Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Planting for birds

Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 00:23   #1
birdlesswonder

Planting for birds

Hello everyone
I live on 10 wooded acres and would like to buy some fruiting plants to attract birds. The problem I'm coming across is most require full sun to partial shade and that is hard to come by in the woods. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions on what to plant. I live in Pennsylvania, US. Zone 4-6 depending on which map I look at

Thanks
Old Wednesday 23rd April 2014, 02:40   #2
Hamhed

One plant that comes to mind since they are abundant on our property here in western NC is Spicebush (Lindera Benzoin). They are known for being species that prefers damp areas but they grow just about anywhere here, except maybe full sun. They do fine and fruit well in full shade. In the fall, when they fruit, they are attractive to migrating thrushes as well as resident birds. They are dioecious, meaning you'll need both male and female plants. I haven't found it easy to sex the plants by flowers so it might be best to plant a quantity to insure pollionation.
Another that fruits in shade is Strawberry Bush (Euonymus Americanus). I've read that Grouse and Turkeys are most likely to eat the fruits this small, sparse plant produces. Ginseng fruits are also a Grouse and Turkey food.
As you may have guessed by now, sunshine equals energy equals fruit. Deep shade will be problematic for fruiting plants. Even a small amount of light increases your options.
If you can get a Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) vine to climb up to where it gets a little light, it is excellent for attracting a variety of birds. Same for Poison Ivy. Tough on certain humans but birds seem to enjoy them throughout the fall and winter.

Steve

Last edited by Hamhed : Wednesday 23rd April 2014 at 02:41. Reason: spelling

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th April 2014, 02:42   #3
birdlesswonder

Thank you
Old Friday 2nd May 2014, 16:14   #4
KHamblett

You could try American beautyberry, which does well in the shade.
Also, you may also look into various holly trees or shrubs.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: