• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera backpack recommendations (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Just a quick trawl for some ideas...

I've got a huge Lowepro backpack which takes my 600mm f4 etc, and I've also got a baby rucksack which I got as a freebie a few years ago. What I'm looking for is something in between. Something that will take my 400mm f5.6, maybe 2 camera bodies, a couple of smaller lenses for insects, ideally a sandwich box/thermos too, maybe squeeze in a jumper too. Preferably something that has the detachable Velcro divider system for maximum flexibility. Obviously there is the Lowepro range, but they are not exactly the cheapest, and there are several alternatives these days, so I was just wondering what other people were using?

I have a flipside 400 , I like the bag , but I think it will be too small for your needs , also doesn't have a separate compartment for food and drinks etc .

I get grub in the front pocket and drinks in one of the two side mesh bottle holders

Reckon it would be just the job for the OP especially at the excellent price of £57

I get grub in the front pocket and drinks in one of the two side mesh bottle holders

Reckon it would be just the job for the OP especially at the excellent price of £57

He said a sandwich box , a flask and a jumper !
That would be more than pushing it !

Sandwich box in the front pocket, flask in the bottle mesh and jumper over the top held by the two straps

Use mine like that with a waterproof instead of a jumper, went out like that last Friday for the day

Sandwich box in the front pocket, flask in the bottle mesh and jumper over the top held by the two straps

Use mine like that with a waterproof instead of a jumper, went out like that last Friday for the day

I do that with the waterproof too :)
I still think it is too small , a flask won't fit in the mesh pockets .
Putting a sandwich box in the small pocket could cause disaster if it gets pushed towards the camera section (bag falls or dropped) .

To get round this problem I went to an army surplus outlet and got some water canteen holders , these slide on the waist strap and hold quite a lot .
If these are a little too big then ammo pouches do the same .

If I had the choice and the cash now I'd be looking at the Kata range .
Was another thread about this topic and they bemoaned the weight of much larger Kata bag (double in weight) to a flipside .
No one seemed to notice that the Kata has an aluminium skeleton protecting the camera enclosure !

Each to their own choices though , every bag is a (bag full?:p) of compromise !

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions so far. Personally I think the flipside does look a little small, but that's just going by the picture - I can't really be sure without looking at a 'real' one.

I'm still waiting for a 400 5.6 ordered it a couple of weeks ago ?!!

If it arrives in time , I'll load up my flipside 400 with a 550d 70-200 f4 and 400f5.6 and take a pic so you can better judge the fit .
Might be some help .

The Think Tank Airport Antidote is a good bag for flexibility of space. Designed for a 300f2.8 it will take a 500mmf4 at a push and also has a separate laptop bag and compartment to hold it. Very comfortable with good strap padding and also aircraft friendly ( the slightly bigger Airport Acceleration is exactly the same but takes the 500mm with a body attached).
The downside on both is a) price..pretty expensive b) not always suitable as outdoor bags IMO, the weatherproof rain cover is a joke.

I can say now that the flip side 400 is a little small with a 400mm in .
I can fit the 400 , 70-200 f4 , 550d if the vertical divisions are moved over a lot .
This leaves a very small , useless part down one side .
I will say that I am very careful with my gear , and I did this because I could feel edges of the lenses through the padding .
so I stripped out one side , moved it all across and used the spare dividers to beef up the padding .
I think I will only be taking one lens a time out in this bag in future .
Might be me being over careful , but I can't afford to replace my kit .

For years ive been using big square bag..sometimes box..on a fishing trolley..if a fence or obstacle appears just lift bag then trolley over..but im lazy!

More on the Flipside 400 ...
Decided to remove all kit that I do not need for that particular day , so only lens , body and cleaning stuff .
Filled the empty spaces with rolled-up bubble wrap .
IMHO there maybe just enough room , but the lenses are tight against each other (through the divisions) , and does not leave room for any knocks the bag may take .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back