• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coopers Hawk?/Milford, CT (1 Viewer)

Fairly confident that this is a Cooper's Hawk based on markings and its medium size. Welcome the thoughts of the experts in this community.

Attachments

• IMG_9556_v2.jpg
    IMG_9556_v2.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9557_v2.jpg
    IMG_9557_v2.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9558_v2.jpg
    IMG_9558_v2.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9559_v2.jpg
    IMG_9559_v2.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9560_v2.jpg
    IMG_9560_v2.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 98
To me the breast markings look broad and reddish-brown and the legs look skinny; I favor Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Head shape and eye position and the long tail with shorter outer feathers makes this a definite Cooper's Hawk.

“Shorter” outer tail feathers? To determine this an undertail view of the closed tail is needed which none of the photos provides. To me, the skinny legs and heavily marked underparts continue to scream Sharpie.

I'd vote Sharp-shinned, but there is almost always disagreement on these accipter photos. The legs look thin. Without an accipiter in flight, or good view of the tail feathers, its often left to subjective analysis. I've been trying for years to figure these perched accipiters out and its usually the same back and forth in the threads.

Somebody forward this to Sibley and he can do his 'Ivory-billed' magic on it! It just seems as if it should be settle-able somehow, or what's photography for?

Could you measure the average size of the leaves on the hedge top where it was perched, as a step toward getting an objective read on the scale of what's shown in these images?

But do juveniles not differ as much in size between the two species as adults do?

Somebody forward this to Sibley and he can do his 'Ivory-billed' magic on it! It just seems as if it should be settle-able somehow, or what's photography for?

Could you measure the average size of the leaves on the hedge top where it was perched, as a step toward getting an objective read on the scale of what's shown in these images?

But do juveniles not differ as much in size between the two species as adults do?

Juveniles are virtually the same size and weight as adults in both species.

The weights and measurements between the two species are shown in the chart herein:

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/raptors/Coopers.html

Maximum length and weight of a male Cooper's Hawk is 16 inches and 14 ounces.

Maximum length and weight of a Female Sharp-shinned Hawk is 13 inches and 8 ounces.

Cooper's is a "bulkier" bird than a Sharp-shin. I lean toward female Sharp-shin here.

Bob

Last edited:
Here's an imm. Cooper's Hawk for comparison (note the legs).......

Cheers

Attachments

• Accip.5.Aug.'13.jpg
    Accip.5.Aug.'13.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 46
Some Cooper's can have thinner legs (males are smaller) and some have blotchier streaking, especially on the flanks.

The bird in the link below has just about the same leg thickness and body shape (notice it has a flat head with almost no forehead)...and it is certainly a Cooper's.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/media-browser/60324861

I strongly suggest glaudenslager upload this to iNaturalist where it will be identified correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back