Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spotted Flycatcher

Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 18:48   #1
Gronk08

Spotted Flycatcher

Hi

Just wondered if anyone one else is seeing more Spotted Flycatcher this year?
I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield.

Tim
Old Saturday 6th June 2020, 21:51   #2
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk08 View Post
Hi

I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield.

Tim
Iíve seen none despite looking when out, but then the SEast is currently not a good place for them unlike yesteryear.
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 13:31   #3
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk08 View Post
Hi

I am not sure if it's a case of the places I have managed to actually visit during the current restrictions are just more Spotted Flycatcher "friendly" or that this year there are just more around? Basically I have been restricted to birding in North Staffordshire/Stoke-on-Trent area rather than going further afield. Tim
None of the expected locations within 8 km of my house are occupied, it seems, this year. Maybe they've just moved away a little bit?
MJB
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 14:24   #4
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
None of the expected locations within 8 km of my house are occupied, it seems, this year. Maybe they've just moved away a little bit?
MJB
Social distancing?

John
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 16:20   #5
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Social distancing? John
From the increased numbers of Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Blackbirds this year, perhaps it's more 'antisocial distancing'!
MJB
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 17:32   #6
aeshna5

Certainly none here- bit like Ken but other side of the metropolis. I more usually connect with them August-September here.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 09:18   #7
pratincol

A local birdwatcher reported 9 inseveral separate territories yesterday.
I always check up a nearby location where a pair return year after year. They're back again for another season.
All the above are in upland areas.
Before moving, I spent years counting them on a nearby limestone escarpment which also houses a large woodland, as they returned south.
They were as regular as clockwork over the years often stopping off in exactly the same locations.
Most years I'd count between 40 and 45 in late August to September. The record for one day was a remarkable 13.

Last edited by pratincol : Wednesday 10th June 2020 at 09:37.
Old Wednesday 10th June 2020, 23:09   #8
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratincol View Post
They were as regular as clockwork over the years often stopping off in exactly the same locations.
Most years I'd count between 40 and 45 in late August to September. The record for one day was a remarkable 13.
During the early Ď70ís I can recall circa 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London, Epping Forest on a single day Aug/Sep....last year I didnít see one!

Oddly enough though I imaged a single bird in my neighbours garden along with a Pied Fly! needless to say a rare event!

Cheers
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 10:36   #9
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
During the early Ď70ís I can recall circa 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London, Epping Forest on a single day Aug/Sep....last year I didnít see one!

Oddly enough though I imaged a single bird in my neighbours garden along with a Pied Fly! needless to say a rare event!

Cheers
Either it's time I stopped putting off getting some spectacles or my computer screen needs a good clean. My first glance at your post read: "During the early '70s I can recall orca 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London."
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 12:33   #10
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Either it's time I stopped putting off getting some spectacles or my computer screen needs a good clean. My first glance at your post read: "During the early '70s I can recall orca 20+ on Chingford Plain, NEast London."
They had some very high tides in the Ď70s donít forget
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 13:45   #11
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Iíd get those new specs ASAP Graham! lest you start ďstringingĒ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
They had some very high tides in the Ď70s donít forget
Quite right Richard!...almost adjacent too (orca a mile) is a local beauty spot called...High Beech!
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 15:29   #12
YuShan

I have seen many Spotted Flycatchers this spring, more than other years, but I'm not sure if that is because there are many now of because I have been staying close to home this year because of lockdown.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:44   #13
Gronk08

Thanks for all of the replies I was just trying to get an understanding of the situation, it does possibly appear to be a lock down issue and just that I am squeezing every last drop out of the different local areas this year. I have visited some locations that I may have visited 3 - 4 times in a year at least 10 times so increasing my chances of seeing most species a location may offer.

Cheers

Tim.
Old Friday 12th June 2020, 13:26   #14
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

None for me this year yet (no access to breeding areas with virus travel restrictions), but expect them on my local patch on post-breeding dispersal from about mid August on
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: