• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonaparte's Gull landing sequence (1 Viewer)

herb barnes

Here are a sequence of three photos showing the wing positions of a landing Bonaparte's Gull.

Attachments

• gull21_resize.jpg
    gull21_resize.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 170
  • gull22_resize.jpg
    gull22_resize.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 152
  • gull23_resize.jpg
    gull23_resize.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 167
Andrew Whitehouse said:
Nice pictures Herb - isn't it a Laughing Gull though?

Don't think so, Andrew.. The laughing gulls have long since left here to head south. Bonaparte's come in later and work over schools of breaking fish in the Chesapeake in very late fall. A closer photo is shown of one in my gallery.

Cheers,

Herb Barnes

herb barnes said:
Don't think so, Andrew.. The laughing gulls have long since left here to head south. Bonaparte's come in later and work over schools of breaking fish in the Chesapeake in very late fall. A closer photo is shown of one in my gallery.

Cheers,

Herb Barnes

Hi Herb

Any chance of posting the closer pic, 'cause that doesn't look like a Bonapartes to me either! Far too much black on wingtips, and no translucent patch in inner primaries - admittedly the dark wings and mantle could be a photographic effect, but combined with other points I would lean towards Laughing Gull as well (and the bill looks rather heavy..).

herb barnes said:

Cheers,

Herb Barnes

Sorry, Herb, but that isn't a Bonaparte's Gull. Bill shape, structure, leg colour and wing pattern are all wrong for Boney's and all right for Laughing Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back