie programmes.he is king of the birdwatchers,and his messing around sometimes is great and lightens the mood.bill oddie bill oddie put your hands all over my body!!!!!!!!1 :D

Enjoyed Hawk mountain - but would have liked a caption for some of the raptors shown, and Florida too.

I think Oddie is one you either like or find irritating but I'm sure his enthusiasm rubs off on many and he probably irritates those already hooked on nature.

His current series remind me very much of Gosney's series of videos - they too are a great watch IMHO.

I'd love to know whether this is the program Bill Oddie really wants to make, the one he thinks will lead most people to appreciate nature, or the one the producers thought they could sell. I was very keen to see this because of the number of times he has mentioned his Birding in America in his books, but the program pads out the birding with other nature stuff or enjoyable fluff. I've enjoyed it, but I'd have enjoyed something with more birding more.

I cant seem to find it on here in the US. For that matter I cant believe there is not one American made bird program.

dogfish said:
If only Bill Oddie would stop trying to be funny (eg, putting on regional accents for no reason) he'd be an excellent presenter. His producer should have a quiet word in his ear and tell him he hasn't been amusing since 1969, possibly not even then.
I do agree that he's not as bad in the US programmes as he was with Kate Humble; some of his hyperactive larking around in Spring/Autumnwatch would have been embarrassing in a 10 year-old.

Sean
Come on Sean liven up, Bill Oddie is a star, funny, enthusiastic, down to earth & his love of birds & wildlife is second to none. He has done so much to get people interested.

Rod.

I see what you meen he does like his advertising but i still have a soft spot for Bill. I used to love the goodies when i was a teenager in the 70's and to find out that Bill Oddie was a birdwatcher somehow gave us some "street cred". Like finding out that the great Eric Morecambe was a birdwatcher and the greatest rock drummer of all time Neil Peart is also a birdwatcher. I sense a new thread starting here.

I have to think it's an act. I met him a few years ago in California on a pelagic trip, and he seemed very low key and down to earth. No smarmy wisecracking at all.

I'd love to see the program on Hawk Mountain, too. I live about 30 miles from there and hawkwatch on the same ridge (at Bake Oven Knob). FYI, there are at least 5 different hawkwatches along that same ridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back