• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone 5 might be good (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
It puzzles me why Swaro did not launch an iPhone5 adapter. It's pretty clear smartphone cameras are taking over the entry photography niche. Kowa saw this trend and has responded. Of course, they will need a new adapter to fit the iPhone5 now. But these look relatively cheap/easy to produce so hopefully someone can step up if the scope OEMs drop the ball.

I played around with the iPhone 5 camera specs in my spreadsheet today and was suprised to see it achieves the max focal length/largest aperture possible for digiscoping.

Specs:
Sensor size 3264x2448 = ~8mp
fl=4.13mm (33mm effective) F2.4
Base ISO 50

It is a fixed focal length lens with only digital zoom available so it is best to use a zoom eyepiece on the scope. You want to zoom the eyepiece so the exit pupil is <= the 1.7mm physical lens aperture (4.13/2.4).

On the Kowa 88x, zooming the eyepiece to ~50x+ magnification (~1.7mm exit pupil) yields a focal length of ~1700mm @ F2.4. That's nearly a full stop faster aperture value than what other cameras can achieve at that effective focal length!

I don't use an iPhone so can't test this but I would be curious to learn if shutter speeds would be faster than a typical P&S at its base ISO in this scenario. Volunteers?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back