Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bargin days out planting

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 22:43   #1
Dog

Bargin days out planting

Last week I had a phone call off Tim Marlow to say he had had 3 Field Cow-wheats with Brian Laney( Lizard Orchid) & a small patch of Small-flowered Buttercup, 2 species I had looked for before & dipped on. So last Sunday I thought I will get up at 5 am go down to Bedford try & see both species & back home for 8 am, then go to work but in the end I didn't bother & just went to work.
Monday morning I was going out to cut & burn 300 sq metres of Japanese Knotweed but I didn't know where but it turned out to be Bedford. Got on site to find it hadn't been sprayed off & was full of nesting birds so was bought breakfast next door to site, then we came home via Small-leaved Buttercup & four spikes of Field Cow-wheat & billed the company 150 for the privilage of not doing a lot.

Mike.
Old Monday 8th July 2013, 19:35   #2
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Field Cow-wheat is one of my favourite plants. I saw it a few weeks ago at its last Dutch site, but I never managed to get myself to Bedford. Unfortunately I never knew a site for Small-flowered Buttercup (apparently it occurs/red in Hatfield Forest but I never managed to find anything there!)
I wish people would pay me to twitch plants!
Old Monday 8th July 2013, 22:16   #3
lizard orchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Last week I had a phone call off Tim Marlow to say he had had 3 Field Cow-wheats with Brian Laney( Lizard Orchid) & a small patch of Small-flowered Buttercup, 2 species I had looked for before & dipped on. So last Sunday I thought I will get up at 5 am go down to Bedford try & see both species & back home for 8 am, then go to work but in the end I didn't bother & just went to work.
Monday morning I was going out to cut & burn 300 sq metres of Japanese Knotweed but I didn't know where but it turned out to be Bedford. Got on site to find it hadn't been sprayed off & was full of nesting birds so was bought breakfast next door to site, then we came home via Small-leaved Buttercup & four spikes of Field Cow-wheat & billed the company 150 for the privilage of not doing a lot.

Mike.
Glad you got to see the plants. The small flowered buttercup was thought possibly extinct for Beds until I found the site you went to. I think it is the only current site for the species in Beds. Good to hear you saw four field cow wheat, thats one more than I saw with Tim the other week.

Brian Laney.
Old Monday 8th July 2013, 22:20   #4
Dog

Always thought about doing plant tours for rare & scarce plants, having seen many over the last 30 years, don't know how much interest there would be.

Mike.
Old Monday 8th July 2013, 22:28   #5
lizard orchid

Quote:
Always thought about doing plant tours for rare & scarce plants, having seen many over the last 30 years, don't know how much interest there would be.

Mike.
There could well be some interest.

Brian Laney.
Old Monday 8th July 2013, 23:00   #6
LizandDave

Cow Wheat

I think this is common cow wheat? Saw it in Oldbury Hill NT woods last month and also at Toys Hill Kent.
Dave and Liz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldbury Hill circular 100613 02.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	451654  
Old Tuesday 9th July 2013, 00:48   #7
lizard orchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizandDave View Post
I think this is common cow wheat? Saw it in Oldbury Hill NT woods last month and also at Toys Hill Kent.
Dave and Liz
Dear Dave and Liz,
Thats correct Common cow wheat, a rare species here in Northamptonshire.

Brian Laney.
Old Friday 19th July 2013, 07:45   #8
Dog

I had to go & do a Bat survey on A11 near Thetford last night & one plant I had looked for in the Brecks before 'Flixweed' I had failed to find but with all the turned over ground, there is loads of it through the road works & there was loads next to where I was surveying so another new plant for me for free.

Mike.
Old Wednesday 28th August 2013, 21:01   #9
Dog

While strimming the embankment of the sea-defences at Thornham today I noticed a Composite' that looked like Marsh Sow-thistle growing out of the Phrag' bed but having looked at 'A Flora of Norfolk' the map only shows it occuring in the Broads, does it occur elsewhere in Norfolk, also does anybody Know of any recent sites in Norfolk for Slender Hares-ear as I see it has been recorded at Thornhamin in 98. I will be back on site next week for 4 days so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Old Wednesday 28th August 2013, 22:34   #10
lizard orchid

Quote:
While strimming the embankment of the sea-defences at Thornham today I noticed a Composite' that looked like Marsh Sow-thistle growing out of the Phrag' bed but having looked at 'A Flora of Norfolk' the map only shows it occuring in the Broads, does it occur elsewhere in Norfolk, also does anybody Know of any recent sites in Norfolk for Slender Hares-ear as I see it has been recorded at Thornhamin in 98. I will be back on site next week for 4 days so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Mike, you might have found a new site for the Marsh Sow Thistle so don't debunk it! Unless it was a big perennial sow thistle. Did you get a picture? It would be worth sending in your record to the county recorder if it is correct. I am happy to check a picture if you get one of the Marsh Sow Thistle you found but please get pics of leaves, flowers, stem, etc, as this will be useful for ID.

Brian Laney.
Old Friday 30th August 2013, 18:10   #11
Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard orchid View Post
Mike, you might have found a new site for the Marsh Sow Thistle so don't debunk it! Unless it was a big perennial sow thistle. Did you get a picture? It would be worth sending in your record to the county recorder if it is correct. I am happy to check a picture if you get one of the Marsh Sow Thistle you found but please get pics of leaves, flowers, stem, etc, as this will be useful for ID.

Brian Laney.
I will take a couple of field guides with me & key it out inbetween Strimming the embankments, chain-sawing shrubby sea-blite & grabbing the odd Reptile or Amphibian.

Mike.
Old Saturday 7th September 2013, 19:48   #12
Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard orchid View Post

Brian Laney.
Found out the Marsh Sow-thistles were discovered a couple of years ago, but nobody knows how they came to be there so far away from any known sites.

Mike.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: