• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

Mandarins

Do Mandarin still frequent Felbrigg and if so, are they observable all year round? Thanks in advance.

Hi Phil - I follow Simon @PoppylandNature on Twitter and he visits Felbrigg regularly. Today he reports 2 Mandarin this evening, the first he has had there this year.

Regards, Paul

Last edited:
There were 4+ Hens and a Merlin at the Roydon Common roost on Sunday 21st but no Pallid. It's not been seen at all since Sat 20th as far as I know.

I saw it on Monday 22nd at Flitcham.

At the barns on the Flitcham to Docking Road just outside Flitcham. Very good views it was eating a little bird it had caught in the hedgerow along the side of the road.

It was on the floor about 50 yards from us.

Long eared owl.

Out walking the dog this afternoon and saw what I thought was a tawny owl . It landed on a branch just along the hedge row from me.

I got to within about 50 yds and saw clearly it was a long eared owl , my first ever in the wild.

Still pleased with my sighting , turned the corner of a field and there was a barn owl looking straight at me from the branch of a tree. I stood there for a couple of minutes watching it quarter a meadow .

Regards Graham

Titchwell March 2nd

Today's highlights

Avocet - 58 on fresh marsh
Chiffchaff - 1 on Fen Trail
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed late afternoon
Red crested pochard - 11 on East Trail
Barn owl - 2 on East Trail

Paul

I was stuck in stationary traffic on Queens Road at 5.20 last night, but had the pleasant distraction of the Norwich starling murmuration to ease the frustration. It seems rather larger than it was when I saw it a few weeks ago, and concentrated over St Stephen's Street and the roundabout. Excellent!

Stew

Titchwell March 3rd

Today's highlights

Rough legged buzzard - 1 over the reserve late morning/early afternoon (photo by Les Bunyan)
Avocet - 68 on the reserve
Brambling - 2 pairs on feeders

Attachments

• rlb titchwell.jpg
    rlb titchwell.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 218
Quail

Does anyone know if Quail are breed and released in Norfolk specifically around Hall farm/Narford lake on the Narford rd. I ask this as 3 weeks ago I could have sworn I had a Quail flush from the side of the rd. I know the are migratory, but the size and way it flew up flapping like hell and then quickly dropping down said Quail. Cheers and Oh don't shoot me down

Out walking the dog this afternoon and saw what I thought was a tawny owl . It landed on a branch just along the hedge row from me.

I got to within about 50 yds and saw clearly it was a long eared owl , my first ever in the wild.

Still pleased with my sighting , turned the corner of a field and there was a barn owl looking straight at me from the branch of a tree. I stood there for a couple of minutes watching it quarter a meadow .

Regards Graham

Very nice Graham!
I would keep that site to yourself and keep an eye on it, and an ear. Hopefully they will be breeding in the area. Very few records in the county each year.

I thought I had a LEO calling near me recently; turned out to be an Eagle Owl in a cage in someone's garden!

Cheers,
Jim.

G.W.Egret

Hoping to see the great white egret at Bowthorpe tomorrow and was hoping someone could tell me the best place to view it from. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Dennis.

There isn't necessarily a best place to see it, because it moves between the Bowthorpe and Earlham sides. If it hasn't been reported before you go looking then it might be best to scan the marsh on both sides from the bridge over the river (Tollgate Way) to locate it. Be aware that if it is in the area of wet woodland south of the pools at Bowthorpe then you won't see it from the main road.

Good luck.

Hoping to see the great white egret at Bowthorpe tomorrow and was hoping someone could tell me the best place to view it from. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Titchwell March 7th

Today's highlights

Yellow legged gull - adult on beach this morning
Eider - 21 offshore
Red crested pochard - 4 on Patsy's reedbed (East Trail is now closed until Easter while we finish the boardwalk replacement)
Dunlin - 76 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Brambling - 3+ on feeders

Paul

Titchwell March 10th

Today's highlights

Rough legged buzzard - 1 over Thornham Marsh @ 12:15
Red kite - 1 west @ 13:10
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 3 at Thornham Point
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Woodcock - 1 over Meadow Trail