• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Falsterbo (1 Viewer)

POP

Does anyone have any information on likely weather in early Sept.
temperatures etc for Falsterbo as a few of us are going over for the hopefully raptor migration.

Many Thanks,

John

Hans,many thanks for your reply,my query was just how much gear i should take re the weather.
Again thank you .

John

September should be fine, indian summer etc., but could break up towards the end; have rainwear for the odd shower (there'll be one if you don't); remember sunset is soon after 19.00 (there's an extra hour until mid-October) so cooler evenings.

The extreme southwest tip of Sweden, facing southern Denmark. Most of the raptors migrating south out of Scandinavia in the fall cross from here to Denmark.

Michael

Thanks! Guess if I'd looked more carefully the first time, I would have picked that up from Hans' and Sidney's locations. :)

And since we Americans tend to be unaware of hawk watches beyond our own shores....

Migration from Siberia too, not just Scandinavia; for some reason the spring migration is in a wide band including the SE coast, but in the autumn most exit via Falsterbo. On dull days they queue up up to 100 km inland, and then off they go on a the first fine day

Sounds a bit like Holiday Beach in southwest Ontario: Hundreds of thousands (over the entire season) of raptor funnel through this area, the southwestern most part of the province, to avoid flights over Great Lake Erie.

I've never been up there (yet). But friends go every fall. And some recorded flights have been truly spectacular: one September day 4-5 years ago clocked some 159,000 Broad-Winged Hawks in a single day!

I subscribe to a listserv from the North American Hawk Watching Association called BirdHawk, and when the daily reports start coming in from all over the eastern US -- which should be soon! -- it's fascinating to see the totals and to 'watch' the waves of raptors as they pour southward.

I'd love to do a wander someday in the fall from places like Holiday Beach, to Hawk Mountain, to places around Corpus Christi, TX, and on down to Veracruz, to follow the hawks!

I just found this site about Falsterbo -maps, guides, description, accommodation lists etc. JTHATCH possibly knows of it already, but the others might be interested. Choose a language on the fist page (Swedish/English).

www.skof.se/fbo/fbo.htm

As you can see it's part of the Skof site (the local organization, Skånes ornitologiska förening), but it feels like a site of it's own once you're there.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back